• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need help OC'ng AMD Phenom BE 965

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Went into bios and set everything to auto except voltages and FSB at 211 and here is what ASUS Overdrive reported as defaults on auto - doesn't look that much different to me from previous Overdrive sheet where I had entered a variety of settings.

AMD-OD-ALL AUTO EXCEPT VOLTAGE.PNG

Popped FSB up to 215 ran Prime95 for 4 passes then got BSOD. So now what to change from AUTO to what? Will look back at comments and try to find some answers.

I'll edit this going forward -
1. set CPI-NB Freq to 2500 and change from the drop down menu.
2.Based on this comment "HT Link frequency should be kept between 1800 and 2000 mhz on the Deneb CPUs. It won't tolerate much above stock at all and there is no performance advantage to overclocking it anyway" I left HT Link Freq where it is now on auto - 1899.
3. "You probably need to add some CPUNB voltage by now. Usually, about 1.225-1.25 will do". I had been at 1.225 but since I'm crashing trying to run higher speeds I moved it up to 1.25.
4. "I would bump the ram voltage up to 1.55 if I were you." It was at 1.54 so I bumped it one notch to 1.56
5. "The 965 Deneb can often be made stable at 4.0 ghz but some won't, now matter what you do. And it usually takes 1.5-1.55 vcore to get it there if it will do 4.0." Bumped Vcore to 1.525 - in the middle of 1.5-1.55.
6."I would keep an eye on your ram frequency. It's creeping up there and the Deneb ICM (Integrated Memory Controller) is only rated for 1333 mhz and typically will not be stable if the ram is set to 1600 mhz. You should be okay up to 1500 mhz." I left memory frequency alone for the moment. A shot from CPU-ID at current settings is below.
7. "I think you are actually holding the system back too much with HT at 1900, I would remove any entry you have there and see what it defaults to. If it is around 2200, I think the system will be a lot happier. I'm assuming your NB is still at 2532? Was that at default or did you enter a factor for that as well? I believe that is a bit much. HT and NB are going to be better off the closer they are, there is nothing wrong with the NB being at 2532 or higher than HT, but I believe the gap right now and the slow'er 1900 HT frequency may be hurting you. My secondary concern would then be the NB frequency of 2532, at a 211 FSB that would probably be at least one factor higher than I would intend to run." Not sure what to try at this point on this remark. I understand it, but in No. 2 above the advice was 1800-2000. I'll come back to this remark.

Going to try OC'ng FSB first and based on what happens I'll try throwing FSB back to 200 and trying with just the multi and new increased voltages.
new overclock mem from CPU-ID.PNG

Last edited:
New Overclock Settings Results

Been running Prime95 for about 20 minutes at FSB 215 and no failure yet. Bumping FSB to 216.
New Overclock.PNG

Attachments

• New Overclock AMD Overdrive Status Monitor.PNG
    New Overclock AMD Overdrive Status Monitor.PNG
    28.1 KB · Views: 69
  • New Overclock HWMonitor.PNG
    New Overclock HWMonitor.PNG
    39.4 KB · Views: 69
Your core temps of "0" c indicate you have core unlocking enabled. Since you have no cores to unlock you might as well disable that so you can directly monitor your core temps.

Thanks. I'll do that when I jump back into BIOS. I jacked voltage to 1.55 and it is currently been running Prime95 for over 20 minutes at 4Ghz. It crashed on the first attempt at 4Ghz with Vcore voltage at 1.525 and you had commented it usually took 1.55 to get to 4 Ghz so I pushed it up to 1.55 with AMD overdrive and set FSB to 217.

It had been running prime95 at 4Ghz for 25 minutes and max CPU temp I've seen is 51C. When all else fails follow the instructions you gave me Trents. I'll save this in my overclock profiles for when I want the most it can give me. I also have to throw the two sticks of ram back in and see if it can still run 4Ghz.

How would you judge the trade off between 4Ghz with 4 gigs of ram versus a slower speed with 8 gigs of ram?

Here's the final snips:
Final Overclock 4Ghz.PNG

Final HWMonitor 4Ghz.PNG

With most applications you will see no benefit with 8 gb of ram. With things like Photoship and CAD you would or if you do an extreme amount of multitasking.

I threw the ram back in and ran Prime95 for about 10 minutes as a quick check at 4ghz and decided to call it a night. I'll save this overclock in my overclock profiles but I will back it down a little for everyday. Whatever will let me lower Vcore voltage a bit.

Trents, you are da man. Thanks for all your help. Greatly appreciated. I disabled core unlocking as you advised. My first unlocked CPU experience. This is a great forum and you are an outstanding asset to the overclocking community. Sorry I stumbled around a bit. I'll play with it sometime later leaving the voltages where they are and just use the multiplier and see what I get for the fun of it. Very much appreciate your time, patience and expertise. Later. This was frustrating for a while because my temps were so good. All's well that ends well!

Last edited:
Your Wel... oh.. nm.

1.55 is a bit high at 4Ghz, if we wanted to push to 4.3Ghz+ maybe that voltage would be necessary. I do not believe at this point the extra voltage to the CPU is necessary. If you backed up an dropped the HT and NB one factor to 11, this may be a happier system that requires less volts, less forcing. (215x12=2580, your current speed)

Either way, good luck sounds like you may not need additional help or motivation.

I threw the ram back in and ran Prime95 for about 10 minutes as a quick check at 4ghz and decided to call it a night. I'll save this overclock in my overclock profiles but I will back it down a little for everyday. Whatever will let me lower Vcore voltage a bit.

Trents, you are da man. Thanks for all your help. Greatly appreciated. I disabled core unlocking as you advised. My first unlocked CPU experience. This is a great forum and you are an outstanding asset to the overclocking community. Sorry I stumbled around a bit. I'll play with it sometime later leaving the voltages where they are and just use the multiplier and see what I get for the fun of it. Very much appreciate your time, patience and expertise. Later. This was frustrating for a while because my temps were so good. All's well that ends well!

You're most welcome. The higher end Denebs like the 975-980 were pretty easy to get to 4.0 or even a little higher but the 955-965 models were more difficult and as I said, many need around 1.5 1.55 vcore to get to 4.0 ghz. Of course, individual CPUs even of the same model number will vary somewhat in their response to overclocking. You apparently did not get a "cherry" of a 965.

Last edited:
Trent, I disagree he has a c3 stepping chip which should be good for 4.2~4.3ghz with the temps and cooling he is reporting. It is a cherry of a chip for the Phenom family, the limit will be determined by what extent he wants to stop at. Every cpu is different, but his board will be his limit before the 965 is.

Trent, I disagree he has a c3 stepping chip which should be good for 4.2~4.3ghz.

Can you guarantee a 965BE will run 4.2~4.3Ghz? No I cannot either. I have bought the stepping/week/day and all the stuff that was supposed to make my cpu be in the 'super' group and wound up with a dog. So I know cpus are n0t all created equal. A bow wow is just a bow wow, no matter how good my buddies stuff might run.

Can you guarantee a 965BE will run 4.2~4.3Ghz? No I cannot either. I have bought the stepping/week/day and all the stuff that was supposed to make my cpu be in the 'super' group and wound up with a dog. So I know cpus are n0t all created equal. A bow wow is just a bow wow, no matter how good my buddies stuff might run.

Keep stirring, but no I do not agree with you. The c3 stepping was rated for lower power usage, from a starting point it will be a happier CPU than the other 965's for overclocking. I again state what I did before - board or ram would be your limiting factor first if your stuck at 4.0Ghz. That is why you can not guarantee it, this is for certain. If you set your memory right and timings correct you should be able to get your FSB to a stable point to hit within that 100mhz range window I describe. If your motherboard is up to the task and your not hitting at least 4.2Ghz, your a noob (an in Bangwhiz defense he is getting a bit of voltage drop, see ref. comment of other limiting factors).

"Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, you might want to think about buying a quality product..."

I was talking about the C3 955s-965s, not the 140w C2s. The C2s were practically impossible to get to 4.0 on air and most topped out at about 3.7-3.8.

I was talking about the C3 955s-965s, not the 140w C2s. The C2s were practically impossible to get to 4.0 on air and most topped out at about 3.7-3.8.

Yeah my even my 965BE, C3 topped out at about 3.8 on air (hyper 212+) and NB @ 3000mhz. THe 970s and 980s are better overclockers imo.

Allow me to mix in my experiences here; I also have the BE 965 now :)
I've just been testing (nothing but) the multiplier in 20 min sessions this evening, and I crashed at 19,5 so I'm running an overnight session at 19x now.
In my eyes temps are good (Noctua impresses me) - what do do next? :)

You should consider starting you own thread. You're endanger of hijacking the current one. And if you start a new one you'll get more action because this one is dated and marked "Solved".

People concentrate better when there are separate threads. Plus us oldesters that try to help, do not get so freeken confused from within a post.

Back