• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED HELP W/ AMDFX-8150

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrwayne410

Registered
I have an amd fx 8150 and a corsair h80 cooler,
i have 4 sticks of 4gb patriot vipers 3 series ram 1866,
a 1050 watt psu
2 radeon hd 6870s

does anybody have a clue what I should push my components to?
i pushed my cpu to 4.6ghz stable for 1 hour
ram pushed to 2000 without any test
and i overclock my gpu and i get artifacts each time.

i need a professionals opinion on how to fine tune my rig to get the most out of it.

Artifacting comes from the GPUs OC/Temps.

What are the ref clock&voltage and your OC clock&voltage?

Well, we have about no info about your rig and its current settings, so it's kind of hard to help you...

EDIT: but you are near the limit for your CPU OC, as well as for your RAM. GPU OC is what will give you the most noticeable increase in gaming perf.

^No worries.
Sure you can get a 15 to 20% clock increase with your GPUs.
But you need a good airflow (upper card in xFire is getting much hotter than lower card), fine tune the fan profile with MSI afterburner, and check if you can tweak the voltage.

to be honest, i keep both fans on each card at 100% all the time

my gpu clock: 900
gpu memory: 1050

mr wayne how did you go about overclocking the GPU's? Overclocking them takes patience, did you try overclocking the cores 5 mhz at a time and testing them and then set them back to stock and do the same for the memory? If you change to many things at one time it makes it very difficult to find a good tune and or figure out which clock speed is set too high. It took me a long time to get the tuning down pat on my 5850, a lot of trial and error. I figured out over time that my card doesn't like being pushed higher then 1150 on the memory, 1000 is stock and in most cases will not run any benchmarks or games over 1145. I also found that I can run over 1000 mhz on my core clock 725 is stock, only if my memory is set below 1140 but for the best performance 1000/1145 is my best OC in most cases. Like I said it is all trial and error and takes patience.

If you are looking to O/C the Cpu then you should do the following. You said above you stressed your 4.6 overclock for one hour stable, what program did you use to stress it? What I feel you should do is the following, if you don't already have these programs downloaded, download Prime95, Hwmonitor "non pro" and Cpu-Z. Open Hwmonitor and run prime for 2 hours to make sure that your 4.6 O/C is stable. Make sure the Cpu temp stays below 70 and the package temp stays below 60. Then post pics back here of the HWmonitor under load and the following tabs of CPU-Z, cpu, spd and memory. Please use the inforum attachment tool to post the pics. I'll post a pic of how to attach pics.

Attachments

• insert image.PNG
    insert image.PNG
    68.9 KB · Views: 91
You can use overdrive to get a feel for things but overclocking using the bios settings and stress testing with something a little more...stressful, like prime95, is probably a better idea.

im stressing it now, any comments on the temps so far?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.4 KB · Views: 89
Back