• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED HELP W/ AMDFX-8150

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im trying to find the highest stable clock, i have my cpu at 4.4ghz @ 1.525v. cpuid tells me my speed drops to 3.315ghz for 1 second and picks back up to 4.4ghz randomly but frequently. please help!

Is this normal? also, do i benefit having my ht link speed at 2.6ghz? rather than a lower speed?

Attachments

• BADDDD.PNG
    BADDDD.PNG
    49.9 KB · Views: 33
  • GOOOOD.PNG
    GOOOOD.PNG
    49.9 KB · Views: 32
Well my guess would be it's over heating and throttling back the CPU. Can you repost the HWmonitor but include the core temps this time. If they're at 60° or above that would be your answer.

OK that's good. So it might be VRM throttling. You'll need more air movement around your CPU socket.

If you're facing the MOBO it's on the left side of the CPU. This area controls all the Current for your CPU and RAM. With the AIO cooler there isn't air movement in that area like there would be with a H/S and fan set up so it can get quite hot. You will need to direct some air in that area.

Capturegiga.JPG

Here's something else that'll help. If you have a cutout behind your mobo.

Capturefan.PNG

Here's something else that'll help. If you have a cutout behind your mobo.

View attachment 125995

Note Johan45 said this is "something else" that could help. He did not say nor intend to hint that you should not cool the top of the board where the VRM circuit actually is located. The VRM circuit on later boards is fully capable of throttling the CPU to reduce draw on hot VRM's and that is not the same as socket temp throttling.
RGone...

Yes RGone that was my first suggestion.
@ mrwayne I know it's crowded in that area and that's part of the problem. When I had a similar problem. I moved the rad to the front of my case and installed 2 x 120's in the back with dryer vents attached to them to direct airflow into that area.
I have to ask is your H80 venting in to the case or out?

You'll have to figure out what will work for you. I couldn't hang my cooler in the top so that's what I came up with. Eventually I got a beefier board and that pretty much eliminated the problem. If you can find a way to get some air moving in there you'll be fine. Look through the forums you'll see some pics of small fans taped directly to the heatsinks that seem to work quite well. I'd try to find them but I'm out of time gotta get going.

I ordered an corsair h110 to help keep a higher clock speed and a better temperature and have 9 fans in my computer now

Since this is a good Asus board as far as the temps being more easily understood then as below:

This capture is representative of WHAT the HWMonitor capture needs to show. Shows the CPU temp or Socket temp AND shows the Package temp now since that is the new name they are giving to the Cpu Core Temp. Both are important and in most respects the Temp you choose to seemingly never show is the most important one to see and know. Both are important to some extent but the Core Temp now called Package Temp is MOST important.

attachment.php

Back