• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with a $1000 build, parts only from microcenter.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivDeTox

Estimated Purchase Date: End of May

Your Budget: Under $1000 including a monitor, OS, gaming mouse, and keyboard

What Will You Be Using Your System For: Gaming

Favorite Games: League of legends, Battlefield 4, Dayz, Guild Wars 2

Overclocking? No

SLI or CrossFireX? No

Do You Need A Monitor? Yes

What’s Your Monitor’s Resolution? Preferably 1920×1080

Hi guys! I’m looking forward to making the switch to PC gaming. I can only get my components from Microcenter though.

Here is the build I’ve been working on. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PhoKingTasty/saved/4wMV

I'd be satisfied with a computer that can deliver a steady 40-60fps on 1080p, medium-high settings for most games. Some games I look forward to playing are league of legends, Dayz, Battlefield 4, and Guild Wars 2.

What do you guys think? Are there any compatibility issues? Components that you would recommend swapping out?

Thank you guys in advance! I really appreciate it!

#1, the m5a97 R2.0 is a four core or 6 core stock board.

#2, amd am3+ is a dead socket now, if you think about anything forward this is going nowhere with no upgrade path.

look into intel,

Big "no" on that motherboard. The only one on microcenter that I would feel comfortable suggesting is that GA-990FXA-UD3. Has 8+2 phase power, and seems pretty solid.

how about this for the board, and pair it with an I5, ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Socket LGA 1150 Z87 ATX Intel

SKU: 607911

also i would rather see a 270 gpu.

check microcenters bundles and if you have a store near you check the openbox and closeouts, i have bought many open box bits from them and have had few issues.

Last edited:
From microcenter :

4th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-4670K 3.4GHz LGA 1150 Processor
With mobo
Z87-Extreme4 ATX LGA 1150

$294.98

WD Blue 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal...

$59.99

Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB DDR3-1866...

$79.99

Corsair CX Series CX600M 600 Watt ATX Modular...

$67.99

MSI AMD Radeon R9 270 2048MB PCIe 3.0 x16 Dual...

$184.99

Subtotal :

687.94$

This leaves you with 312$ for a case (50-75$ for a reasonably decent one. Can get a used one for dirt cheap though), Keyboard (40$ for that sidewinder), Mouse (I'd recommend you get a decent one, 50-80$), and windows 7 (~100$, but you can find other ways to get this cheaper, I see NIB packages for 35-50$ all the time on Clist)

That said, is there any particular reason everything must be from MicroCenter? New egg has better prices on a lot of this stuff honestly.

Thanks for the replies guys. Here are some new builds I came up with.

AMD FX-8350 with Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PhoKingTasty/saved/4zTh

Intel i5-4670k with Asrock z87 extreme4

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3DZvA

Switched around motherboards as you guys suggested. Also made an Intel build. Are all of the other components fine to you? Case, PSU, memory?

The only reason I went with the AMD processor was because of price. I want to make room for other things such as a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

If I were to put in a better graphics card for 1080p gaming, I would surely need to cut down on something. What would you suggest cutting down on? Motherboard? Processor?

I'm just wondering, why is the motherboard that important if I'm not going to overclock? Why would you only suggest the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 over all the other Asus and Asrock motherboards?

I also don't understand why they would pair the Asus m5a97 R2.0 with the fx 8350 if it doesn't work with 8 cores.

the only other thing i would like to see is a 120-240 gig ssd.

for 1080p and budget that's all the card you need, on the gpu, more is better, (up to a point).

From microcenter :

4th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-4670K 3.4GHz LGA 1150 Processor
With mobo
Z87-Extreme4 ATX LGA 1150

$294.98

WD Blue 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal...

$59.99

Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB DDR3-1866...

$79.99

Corsair CX Series CX600M 600 Watt ATX Modular...

$67.99

MSI AMD Radeon R9 270 2048MB PCIe 3.0 x16 Dual...

$184.99

Subtotal :

687.94$

This leaves you with 312$ for a case (50-75$ for a reasonably decent one. Can get a used one for dirt cheap though), Keyboard (40$ for that sidewinder), Mouse (I'd recommend you get a decent one, 50-80$), and windows 7 (~100$, but you can find other ways to get this cheaper, I see NIB packages for 35-50$ all the time on Clist)

That said, is there any particular reason everything must be from MicroCenter? New egg has better prices on a lot of this stuff honestly.

I need a monitor too which runs around $150. A bit over budget.

What would you recommend cutting down on?

I don't see you cutting a lot out of it.

but let the thread simmer for a few days and let others chime in.

Switched around motherboards as you guys suggested. Also made an Intel build. Are all of the other components fine to you? Case, PSU, memory?

The only reason I went with the AMD processor was because of price. I want to make room for other things such as a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

If I were to put in a better graphics card for 1080p gaming, I would surely need to cut down on something. What would you suggest cutting down on? Motherboard? Processor?

I would suggest looking at used monitors, keyboards, and mice. Its not like those "go bad" easily, and if you buy from a reputable place, its likely to serve you just as well.

The main reason to go AMD is for the overclocking potential. You're better off with a lower end intel if you aren't overclocking.

I'm just wondering, why is the motherboard that important if I'm not going to overclock? Why would you only suggest the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 over all the other Asus and Asrock motherboards?

I also don't understand why they would pair the Asus m5a97 R2.0 with the fx 8350 if it doesn't work with 8 cores.

1) because people will still buy it. Its "compatible" in the sense that it shares the same AM3+ socket, but its not really designed to handle the stresses of the FX series. Those FX chips are pigs and really need a decent motherboard for longevity and stable performance.

2) I was under the same impression as you : http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742241

3) that gigabyte board is the only one there with 8+2 power phase and decent capacitors, which is what helps keep the 83x0's in stable performance ranges.

You still haven't answered, why are you dead set on microcenter?

bob4933, good build, i would only add and ssd for the operating system.

I would too, but he's claiming he only wants microcenter only for his purchase. they don't really ahve many bargains on SSD's right now.

SSD for the OS!!!!!

DON'T be like me and run it off Slow @$$ HDD's. I regret it!!

I buy most of my stuff at m/c and have a few resons for it.
returns, they happen right now with no questions or waiting a week or so for the mail.
cerdit cards, I'm in my mid 50's, never had one for personal use, can't see why, so online buying is such a pain.

For real bargains you need to ask EarthDog, he has the gift to find all the discounts for good parts. ;)
Also no need for K chips and Z boards if not OC`ing.

I would suggest looking at used monitors, keyboards, and mice. Its not like those "go bad" easily, and if you buy from a reputable place, its likely to serve you just as well.

The main reason to go AMD is for the overclocking potential. You're better off with a lower end intel if you aren't overclocking.

1) because people will still buy it. Its "compatible" in the sense that it shares the same AM3+ socket, but its not really designed to handle the stresses of the FX series. Those FX chips are pigs and really need a decent motherboard for longevity and stable performance.

2) I was under the same impression as you : http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742241

3) that gigabyte board is the only one there with 8+2 power phase and decent capacitors, which is what helps keep the 83x0's in stable performance ranges.

You still haven't answered, why are you dead set on microcenter?

I would too, but he's claiming he only wants microcenter only for his purchase. they don't really ahve many bargains on SSD's right now.

Been a console gamer my whole life. Only recently decided to get into PC gaming because of League of Legends. I now am really interested in getting a gaming computer and trying out other PC games.

I was originally planning to have Microcenter build my PC for me. Having all the parts from Microcenter is convenient for me.

I actually might change this in the future and just build the whole PC by myself though. Not sure yet. I will be honest though I am extremely nervous about assembling an entire PC by myself with little knowledge.

you shouldn`t be worried. it`s fairly easy. and there are a gazillion tutorials on youtube. i`d suggest linus`s guide, nice and detailed.

Back