• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with a $1000 build, parts only from microcenter.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
4th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-4670K 3.4GHz LGA 1150 Processor
With mobo
Z87-Extreme4 ATX LGA 1150

$294.98

WD Blue 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal...

$59.99

Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB DDR3-1866...

$79.99

Corsair CX Series CX600M 600 Watt ATX Modular...

$67.99

MSI AMD Radeon R9 270 2048MB PCIe 3.0 x16 Dual...

$184.99

Subtotal :

687.94$

+ monitor

$737

+OS

$837

+cheap OEM keybo and mouse

$867

and THAT means you have room to upgrade your GPU to an R9 280X. Beats the snot out of a 270.

Honestly, I would wait on the SSD. You don't need it for good gaming performance. Once you have a spare $100-200, get a fat SSD and install Windows on it and your fav software and it'll spruce up your system.

Seriously, build the above, but get a 280X. It's in budget (before taxes).

And don't be afraid of cheap keyboards and mice. Kids at Internet cafes play counterstrike with them millions of times a week around the world and they do fine. You can find a $30 keybo/mouse combo at Microcenter. Later, when you have another $150-200, get a mechanical keyboard and a quality optical mouse.

For now though, I've given you the best advice I can as to where to put your money first.

the nuts and bolts of it are easy, peasy, just need to take your time.

we have pictures and everything around here to help.

^Lol! I always buy the cheapest Logitech wireless combo I can find when I need new KB/mouse. Usually €20 for both ;)

Hehe Okay I thought I was missing out :p
I'm using an old ACER PS/2 keyboard :rofl:
Soooo loud too :p

Are mechanical keyboards *really* worth the premium?

Yes. :thup:

To some. :shock:

I don't really care about the "tactile feedback". The durability of them is unquestionably higher. I spent 80 bucks on a mechanical keyboard during black friday and haven't had any issues yet. I would run through a 5-15$ keyboard in about 2-3 months.

I don't really care about the "tactile feedback". The durability of them is unquestionably higher. I spent 80 bucks on a mechanical keyboard during black friday and haven't had any issues yet. I would run through a 5-15$ keyboard in about 2-3 months.

I've been on the same $10 keyboard for 4 and a half years. I think you type a little too hard.

if I don't get that "feel" and " sound it's just not right.

we got some really good hardware lists going and all close to budget!!!

I've been on the same $10 keyboard for 4 and a half years. I think you type a little too hard.

Lol I wouldnt doubt it honestly. I used to play in a highly ranked ESEA league, so my "usage requirements" were probably a bit higher than most any casual gamer.
They have a noticeably faster response time, they sound better, they feel better. Edit: I'd be willing to bet your keyboard IS broken. "Ghosting" is what starts to happen when my keyboards went bad in the past. I didn't mechanically destroy them haha. I would say is possible, unless you seriously game, you're probably not going to notice.

For something you're touching on your computer for extended periods of time, it can only work to raise your enjoyment of it. Frivolous purchase? :shrug: For some perhaps, but 6 months later it still feels brand new and gives me reliable daily performance. For a casual pc user, I wouldn't recommend them, but if you game (at all) or do any kind of pc intensive tasks (programming, business, etc) I would be remiss to not highly recommend one.

For something you're touching on your computer for extended periods of time, it can only work to raise your enjoyment of it. Frivolous purchase? :shrug: For some perhaps, but 6 months later it still feels brand new and gives me reliable daily performance. For a casual pc user, I wouldn't recommend them, but if you game (at all) or do any kind of pc intensive tasks (programming, business, etc) I would be remiss to not highly recommend one.

Agreed.

Would you also agree that a "gaming grade" keyboard and mouse are secondary purchases to a decent CPU and GPU? I think things like SSDs, good keybos and mice are nice to have, but not if I have to sacrifice other components to get them.

Agreed.

Would you also agree that a "gaming grade" keyboard and mouse are secondary purchases to a decent CPU and GPU? I think things like SSDs, good keybos and mice are nice to have, but not if I have to sacrifice other components to get them.

I think a gaming mouse is WAY more important than a gaming keyboard. If you're gonna go cheap on a keyboard... go cheap or buy used in my opinion. It really just depends on your priorities. I must have spent 400$ on mice before finding one that fit my hand well and had the features that I wanted. Spent 80$ on a 150$ keyboard on sale... and here I am rockin a 7770 haha. I don't really regret it as Im more of a haptic, pragmatic guy where I can see most people would look at me and :facepalm: over the notion of prioritizing a mouse over a graphics card.

In this circumstance, I would obviously say money into the computer first because you can find great deals on these components at your leisure.

I was only really commenting to address SP's comment about their worth, not necessarily saying for this guy to go one way or the other.

I looked at your old thread and noticed that while using your asus m5a970 r2.0 with the 8320, you did overclock it.

If i were to not overclock the 8350 at all, would using the same board still cause those aforementioned issues? When would it be okay to use the asus m5a970 r2.0 or asrock 970 extreme 3?

Considering GuildWars 2 is on your game list, going AMD is an instant no-no for the poorly optimized game requiring strong per core performance, which the i5-4670k would tear apart an 8350, especially in GW2. Otherwise expect 10~ fps in WvWvW zerg fights or large world events, vs the 18~ fps with the Intel.

As far as this mechanical discussion, those who haven't used simply don't know what they are missing. It's one of those things you have to feel for yourself.

Considering GuildWars 2 is on your game list, going AMD is an instant no-no for the poorly optimized game requiring strong per core performance, which the i5-4670k would tear apart an 8350, especially in GW2. Otherwise expect 10~ fps in WvWvW zerg fights or large world events, vs the 18~ fps with the Intel.

As far as this mechanical discussion, those who haven't used simply don't know what they are missing. It's one of those things you have to feel for yourself.

I'll go with intel if I can, but in the case i need to make cuts on my build I'm probably going to have to lower my processor or motherboard.

Again, those motherboards you advised me NOT to get, would they be okay on a stock 8350 with no overclocking? What about if I went with the 6300?

I would personally pick Intel over AMD cpus anyday. The only reason I'm even considering these motherboards is if my budget gets too low.

Bob showed you a great budget i5 build :) just go back one page. Also, Theocnoob elaborated more on bob's build at the top of this page for you.

If GW2 is a game you plan to play, do yourself a favor and stick to that i5 build. Going AMD will make you sad as far as performance goes in that game.

I looked at your old thread and noticed that while using your asus m5a970 r2.0 with the 8320, you did overclock it.

If i were to not overclock the 8350 at all, would using the same board still cause those aforementioned issues? When would it be okay to use the asus m5a970 r2.0 or asrock 970 extreme 3?

I certainly wouldn't trust any board with 4+1 phase power on an 8 core FX pig of a chip.

That said, running those chips stock is almost kind of silly. Thats a large portion of their appeal honestly. If you wanna go cheap without overclocking, I would probably recommend a phenom over an FX. They have lower TDP requirements and, looking at reviews are quite the performers for the money. Barring that, intel is the way to go if youre gonna stock clock.

edit: wellp... microcenter doesnt offer phenom chips. Really suggest you stick with intel, or expand your options for places you can purchase from.

Back