• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with my little bees facebook rigs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I am just starting to build my little bee a pair of rigs to facebook on and me to render on once in a while.
yesterday I got my motherboards and cpus in and have started the hunt for cases, power supplies and such.
the boards are asus, ROG zenith whatevers and the cpus are amd threadrippers.
my plans are for 4 vega64 liquid cooled cards in each case.
my issue right now are cases and power supplies.
looking at what my rendering rigs are pulling now I think I'll be pulling just short of 300 watts per card making 1200 watts for the cards, add another ... lets say 200 watts for the cpu and another 100 watts(?) or so for the board and that's a little close to the 1600 watts I was thinking for the psus.
should I plan on 2 1000 watt psus per rig? any thoughts on this......

looking at cases, I just don't see anything out there that looks like I can make these work in, should I look to mining gear for that, an open air setup?
and a popcorn warmer so my popcorn stays warm in the bowl would be nice also.
opinions and ideas please!!!!!!

I think your power usage estimates are a bit off if you're not overclocking. CPU shouldn't consume anywhere near 200 watts, more like 120-140 on your worst day overclocking (TR owners chime in here). The boards more like 70 watts tops.

listed tdp for the cpus is 180 watts.
the boards, I just don't know for sure.
but add cooling and the rest of the goodies ???????????????

So just for clarification, little bee's Facebook rig requires 4x Vega64's, and water cooled? Seems a bit under powered, no?

Sounds like two separate things and another excuse to say 'little bee' to me.. :p

Being serious, why V64? Why TR? You self admittedly 'dabble' in this rendering, why drop so much cash? Why not normal Ryzen especially if your rendering is gpu heavy? Why not 2or 3 NVIDIA cards that use a shed load less power?

As far as power estimates, what do you pull now compared to everything's tdp??? That will give you an idea of how close you are to those values...

It will be released soon... there is an andyson 2.2kw unit...

Also, if that rig is actually pulling over 1600W, it could trip normal breakers...

˄˄ this

You would also need to figure into your calculations the cost of hiring a licensed electrician (if you're not one) to replace your (likely) 15amp breakers with something more robust, check all wiring related to that circuit, and also add additional air conditioning units, stock up on deodorant as being in that room very long will make you quite juicy.

what do you figure the draw would be?
talking to a guy on the west coast tonight that designs T-shirts, his rig uses 2 vega frontier cards and he says this would be more than enough for about anyone short of Pixar.
these are just to be all out, over the top AMD rigs for worlds biggest AMD fanboy.
it's a bit late to rethink the cpus, they are here and are these things BIG!!!!!

these will likely be my last big builds before I leave in three years so it's AMD and all out.

Last edited:
I am just starting to build my little bee a pair of rigs to facebook on and me to render on once in a while.

my plans are for 4 vega64 liquid cooled cards in each case.

Seriously?

Are you working with a high school chemistry teacher that's "moonlighting" to pay for his medical bills?

BB2.jpg

Well, "little bee" should be able to do some world class Facebooking for sure!

...needless to say, this all has the earmarks to be some colossal GPU folding rigs. ;)

BTW, pull in two 30A 120V circuits(#10 wire). You should have plenty of power, even use your wire feed welder.

Seriously?

Are you working with a high school chemistry teacher that's "moonlighting" to pay for his medical bills?

Well, "little bee" should be able to do some world class Facebooking for sure!

...needless to say, this all has the earmarks to be some colossal GPU folding rigs. ;)

BTW, pull in two 30A 120V circuits(#10 wire). You should have plenty of power, even use your wire feed welder.

Gosh, I didn't mean to kill the thread, just interjecting some wry humor. ;)

Progress report?

From the photo I'd guess that you'd 'speed up' the postings. :chair:

That, plus in my view buying a total of 8 vega64s and supporting hardware would require a substantially enhanced source of income...much beyond my own means.

Perhaps some serious bitcoin mining with said 8 vega64s would help defray the initial hardware investment. ;)

Sounds like two separate things and another excuse to say 'little bee' to me.. :p

Being serious, why V64? Why TR? You self admittedly 'dabble' in this rendering, why drop so much cash? Why not normal Ryzen especially if your rendering is gpu heavy? Why not 2or 3 NVIDIA cards that use a shed load less power?

As far as power estimates, what do you pull now compared to everything's tdp??? That will give you an idea of how close you are to those values...

Come on, ED. Lighten up! We don't always want to be serious. Personally, I enjoy hearing about cyber projects with the little bee. Ads a personal touch to our forum.

Lol, i like hearing about it too...i mean, you even highlighted the part with the smiley AND being serious.... so...

Back