• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help with New CPU! [Teach me]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foopsz

Looking to get a AMD CPU i dont no what one to choose?
Plus my Max Money amount is 350 please help
P.S a little bird to me my CPU is a Dual Core its hyperthreading so the OS makes it look like Quad is that true?

MOBO > H57M01 and P01-A0 Socket 1156 LGA
CPU & Cooler > Intel Core i3 530 @2.93Ghz Just a Fan for Cooling
MEMORY > 6144 Mbytes
POWER SUPPLY > Tt & 430
VIDEO CARD > GTX 550 Ti FPB Series 1gz
HDDs > 1TB
BURNERS > Stock
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
O/S > Windows 7

No if you have the funds to go for an 8120 Id highly recommend it. Ya they are not perfect but all in all its a rocking CPU.

i would have to buy a new mobo to right? i wanna get a motherboard that i can keep for about 2 3 years not upgrade next year

No i bought a PC like 2 years back and upgrading the CPU and Mobo if i have to.

So you bought an AMD system two years ago? Which AMD motherboard? Your siganture shows an Intel system, so am slightly confused. I take that back your signature is not showing but as below.

This is what you said in your first post.

Foopsz said:
MOBO > H57M01 and P01-A0 Socket 1156 LGA
CPU & Cooler > Intel Core i3 530 @2.93Ghz Just a Fan for Cooling
MEMORY > 6144 Mbytes
POWER SUPPLY > Tt & 430
VIDEO CARD > GTX 550 Ti FPB Series 1gz
HDDs > 1TB
BURNERS > Stock
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
O/S > Windows 7

i would have to buy a new mobo to right? i wanna get a motherboard that i can keep for about 2 3 years not upgrade next year

This fall the last generation of AM3+ CPUs will be released. Going AMD now ensures that you will not really have an upgrade path in 2-3 years. However, the FX 6xxx/8xxx are no slouches and I find it unlikely that you would need to upgrade / replace it any time in the next few years.

So you bought an AMD system two years ago? Which AMD motherboard? Your siganture shows an Intel system, so am slightly confused. I take that back your signature is not showing but as below.

This is what you said in your first post.

No I want to get a AMD CPU Title is Kinda Miss Leading Sorry about that i am looking into replacing my intel CPU with a AMD since them AMD Is Cheaper and still good but i would go with a intel to but if its not in my price range then i cant get it i wanna spend about 150-200 on a new CPU! Because i will also be getting a new Computer case

if i was starting over i would go with post #2.
the 8120/8150 is such a great space heater, but if your willing to fight the heat and are a hardware geek like me go with an 8 core.
nothing is future proof(thank god) but either will carry you for a couple of years.

if i was starting over i would go with post #2.
the 8120/8150 is such a great space heater, but if your willing to fight the heat and are a hardware geek like me go with an 8 core.
nothing is future proof(thank god) but either will carry you for a couple of years.

This^^. I would spend the extra money and get the 8 core! Plus, I mean you could show off to your frans that you have a 8 core (Even though TECHNICALLY, you don't) BUT HEY, they don't know that! :D

This^^. I would spend the extra money and get the 8 core! Plus, I mean you could show off to your frans that you have a 8 core (Even though TECHNICALLY, you don't) BUT HEY, they don't know that! :D

Lol so the six core processor Bundle?

for my use yes, for my fun play time, 8 cores please. but on a budget, right now the 6 core bundle. if you have the time, wait and see how the heat/ power thing works out with pile driver but bring out the big wallet.

First, where are you from? That can have a huge impact on choice. For example in Malaysia an FX-6100 is more expensive than a 2500K (insanity!!) Please give us a complete list of all the parts you have now and what you want to do with your computer after the upgrade (i.e. types of uses).

First, where are you from? That can have a huge impact on choice. For example in Malaysia an FX-6100 is more expensive than a 2500K (insanity!!) Please give us a complete list of all the parts you have now and what you want to do with your computer after the upgrade (i.e. types of uses).

im from USA and im going with a Intel bulid now sorry!

im from USA and im going with a Intel bulid now sorry!

I'm wasn't suggesting the 6100 I was asking what country your in and using the 6100 as an example of price variations. It can be significant either way (intel or amd) depending on which country your from.

Last edited:
He will be better off with an Intel rig anyway. He still can get a rather economical Intel board and early SB cpu and not have to worry so much about how well a motherboard is equipped to handle FSB overclocking. That is because the SB does not clock off of the BCLK.

Most buy way to cheap an AMD mobo and then have to try and overclock with the FSB often with cheap locked multiplier cpus. And none of these semi-beginners are prepared for the heat from FX-series cpus if they want to overclock them. So in looking at the widest view possible, most semi-starters would likely fare better with Intel. That does not mean there is not a place for AMD and I like AMD, but I am just speaking to the overall picture as it appears to me at this time. PileDriver may have some effect on that, but with no more unlocked 1090Ts or 1100Ts for sale, there is not much but BD left to buy and they are not the easiest thing to get ready for heat wise. IMO.

He will be better off with an Intel rig anyway. He still can get a rather economical Intel board and early SB cpu and not have to worry so much about how well a motherboard is equipped to handle FSB overclocking. That is because the SB does not clock off of the BCLK.

Most buy way to cheap an AMD mobo and then have to try and overclock with the FSB often with cheap locked multiplier cpus. And none of these semi-beginners are prepared for the heat from FX-series cpus if they want to overclock them. So in looking at the widest view possible, most semi-starters would likely fare better with Intel. That does not mean there is not a place for AMD and I like AMD, but I am just speaking to the overall picture as it appears to me at this time. PileDriver may have some effect on that, but with no more unlocked 1090Ts or 1100Ts for sale, there is not much but BD left to buy and they are not the easiest thing to get ready for heat wise. IMO.

Very true. BD can be "dissappointing" if someone were simply to use the stock cooler that comes with it (the one that came with my 6100 was complete garbage). I'm guessing he started a thread in the intel section? A shame really. I would have been more than happy to list a SB build for him (I don't subscribe to sticking to one side or the other, I prefer value for the money).

Back