• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help with New MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdskns4eva

Registered
Hi all, new member here. Great looking site here.

I had aquestion about motherboards.

I'm building me an extreme gaming rig - my first. I had one previously pre made, but from what I hear, making one yourself is the way to go.

I have most of the components planned and ready for purchase, but one is giving me the fits and that is, what is the best MB for my planned Graphics card. The card I am getting is:

ASUS GTX680 DirectCU II TOP Edition 1201MHz 2 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Cards GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 - Red/Black

I initially planned on getting the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68, but now Im not sure.

What would be the best MB to get for this card? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all!!

Welcome to the forums! Besides gaming what are your plans with the system? Do you plan on overclocking? Your best bet is to list all the specs of your planned build so we can help out.

Welcome to the forums! Besides gaming what are your plans with the system? Do you plan on overclocking? Your best bet is to list all the specs of your planned build so we can help out.

Primarily gaming....Thats priority number 1. I'll also do stuff like watch movies/videos etc, but this is a gaming rig. Here are the specs:

Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan

Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

ASUS GTX680 DirectCU II TOP Edition 1201MHz 2 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Cards GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 - Red/Black

ASUS Xonar Essence ST Sound Card - AV100 Sound Processor, PCI, 124dB SNR, 7.1 Sorround, 24-bit Converter, S/PDIF, RCA

OCZ Agility 4 AGT4-25SAT3-256G 256GB Internal Solid State Drive - 2.5" Form Factor, SATA III, 6Gbps, TRIM, Ndurance 2.0 Technology

Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Lite-On iHBS11204 12x Internal Blu-Ray Burner

XFX P1-850S-NLB9 Core Edition 80 Plus Bronze ATX 12V / EPS 12V 850W Computer Power Supply

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

Hope this helps

Thanks!

Planning on overclocking it?
If you haven't already purchased it this is what I would change.
I7 3770, overkill for gaming in most cases, get a I5 3570k
16 gig of ram again overkill in most cases get 2 4 gig sticks.
850w psu, at best with the cpu and gpu overclocked you'll be using 500w, get a quality 650w unit, such as this
If everything has already been purchased then it will be a really nice rig. This is pretty much the go to motherboard for 1155 socket these days.

Planning on overclocking it?
If you haven't already purchased it this is what I would change.
I7 3770, overkill for gaming in most cases, get a I5 3570k
16 gig of ram again overkill in most cases get 2 4 gig sticks.
850w psu, at best with the cpu and gpu overclocked you'll be using 500w, get a quality 650w unit, such as this
If everything has already been purchased then it will be a really nice rig. This is pretty much the go to motherboard for 1155 socket these days.

Thank you so much for the info

YEa most of the stuff I've already got. I just dont hav ethe MB and Graphics card. WIll this MB support the i7 chip?

A couple things...

*I agree with 2x4GB of ram. :)
*680 is a great card, but why not the same performance for less in a 7970?
*Aglity 4, change to Vertex4 or OCZ Vector with the money saved in moving to 7970
*PSU can easily handle 2 680's/7970's.. you planning on SLI/CrossfireX in the future? Do you own a monitor worthwhile to do this (2560x1440/1600 or multiple monitors)?

If one card, a quality 500W PSU will EASILY handle a 3570K and 680/7970. I currently run a 3570K/680 with CPU @ 4.5GHz and 680 @ 70+/200+ and dont come close to 400W AT THE WALL (meaning the system is using less due to PSU inefficiency). So that said, CX500 would be fine so long as you dont plan on using mutliple GPUs. If you are the one you selected is fine.

My aplogies guys. I forgot to mentioned that I will be using 2 of the 680's. Thats why my power supply is so big.

Ok, PSU is perfectly fine then... jus thope you have monitorS or a high res for that type of cards and gaming.

7970 thought still remains...save $200 and go with those, which has more vram, and assuming you are using an appropriate monitor(s), you will need it.. perhaps not this second, but in the near future. :)

Well you definitely appear to be an ASUS man or woman, that being the case, why not get two of these instead they are going $550. after mail in rebate at Newegg. You will gain two PCI slots back and get an additional 4Gb of VRAM, though not factory set at your current boost OC, you should still be able to OC them yourself through either included software or the MOBO (so I would presume anyway).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121705

Also be advised that these type of two-fan cards are going to ramp up the head inside of your case, so in the future you might want to consider water-cooling your SLI as a viable upgrade to the life of your investment, especially true if you are going to OC those bad-boys... and your CPU and at least your motherboard's Northbridge.

A couple things...

*I agree with 2x4GB of ram. :)
*680 is a great card, but why not the same performance for less in a 7970?
*Aglity 4, change to Vertex4 or OCZ Vector with the money saved in moving to 7970
*PSU can easily handle 2 680's/7970's.. you planning on SLI/CrossfireX in the future? Do you own a monitor worthwhile to do this (2560x1440/1600 or multiple monitors)?

If one card, a quality 500W PSU will EASILY handle a 3570K and 680/7970. I currently run a 3570K/680 with CPU @ 4.5GHz and 680 @ 70+/200+ and dont come close to 400W AT THE WALL (meaning the system is using less due to PSU inefficiency). So that said, CX500 would be fine so long as you dont plan on using mutliple GPUs. If you are the one you selected is fine.

Yea, I eventually am going to get into 3 monitor gaming. I want to get 3 27" monitors for 5760x1200 gaming.

The Titan is coming up in a couple months isn't it? I would wait for that, from what I hear is gonna be bad ***.

Back