• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

banshee43

Registered
i just finished my custom build and didnt want to fork out $100 for vista or 7 when 8 is right around the corner, and in my opinion xp is a little better :p but the install disk that i have included service pack 2 but i need service pack 3 in order to play starcraft... which was the reason for my build. please help, when i try to go to the windows auto update it takes me to their website then it tries to find the software i need to update then the website has experienced a problem!!!!

ive tried that but a couple of the times i got an alert that says the file cannot be read. i am trying to download it again

Hmmmmmm.....I'm wondering if bad RAM is keeping you from updating. try downloading memtest x86+ and running that (you will need to burn it on to a disk or a USB drive)

http://www.memtest.org/

Is this an official WinXP install, or one that was downloaded from a torrent or other means?

i ended up getting it downloaded from windows. all of them were official versions but for some reason i couldnt connect to the windows update server.. also i have 170kbps download so there isnt alot of trial and error i can afford :((

He wasn't asking if the service pack download was official, he was asking if your Windows XP was genuine and not pirated.

so what i learned is that xp32 cannot handle more than 4GB per ram DIMM so that may have something to do with it, so windows thinks im running 3.25GB of physical ram right now. :( i did finally get it downloaded, but now i get the same error message of the file cannot be read when i try to download other files too. that are completely legit.

Really, the only difference b/w 64-Bit Windows and 32-Bit Windows is that 32-Bit is limited to just over 3GB. So that is OK.

Service Packs may not install on leaked Windows keys, which is why we were asking you about that. You may need to install windows from scratch then apply Windows XP SP 3.

Really, the only difference b/w 64-Bit Windows and 32-Bit Windows is that 32-Bit is limited to just over 3GB. So that is OK.

Service Packs may not install on leaked Windows keys, which is why we were asking you about that. You may need to install windows from scratch then apply Windows XP SP 3.

the reason i dont think it is due to that reason is because it was happening before i installed SP 3 so im hoping its not gunna be that big of a deal until Windows 8 :)

Back