• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some quick help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikhaildg

Registered
So I have a question about an issue I have been having wit a cd rom drive. I have a cdrom drive hooked up to the same sata power cable as my 2 hard drives but the cdrom drive does not power on but the hard drives work fine. Could that particular sata power plug be bad or am I missing something?

Did you try swapping the order of the items on the ribbon to test if it is just that connector? Or putting something that is known good on the potential bad sata power header?

okay so i tried to do 1 more thing i used a SATA power adapter and hooked it to a diffrent connector and it didnt work either. So could it be that cable connector is shot?

okay so i tried to do 1 more thing i used a SATA power adapter and hooked it to a diffrent connector and it didnt work either. So could it be that cable connector is shot?
The next logical step would be to test the Optical drive on an known good connector......

thanks for the advice gonna run the test and unplug some other sata connectors and plug it up to cd rom and see if it works.

Okay so I hooked up 2 diffrent cd/DVD roms to a SATA plug that works and it's no dice. When I hooked it up yesterday I smelled a burning plastic smell and not sure if it fried something or not but I don't think 3 diffrent plugs would be faulty. Any other suggestions or can I safely say both of the drives are dead?

Back