• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some SERIOUS HELP installing swiftech APEX WC kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Npetune3000

Greetings everyone:

I would like to startoff by saying I have a tramendous respect for those of you who WC. This stuff is NOOOOOT easy!

But heres whats happend so far:

I spent lastnight installing my WCing cooling kit and things were shakey. Lets just say there was some blood, cuts, and extremeexhaustion. But I still got everything up and running.

I started to discover a few problems when I heard some weird noise coming from my swiftech storm water block. I think it was bubbles but was not sure.
Also, I was not sure if U properly installed my reservoir(the new swiftech micro). The directions are kind of confusing. The routing diagrams say: CPU>>>>res in and Res out>>>pump in. only problem is, on the directons for the res it says: fc7lhy.jpg

So on the route sheet it says CPU to res IN, but on the res directions it says IN from pump. so you can see my confusion. I would like to know which one to follow.

SECOND ISSUE

My second issue is the swiftech storm. The directions did not specify which barb is in and which is out. Also, it does not specify which orientation the block should be installed in.

My setup looks like this : fc87qu.jpg

I would like to know if this orientation is ok.

Also, I would like to know if those weird little noises, that sounded every couple seconds or so in the water block, are normal.

Lastly, is there an easier way to remove the tubing from the barb? its so difficult to getoff sometimes i think I'm going to break it.

ANyways, thanks for any help guys. I am so tired, my head hurts, and I'm bleeding. I also think i injested some of that green water :-/

BUT I WONT GIVEUP......unless it kills me

On the micro res, the top hose is the return, and the bottom hose feeds your pump.

On the Storm, the center fitting is the feed, and the side fitting is the return.

Do i have to flip the water block around as well? or can i leave it how it is and just change teh routing?

Doesn't matter which way you mount the block really, but theoretically, mounting the return so it's at the top would help purge air bubbles from the Storm.

clocker2 said:
Flipping the Storm so the outlet is "up" may help prevent air entrapment in the block.
Can't hurt.[/QUOTE]

Yes it can, I have the bandages to prove it :)

I dont think I will reinstall the waterblock. Its REALLY HARD getting the tubing off the barbs and I would like to avoid the hassle esp. if its not mandatory.

so let me get this straight before i start messing with anything else:

on the RES:

top= IN from CPU
bottom= OUT to pump

on teh Waterblock:

Center: IN from res

Side: OUT to RAD

does that sound right?

Im not sure of your setup, stuff but I think you want something like this:

Attachments

• rad resized.jpg
    rad resized.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 205
turd said:
Im not sure of your setup, stuff but I think you want something like this:

thanks!

My main issue right now is just confirming which ports are in and out on the waterblock and the RES.

Npetune3000 said:
clocker2 said:
Flipping the Storm so the outlet is "up" may help prevent air entrapment in the block.
Can't hurt.[/QUOTE]

Yes it can, I have the bandages to prove it :)

I dont think I will reinstall the waterblock. Its REALLY HARD getting the tubing off the barbs and I would like to avoid the hassle esp. if its not mandatory.

so let me get this straight before i start messing with anything else:

on the RES:

top= IN from CPU
bottom= OUT to pump

on teh Waterblock:

Center: IN from res

Side: OUT to RAD

does that sound right?

can i get a comfirmation on this. I don wanna start cutting and routing again until I am POSITIVE

This is how you should typically have it set up:

1) Output of your pump to the input of your Storm, which is the center port.
2) Output of your Storm, which is the outer port, to your radiator (assuming you don't have a GPU block)
3) Radiator to the top port of your Swiftech micro, which is In From Pump. You don't think of it as in from pump because you have a radiator and CPU block in between it, but if you imagine those aren't there, that would be feeding directly from your pump . That slanted piece of acrylic is there to prevent the sloshing sound created by the turbulance of your.
4) Out To System goes to the input of your pump.

I suggest you leak test the system. If you have an old AT-style power supply, you can hook your water pump's power lead to it, switch it on and leak test for 24 hours, otherwise you can pull your ATX power connector and jumper the geen (pin 14) and black pins. You could probably leave your IDE devices hooked up to power to pull a load on the power supply while you're testing.

I cannot make that work the way you are saying it, the in and outs are messed up, to me. It seems like the flow is wrong. It could just be the way you are saying it.

If you mean:
WB
Center-flow in from res
Bottom flow out to rad

Rad
From side WB
To suction line pump

Pump
Suction side to rad
Push side to res

Res
side connection from push connection of pump
top to center connection of WB

It is OK like that flow wise and cooling wise, not the best. It is best to have the res feeding the pump on the suction side.
You have the res pushing to the WB
But if that is your setup,If I have described it correctly, it seems OK to me. The best setup IMHO ould be like in the pic or how described by massive right above.

i have the same kit.

if you refer to the manual that came along with the kit, ROUTING suggestions are found on page 5.

to sum it up this is how i set up mine.

*reservoir out (lower port) to pump inlet.

*pump discharge to radiator inlet

*radiator discharge to cpu inlet (inlet is the one in the center or near the swiftech label)

also it is mentioned on the manual that performance wise, the cpu block should get the coolest water. and this should be the one coming from the radiator.

*cpu discharge to reservoir inlet.

.. . .again you can find this routing setup on page 5.

Back