• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 2600k build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eroc

Got the RAM and the Xigamatek cooler otw. I have the board and proc and the empty box waiting for them!!!

Here's what its gonna be:

Intel 2600K
Asus P8P67 PRO
8GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline (7-9-8-24)
Xigmatek Gaia SD1283
Kingwin 750W PSU

Will be fun to play with!!

Yeah plan on adding gpus later. Got 2 in my AMD rig atm. The 2600k will out crunch the Phenom so I would rather let the 2600k fly on its own. It will let me see a baseline for RAC on this proc too which will be interesting.

The AMD won't produce as much RAC on its own and the 2 GPUs are helping it along nicely :D

Speaking of good batches. Anyone know what to look for/what the good batches are yet?

Got it running! Had to install via usb drive as my CD rom was wanting drivers to install. I assume it is the fact that I was using the Abit Seriellel 2 ide-sata converter since the board had no ide plugs. I am sure the converter is fine as it detects the drive and can boot to the cd, it's just that Win7 didnt have the necessary drivers for it.

I had used this drive (ide style) on a previous Win7 install so I know it works.

Anywho, got it running at roughly stock 103x34 (3503Mhz) for now. We will see what it can do!!!

Got it running at 103x45 4636Mhz on Turbo Mode. It volts itself at around 1.4V with temps in the low to mid 70s while crunching Seti. The temps were high 70s/low 80s under Prime 95.

This chip runs itself. All you have to do is set the turbo multiplier and let it adjust the voltage needed and watch temps.

It chills at around 103x16 when idle at just under 0.9V (at ~35C). That's efficient. Then it cranks it up when you do any cpu intensive task.

I am going to try for 4800Mhz next.

Eroc, with those clocks, you would benefit yourself by upgrading to a better cooler. You can get a MUX-120 for around $45 from SVC and that would be a better choice than that old Xiggie S1283 (in your sig). Throw a couple of GT AP-15's or S-Flex "G" fans on it and kick some GHz in the butt.

You can run 103x45 = 4636mhz with a much lower voltage that 1.4v try 1.35v and crank it down from there, that is most likely where you are getting the extra heat.

Well I purchased this cooler because it was $29 at newegg and it cooled quite well on tomshardware.com.

I adjusted some settings so it wouldn't overvolt as much and it is rock solid (so far) at 4635 MHz with 1.37V. Temps are 75C with Prime95.

My main problem is probably my case cooling. I am using a steel case with 80mm fans. One in front, with no way to intake air that I can see, one side, top and back. Not really enough case flow. Soon I hope to get another aluminum case to put it in and really get on it.

I adjusted some settings so it wouldn't overvolt as much and it is rock solid (so far) at 4635 MHz with 1.37V. Temps are 75C with Prime95.

You should be able to drop down that vcore by at least 0.2-0.4v more, I would suggest dropping down from 1.37v in 0.05v or 0.1v increments. With that adjustment you could easily shave a few 'c of your temps.

I don't hard volt it. I have intel speedstep and turbo enabled along with load line calibration set to regular. This brought the voltages down to around 1.33-1.36V fluctuations where before it was like 1.35-1.38V(1.37V avg).

Temps now do not break 72C on P95 blend.

Edit: That was not stable back to 1.35-1.38V

Last edited:
Well..Stable at 1.4V with NO LLC so it is usually running under 1.4 (1.37V avg). Temps while doing seti can get 75C-ish during the hot part of the day (100F here in TX). No crashes though. Need a better case/cooling, but otherwise ok.

This machine has flattened out in the RAC at 11k. Not bad. Hope to add some GPU power if I can afford it (need to check electricity bill lol).

The temps fluctuate wildly. Is this an Intel thing or just a direct contact heatpipe thing? Both? Can literally jump between 5C differential. I guess it could be the Tprobe that this board is using. My AMD is an Asus board as well and its temps range 2-3C max.

Erok, based on some of your recent blocks and assuming you are running 8 units at the same time, your rate has been averaging about 15,800 credits per day. That's quite impressive--about the same as my overclocked GTX 260.

Cool. Its hard for me to figure out my card's output as I have 2 in one machine and I forget what RAC they hit when in separate boxes.

At that time my 460 was never given enough wus to keep it full.

Eroc, you might want to pay closer attention to what muddocktor, pwnmachine and klear posted for you. Your system will prematurely be crippled if you continue running it at 1.4 and with temps over 70°C.

I have the same mobo & cpu that I am o/c'ing today. Would you like some better (higher clock, lower voltage, cooler temps) BIOS settings? My system is being set up for folding, so it won't be "on the ragged edge", but higher than 4.6 turbo speed, I suspect. It is also air cooled.

Congrats on your system, btw! :thup: Good choice, imo.

Yeah. Guess I need to lower the clock/voltage. I am never lucky at good ocing chips. A lot of other people are getting as good or better ocs at lower volts.

I don't mean to offend you, but in this case, it's not the cpu.

None taken. I clocked it. It just was not stable at 4.6 with less than 1.4V.

What settings am I missing?

This is where I got some of my info for this chip http://www.overclock.net/intel-general/910467-ultimate-sandy-bridge-oc-guide-p67a.html Unfortunately he is not using UEFI but most of the settings are similar

I have enabled PLL overvoltage (just under 1.89V as this guy recommended) since I am running 103 on the core clock.

I also adjusted some of the digi vrm for stability like: Cpu Current 110%; VRM Fixed freq. to 310Mhz. This seemed to stabilize the oc. I may go back to auto on all of it again as it may not make a huge difference. Going change one thing at a time.

If I get 4.5Ghz at 1.37-8 with temps at or below 70C then that will work til I get a better case.

Basically: I have been changing settings in my bios. This is not the first time I have OC'd....

Last edited:
Back