• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 2600k build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Back to the drawing board.

100x45 1.35V 65-69C

Will see how it goes overnight.

I have several hand written notes I need to keyboard up, and check them out (if it just gets cool enough!).

I'll have it up tomorrow.

Let me know if you have any issues. This board is notorious for driver/bios issues. Make sure you have the latest non-beta bios (1704).

Last edited:
You should be able to drop down that vcore by at least 0.2-0.4v more, I would suggest dropping down from 1.37v in 0.05v or 0.1v increments. With that adjustment you could easily shave a few 'c of your temps.

Confused. Lower voltage by 0.2-0.4? Thats 1.37-0.2=1.17v. Thats lower than stock voltage. 1.37-0.4=0.97v. Thats way too low.

Looks like my oc-voltage is par for the course. Some better some about the same.

Unfortunately, my wonderful old Epson printer has decided today is the day it will run out of ink. :( Naturally, it has to be ordered because I can't find it available in any store (so far. Will check some more tomorrow).

According to the ASUS rep's report (available on a few forums), that I went by, you will need 1.30-1.375 Vcore if the multiplier is higher than 43, with a Load Line Calibration, of high to very high for stability (and in my tests, it worked). Default speeds should work with 1.24 - 1.26, with less LLC.

That ASUS report is a bit long, but it is here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110
if you want to study it.

Are you measuring your Vcore from the BIOS, or from CPU-Z, or ASUS's monitoring program?

The BIOS I have is: American Megatrends ver. 2.00.1201. It's been working well crunching on SETI and Rosetta, and folding in the Chimp Challenge Race, but at a sub-optimal speed of 4.2, at 63-64°C in 74°F ambient air (it is air cooled).

Since I've had no problems with this system, I haven't looked into upgrading the BIOS.

45 X 100 crunching at less than 70°C is a successful overclock, imo.

Sorry to hear about your printer. :-C

If you go into your bios, look at the top line under main tab. That should say what version you have. I have 1704 which is the latest non-beta bios available (p8p67 pro). It resolves issues with 2+ TB drives/raids.

Yeah if no probs leave it, though it is rediculously easy to update.

edit: Of course updating Bios means redoing all of your bios settings.... :/

Yeah, the printer is an Epson 980, and it was just a bit overbuilt/overpriced to be real popular, but it IS a *quick* and dandy inket.

That earlier number, minus the extra period, was the AM template version, not the ASUS final BIOS version - mine was indeed old, not even on the page of possible downloads anymore, so I decided to upgrade the BIOS after all.

I had it up to 43 X 103 with the old BIOS, but the temps were getting over 70 when I was folding. BIOS said the VCore was 1.36V, which doesn't seem bad, but with the 1704 BIOS, I'm hoping to ease that down a bit - or lower the LLC or PLL - either one will lower the temps, and hopefully one setting or the other, will also keep the system nice and stable.

The new V7 folding client (still beta), is a DREAM to set up and use. Finally, FAH got a professional to write the folding client program! :clap: This is the first time I've run the new client.

I'll let you know how it goes - either 44 or 45 would be good if the temps are 70 or less while folding.

Yeah, the printer is an Epson 980, and it was just a bit overbuilt/overpriced to be real popular, but it IS a *quick* and dandy inket.

That earlier number, minus the extra period, was the AM template version, not the ASUS final BIOS version - mine was indeed old, not even on the page of possible downloads anymore, so I decided to upgrade the BIOS after all.

I had it up to 43 X 103 with the old BIOS, but the temps were getting over 70 when I was folding. BIOS said the VCore was 1.36V, which doesn't seem bad, but with the 1704 BIOS, I'm hoping to ease that down a bit - or lower the LLC or PLL - either one will lower the temps, and hopefully one setting or the other, will also keep the system nice and stable.

The new V7 folding client (still beta), is a DREAM to set up and use. Finally, FAH got a professional to write the folding client program! :clap: This is the first time I've run the new client.

I'll let you know how it goes - either 44 or 45 would be good if the temps are 70 or less while folding.

It's interesting to see what you are able to get out of that 2600K. I don't think it's worth the upgrade for me right now--my 920 at 3.8GHz and 1.16 VCore just works so damn well. That and it's only a year and a couple months old. So if I can get another year or two out of it, maybe Intel will have even more goodies out by then.

Now, I really have to resolve the stupid NVidia downclocking problem--both my GTX 260 and GTX 460 had downclocked to 400 MHz this morning when I checked on my rig. I think the 266.58 drivers may be worth a shot.Seems like there has been good luck with those.

Down clocking is due to over heating. Are they oc'd?

Yes (808 on the 460; 700 on the 260), but temps on the 460 are usually 62-64C, almost never going above 65C. The 260 is a bit hotter at 71C, but that still should not be a problem.

I never had a problem with the 260 until I went to the 275 drivers; the downclocking seems to happen sometimes when the GPUs go idle and then get back to work; they then get stuck at 405.

I've not yet had the issue since rolling back to the 266 drivers, but unfortunately, the optimized apps do not seem to be utilizing the GPUs as well under 266. Trade-offs everywhere I guess.

I have the 275 drivers no prob. Sometimes the cards underclock with no loads (2D mode). Don't know why it stays there. You using msi afterburner?

Anyway, it downclocks when the VRMs get hot which may not be reflected by gpu temps.

I have the 275 drivers no prob. Sometimes the cards underclock with no loads (2D mode). Don't know why it stays there. You using msi afterburner?

Anyway, it downclocks when the VRMs get hot which may not be reflected by gpu temps.

Well, I may have to back off a bit on the clocks i guess. I'll try that and see how it goes. Yes on Afterburner.

Another thing I do is set the fans to 100%. Its noisier but keeps em cooler. I noticed that on auto they never kept up with cooling.

Got the BIOS updated to 1704 now. That extra period I thought was an error in the AM BIOS template, was not an error, after all.

I'm now able to run Prime95 for several hours at 44 X 103 = 4.55GHz, but it's folding for the first time, so I knocked it back to 43 until I can fix up two things:

1) The heatsink fan is quiet as a mouse, but doesn't move enough air, and

2) I have one stick of 1600MHz RAM that is OK, but only at < 1600Mhz. Anything at or above that, and it freezes the system up tight.

I'm with you on that i7 920, Florida Bear. I've got a 940 that I feel exactly the same about. Sure, the 2600K is faster, but there will always be faster chips coming out, and you can't afford to get every one that's just a bit faster.

Now if it's a bit faster, AND it saves power (like the 2600K does [95W versus 135 for the 940]), then I'm immediately interested. That could be a nice money saver, IF the power difference was big enough.

True on the power saving, but then we go and OC it all to hell lol. Idles lower though if you have speedstep enabled and phase mode set to standard or optimized.

Edit: Still an OC'd 2600k will use less power than a 9xx i7 and will be faster :D Had I already had a 9xx i7 I'd prolly have to keep it. I almost bought one as they were selling for $179 at my local store. Glad I spent the extra $100.

True on the power saving, but then we go and OC it all to hell lol. Idles lower though if you have speedstep enabled and phase mode set to standard or optimized.

Edit: Still an OC'd 2600k will use less power than a 9xx i7 and will be faster :D Had I already had a 9xx i7 I'd prolly have to keep it. I almost bought one as they were selling for $179 at my local store. Glad I spent the extra $100.

Hmm, to pay back $100 in power, that's 1000 KWh. 1000 KWh at 40 watts (.04 Kw) is 25,000 hours, or about 3 years, For the entire chip ($279), you jump to 8 years or so. Of course, that assumes that I don't continue to use the 920--obviously there would be no power savings at all if I did :D

Hmm, to pay back $100 in power, that's 1000 KWh. 1000 KWh at 40 watts (.04 Kw) is 25,000 hours, or about 3 years, For the entire chip ($279), you jump to 8 years or so. Of course, that assumes that I don't continue to use the 920--obviously there would be no power savings at all if I did :D

Nobody pays .04 per Kw for residential electric service from a utility company that I can find, anywhere in the USA. Lowest is .074, and I'm paying .081 per Kwh JEA's site claims, but that isn't accurate, anymore.

Michael Bloomberg gave 50 million dollars to the Sierra Club to fight against the building or renewal, of any coal fired electric generator plants. We get about 40% of our electricity from coal fired plants, in the US.

Shorter supply, more demand (and now electric vehicles!). Rates are only going up, imo.

My rates vary between .15 and .30 per Kwh, as you can see in the footnote to the table of tier info, here:

http://www.sdge.com/documents/forms/roombyroom-eng.pdf
(part way down the page, on the right hand side, right below the unbelievable picture of two guys, doing laundry -- right!) :rofl:

So your figures are way low (four times too low for me), putting your time for payback, well off the mark.

Last edited:
According to JEA's (in FL) rate site:
http://www.jea.com/services/electric/rates_quarterly.asp

Nobody pays .04 per Kw for residential electric service from a utility company that I can find, anywhere in the USA. Lowest is .074, and I'm paying .081 per Kwh JEA's site claims, but that isn't accurate, anymore.

Think UP!

Michael Bloomberg gave 50 million dollars to the Sierra Club to fight against the building or renewal, of any coal fired electric generator plants. We get about 40% of our electricity from coal fired plants, in the US.

Shorter supply, more demand (and now electric vehicles!). Rates are only going up, imo.

My rates vary between .15 and .30 per Kwh, as you can see in the footnote to the table of tier info, here:

http://www.sdge.com/documents/forms/roombyroom-eng.pdf
(part way down the page, on the right hand side, right below the unbelievable picture of two guys, doing laundry -- right!) :rofl:

So your figures are way low (four times too low for me), putting your time for payback, well off the mark.

You need to look closer at what he wrote... He was talking about the difference between a 95W and and 135W (135-95= 40W) processor. 40W is also expressed as .04kW (in bold). So in 1 hour of work the 920 will use 40W (.04kW) more energy expressed as .04kWh.

His statement of $100= 1000kWh is giving $0.10/kWh which is a little less than I pay (around $0.12) i.e. $0.10/kWh x 1000kWh=$100.

So for me $100 wont go quite that far. $0.12/kWh x 1000kWh=$120

$100 for me is $100/$0.12/kWh= 833kWh

Finally he took 1000kWh / 0.04kW= 25,000h

For me it is: 833.3kWh / 0.04kW= 20832.5h or 2.38 years

If your $/kWh is more than you will be getting your return on investment even quicker.

Thanks, Eroc, I was scratching my head about that one, and yes, it would be substantially quicker, for Californians, etc.

Back