• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build mobo suggetions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boucher91

thinking a 3930k (2011)reason -whats in stock at the egg...+i want a k version for .....fun
it would be wc/ed with an ek hf block a 655 and 1xspc rx420+a rx320
psu=pcp&c 1200
i would like a mobo that i can oc with...
plan to use only 1 vodeo card
will be using a tv tuner card/capture (pcie)
and would like to use a soundblaster xfi elite/pro (pci)
prolly 4-6 drives including dvd/bluray
want a nice mobo witout having to give up my next child...lol
suggestions would be greatly appreciated
havent built many intel rigs mainly amd so i ready to go somewhere else for awhile....

Here's an overpriced build for you. If it were me I'd go with a I5-3570k and an Asrock Extreme4 Z77. You can get away with a 650psu also.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    38.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 137
well to add alittle more info..
i already have everything but mobo and cpu...
mainly watch and record movies a few games...of course folding..
i was thinking going with the newest platform would be the smart thing to do for future upgradability...

Honeatly, unless you need a hex I wouldn't to there. The next and last upgrade is ivybridge-e due out late this year. Ivybridge has been out for almost a year already. Harwell is coming out in a few months...

Absolutely, yes... but PPD/$ is way off compared to 3770K at $200 less and a $100 less mobo. Basically, it doesnt fold 78% faster (which is the difference in cost ($420 - $300 CPU and $120 mobo vs $750 - $530 CPU and $220 mobo).

ok so what platform is haswell going to be on?
through my own looking at mobos even the descent 1155 mobos arent cheap either..
i built a 920 awhile back but sold it for more than i had in it...

Haswell will not be 1155. A brand new one.

Decent 1155 boards arent cheap either? What? Asrock Extreme 4 or 6? UD3H... I can go on at sub $140......

boards dont matter nearly as much with SB/IB as they did in i7 920 days.

ok so what platform is haswell going to be on?
through my own looking at mobos even the descent 1155 mobos arent cheap either..
i built a 920 awhile back but sold it for more than i had in it...

You can't really future proof with Intel. Only thing left on LGA2011 is Ivy Bridge-E, which is just hexacore versions of the CPUs that are already out. The actual new design (Haswell) is going to be on LGA1150.

If I had the rig in your sig, I would wait for Haswell. What you have can charge through games just fine, no?

ya the rig in sig has changed slightly has 1100t @ 4.1.summer 4.3winter...
it can go higher but the temps and voltage are to high for my liking..
have thrown alot at it and it screams...also have a 8150 on a ch5 this is what i was going to replace with the intel rig....dissapointed in the 8150 heck the 1100t does just as well and thats on an older chipset 790/990....may try an 8350 for awhile..

1 more ?
what is the diff between the 2700k and 3770k...
i know sandy and ivy but same clocks...
does 1 run cooler than the other?
they both do hyperthreading?
do they perform different?

About 5% difference clock for clock. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

SB will run cooler due to the TIM used between the core and IHS. However IB uses less power.

Yes, they both do HT as 2500k and 3570K do not.

See the first sentence for performance differences.

got bout 3 weeks before i do something i may just nick either or im going to wc so that wouldnt make too much of a diff.
right now they are both bout the same price...
P8Z77-V DELUXE (asus)
151-IB-E699-KR (evga)
do u have any opinions on either of theese boards?

was mainly looking for the boards that would to me tend to oc easier as far as the board cooling and power control/phasing..
like i said not a usual intel guy but kinda basing the same princples the same as i would for an amd build...
im here to learn from those in the know...

Back