• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build mobo suggetions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One thing to keep in mind with an X79 platform is you need a pretty big budget to do it justice.
You could get just the MB and CPU and throw a $30.00 air cooler on it, but that's not what it's meant for.
The X79 is an enthusiast platform and really deserves to be WCed and OCed.
I recently started out with a $1000 budget and it doubled. Then I found an "open box" Asus RIVE and couldn't resist. Now my budget has tripled.
I did do a lot of research before planning my "z77" build, but I just couldn't resist how BA the RIVE looked so now I'm in too deep to go backwards.
Not that I regret my purchase at all(because it's going to awesome when I'm done), but if you are going to go with the X79, plan ahead and be prepared to spend, spend, spend...

either way whatever i get it will be wc/ed and heavily wc/ed...
looks to me with what i already have all i would need os mobo, cpu, and possibly ram..
i have a few different dual channel kits that are real nice but the x79 wants quad so with ram im looking at bout 12-1300 bukeroonies..
that could change as i really havent made up my mind yet...

either way whatever i get it will be wc/ed and heavily wc/ed...
looks to me with what i already have all i would need os mobo, cpu, and possibly ram..
i have a few different dual channel kits that are real nice but the x79 wants quad so with ram im looking at bout 12-1300 bukeroonies..
that could change as i really havent made up my mind yet...

Keep in mind that the "quad" memory for the x79 isn't a special "quad" produced ram.
The quad channel means you have to run 2-4 stick on each side. in other words, you can't stick 2 sticks in one side like a standard dual channel MB.
"Quad channel memory" is just marketing BS. Quad channel kits are just 4 sticks that have been tested to have the same specs/qualities.

Back