• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build w\fx-8320 and sabortooth r2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tcar

Registered
Hello all I'm looking for a little input here I put together this new system for my wife and I'm looking to get as much performance out of it as I can, so I thought I'd share with you where I'm at now and see if you guys think I could or should try to go a little further. system specs are.
Asus Sabortooth 990fx r2.0 (bios ver 1903 i think)
AMD FX-8320 (currently @ 4.4ghz w\22.0 multiplier)
Corsair Vengeance pro ddr3 @ 1866 w\9-9-9-24-1t timmings
2-Asus 7850 2gig cards (currently running @ 1000mhz core and 5200 mem)
Corsair HX-750 p\s
Corsair C70 case
Corsair H100i liquid cpu cooler (w\ SP120 quit edition fans in a pull config. exhausting through the top of the case)
2-Corsair 240gig GS ssd's in raid 0
Corsair fans through out case as follows
AF-120QE in the rear for exhaust.
2-SP120QE's in the very front (MB controlled)
2-SP120QE's right behind the hard drive cages(connected to a fan controller)
2-SP140QE's mounted to the side blowing on the vid cards and mother board.

the CPU is Idling @26c and peeking @47c with stock voltage 1.38 I think.

Graphics card are Idling @38c and peeking at 71c (this was with out the side cover on I'll check tonight and see what they do with the cover on and the fans blowing on them.)
Scores 7.8 on WEI Lol for what that's worth.
3Dmark11 score 10984 so far thats really the only bench marks I've thrown at it. I did play Bioshock Infinite for about 4 hours yesterday with no problems.
one odd thing I've noticed but I could be doing something wrong is when I try to increase CPU vcore in the bios the system immediately hangs and will not post. (i.e. that's why its still at stock voltage) but it seems to be fine at 4.4 even with the stock voltage.

Have you tried any stability testing at all?? Like P95??

Have you tried any stability testing at all?? Like P95??

sorry no not yet I just finished getting it up and running yesterday so didn't have time. I know I know I had time to play bioshock for 4 hours though right:D

I'm going to try to run P95 tonight if I have time.

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

I'll run P95 and get them posted as soon as I can hopefully tonight, Thanks.

Oops forgot a couple here they are. I still have p95 running and so far everything is passing no cores dropping, no hangs, freezes etc..and I'm surfing the web and listening to music at the same time and haven't noticed any slow downs or glitches. well anyway would welcome you guys input thanks again.

cpuzmem.PNG

cpuzspd.PNG

you need to get a little more air blowing into the vrm area, thats the things between the cpu socket and the i/o plate, the cpu line in harware monitor defines this temp, your at 58c and we like to limit it to 70c max and as you try to clock this cpu that will be reached quickly.

OK 1 more here, core 6 dropped out at 1 hour and 54 min. I stopped P95 and yet my CPU usage stayed at 91% and at first I couldn't figure out why, then I realized somehow I had opened P95 twice and one of them was still running. Capture.PNG

P95fail.PNG

now I'm not sure if I over stressed the CPU having P95 running twice simultaneously or what I guess I need to run it again huh.

you need to get a little more air blowing into the vrm area, thats the things between the cpu socket and the i/o plate, the cpu line in harware monitor defines this temp, your at 58c and we like to limit it to 70c max and as you try to clock this cpu that will be reached quickly.

I don't have my case side on right now, I have 2 140mm fans mounted to the case side panel but I've been working on it and so have the side off. I'll try running it again with the side back on as soon as I can and see what the temp. does then.

Honestly most side panel fans that blow in the direction of the motherboard can cause as much harm as good. For sure they do with an air cooled cpu. Might not with your radiator in the top of the case, but for you to see temps really no higher than you are now in P95 Blend mode, I doubt the side fans really will help anything connected with the cpu. Like the VRMs or the North Bridge.

But as you say...you will button it up and test again.

I would bump the multipler up by 0.5 or 1/2 and test to see what gives. I expect you will need Vcore close to 1.4V or just a hair under maybe. That 4.5Ghz is a pretty good number to run full time if the temps do not go up by much when moving to 22.5 for a multiplier.
RGone...ster.

Honestly most side panel fans that blow in the direction of the motherboard can cause as much harm as good. For sure they do with an air cooled cpu. Might not with your radiator in the top of the case, but for you to see temps really no higher than you are now in P95 Blend mode, I doubt the side fans really will help anything connected with the cpu. Like the VRMs or the North Bridge.

But as you say...you will button it up and test again.

I would bump the multipler up by 0.5 or 1/2 and test to see what gives. I expect you will need Vcore close to 1.4V or just a hair under maybe. That 4.5Ghz is a pretty good number to run full time if the temps do not go up by much when moving to 22.5 for a multiplier.
RGone...ster.

Well I did some more testing last night with the case closed up and all the fans running and it did help some cpu/vrm temp stabilized at 51c and package temp hovered between 38 and 41c this is while fully loaded in prime95, however after about 40 minutes core 7 dropped off. It seems to me that my temps are ok but it needs some more voltage to get it completely stable. I will try what you suggested tonight and see what happens. Also closing the case and getting all the fans running really helped with my graphics cards there not going over 60c fully loaded now. Also my side fans are connected to a fan controller I had to turn them all the way up to get the temps I mentioned.

You're correct a core dropping out is likely a lack of voltage.

Well it's doing well at this point I started over and started working my way up and this is where I'm at right now.
CPU 4.5ghz
cpu\nb @ 230
multiplier 19.5

test3.PNG

p95test3.PNG

cputest3.PNG

I've been slowly backing the voltages back down and this was the last stress test I ran no cores dropping out.
what do you guy's think??

can anyone tell me what this is and why it never changes seems kinda scary high temp but since it never changes I am assuming its not a real reading. test3.PNG

Well done tcar. Good clocks and good temps. Food for thought, ambient temps can play a big role with overall system temps. It's winter now so in the summer as things warm up you'll want to keep an eye on everything again. Also thermal paste can sometimes take a month or so to "settle in". So you may actually get better temps in a month or so.

we all see that, it's bogus and to be ignored.
nice clocks by the way.

+1

I have the same reading on my Asus M5A99X EVO

Well done tcar. Good clocks and good temps. Food for thought, ambient temps can play a big role with overall system temps. It's winter now so in the summer as things warm up you'll want to keep an eye on everything again. Also thermal paste can sometimes take a month or so to "settle in". So you may actually get better temps in a month or so.

Thanks guy's, I'm really happy with this new system it has turned out better than I expected.
Blaylock I am in south Texas its about 75f. right now and in the summer my wife keeps it like an ice box in the house so ambient temp shouldn't be a problem. I will monitor it though.
I actually think I could squeeze a little more out of this thing if I kept tweaking on it but it's a Christmas gift for the wife and I don't want her having problems with it so I think I'm going to call it good where it's at. I've been beating on it for 2 days now and it hasn't had any issues to speak of.
1 little qlich where the GPU fans will sometimes hang at 50% instead of coming back down to 10% but I think its an issue with GPU tweak not to concerned with it though.

Back