• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build w\fx-8320 and sabortooth r2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wanted to see if you guys might have some clue to give me here. my wife's new system has been doing pretty well but shes having some lock up's on occasion when playing sims3 and it happened to my son while playing total war 2 no crash just the game locks up also when playing sims3 it gets jerky when panning the view. I'll be messing with the system this weekend to try and figure out whats going on but as of right now when I did a quick check while she was playing sims3;
cpu and socket temps were barley over idle temp
cpu was only around 8-12% usage
gpu was any where from 30-80% max peak 80%
gpu temp was around 46c
memory usage was about 4gigs
memory is currently set at 1845mhz 9-10-9-24 timing
otherwise all system specs are identical to earlier posts and screen shots. I really dont see any reason why it would be having any problems if I cant figure any thing else out then I will set every thing back to default and see if the problem persists but given what I've described do you guys have any thoughts as to what might be going on??
Is it OC'ed and does the rig have the same issues at stock?

Is it OC'ed and does the rig have the same issues at stock?

yes 4.5ghz [email protected] the ram was oc'd but I backed back to stock thinking that might be the issue. system was stability tested using p95 fairly extensively see rest of thread.
I have not tried it yet at stock\default settings plan to do that this weekend if I don't come up with anything else odd thing is this was a Christmas gift for my wife and knowing she would be playing games on it I played bio-shock infinite on it for a few hours after stability testing with no problem.

Sorry Tcar I was a bit lazy and didn't go back and read through the whole thread, sorry for that. Anyhow, I saw in one of your posts you ran Prime for 4 hours without an issue, was it Prime Blend? Have you made any changes to the settings since then, other then backing down the ram to stock clocks after the problems occurred? usually when problems like that occur I set everything back to stock to see if the issue is still there. Unfortunately, when overclocking even if you pass hours of stability testing you may still run into problems with a certain program or game.

Graphics 2-ASUS 7850's = U still running those in CFire? If so take one card out and test.
RGone...

That got my attention too. AMD ( cards) seem to have a few more issues with multi card set-up. The right driver is very important. The only way to find the right one is to try them.

can you cntrl/alt/delete and call up the task mnger? or is the system locked solid?

:cheers:
Sorry Tcar I was a bit lazy and didn't go back and read through the whole thread, sorry for that. Anyhow, I saw in one of your posts you ran Prime for 4 hours without an issue, was it Prime Blend? Have you made any changes to the settings since then, other then backing down the ram to stock clocks after the problems occurred? usually when problems like that occur I set everything back to stock to see if the issue is still there. Unfortunately, when overclocking even if you pass hours of stability testing you may still run into problems with a certain program or game.

no other changes at all just the ram and yes it was blend and I even bump up the ram usage for the test I think I was using 7 gigs if my memory is right.

Graphics 2-ASUS 7850's = U still running those in CFire? If so take one card out and test.
RGone...

yup still am I'll try that

That got my attention too. AMD ( cards) seem to have a few more issues with multi card set-up. The right driver is very important. The only way to find the right one is to try them.

I was starting to think I might have a driver issue after slowing down the ram didn't fix it, I cant remember exactly which driver I have installed but it was the newest official release as of right before Christmas. any suggestion as to what version I might try first? or is it just a total crap shoot?

can you cntrl/alt/delete and call up the task mnger? or is the system locked solid?

most of the time you can cntrl\alt\delete but a couple times it has hard locked had to reboot. I thought at one point the memory might be a bottle neck so I cranked it up a bit faster and got a "bsod" only time that happened though. Lol that's what I get for thinking:eek:

Well I imagine you guys have better things to do on new years eve. thanks for the replies and have a safe and Happy New Years....:cheers:

Last edited:
Ok so I walked my wife through the bios and had her set everything to stock and told her to keep an eye on it and let me know if she notices any more issues I figured at least that way when I get there this weekend I'll know if it had anything to do with the OC.
I'm really thinking it's an issue with the drivers and the crossfire setup though. if you guys have any suggestions as to which driver I might try to start with (possibly one that is known to work well in cfire) Lol if there is such an animal:shrug:

My suggestion would be to google the games and xfire you might find which one work/don't work that way. Usually if there's a driver issue someone else will have the problem too. An easy way to see if it's the Xfire itself is to just diable it in Manager. Even take the bridge off.

My suggestion would be to google the games and xfire you might find which one work/don't work that way. Usually if there's a driver issue someone else will have the problem too. An easy way to see if it's the Xfire itself is to just diable it in Manager. Even take the bridge off.

Gee why didn't I think of that:facepalm::chair: sorry brain fart I guess, turns out sims 3 is not crossfire compatible and supposedly amd fixed crossfire issues with rome total war 3 but still lots of people reporting problems. so now knowing that (thanks for being so polite about smacking me in the back of the head Johan) I think what I will do is take 1 of my 7870ghz editions out of my system and put it in hers, then sell the remaining one and the 2 7850's out of her system and get me a 290x if I can find one. should be a win/win she'll be happy and I get an upgrade:D

Newegg has the XFX for $500 right now (if in stock).

This is why I always buy the best single card I can afford. Just so much easier.

Luck.

Back