• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new cpu or oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DmAxD

Registered
Hi.Recently i opened another topic about this but still i cant solved problem. i have phenom ii 1090t processor and i have gtx 780.and my cpu is bottlenecking my gpu.

i dont know what should i do

there are two ways

first is i have cheap motherboard.(m4a87td usb3) and i cant oc with this.
i am willing to buy ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD 990FX/SB950 AM3+

motherboard and oc my 1090t(i have hyper 212 cooler)(how many ghz i can make with this motherboard?)

or buy cheap motherboard and buy fx 8350(this is impossible for now cuz i dont have enough money)

which way should i choose?

Thanks

DmAxD, If you really feel your processor is holding you back then yes overclock it. I do not think you'll see much performance gain in going with a Fx Cpu. Most games don't utilize more then 4 "cores" and core for core the 1090 will probably outperform the Fx. You also do not need to get a Sabertooth motherboard. Though if you plan on buying a Fx processor down the road it may be a good idea to get a good motherboard now. The Coolermaster 212 Evo is a good heatsink you should be able to get a decent overclock out of the 1090 with it. Though, no one can tell you exactly how much of an overclock you can get out of that Cpu, every chip is different. Additionally, what are the exact specs of the system right now, Ram, Psu etc...?

or buy cheap motherboard and buy fx 8350(this is impossible for now cuz i dont have enough money)

Thanks

FX CPU + Cheap motherboards ....... that's a combination of words or thoughts that should not be mixed. By no means do you have to go out and buy a $250 Motherboard but using a cheap motherboard with the FX 8350 will in the end leave you disappointed and even more frustrated then you are right now.

Keep an eye out on the threads I have just put my PII 1090T back together again and on the sabertooth soon to be OC'd. Keep in mind you will probably not be able to get the same kind of OC as I will as I have the chip cooled by a custom water loop. Maybe I'll do a comparison between the two ..... 190T vs FX 8350.

The 1090T is a more then capable chip and in some ways and some peoples perspective a better chip then the FX CPU. I wouldn't wright it off just yet.

Phenom ii x6 1090t oc
Hi,im using Amd phenom ii x6 1090t and geforce gtx 780 video cards(i know i did mistake)and my gpu is bottlenecked by cpu.i got cooler master hyper 212 evo cooler.i want to overclock it to not to bottlenecked by cpu.

The original post is linked above and this whole thing has been gone over previously. It was suggested that he go Intel and I for one agree. That way he has the "gaming" cpu and then he can be assured that the cpu is not causing this thing he calls a bottleneck by the cpu. Otherwise without Intel I have my doubts the user will ever find the relief he is seeking.

In his original thread he got his 1090T to 3.8Ghz and that was not enough to reduce this issue he perceives as cpu bottlenecked. So it would be Intel for me for sure. No sense in fighting with the high heat of FX processors.

@Mandrake4565:
gigabyte gtx 780
asus m4a87td/usb3(cheap mobo and has lack of power control gives 1.47v on stock speed so for 4ghz it requires 1.536v otherwise it gives error,lol)
standart 1tb hdd
600 watt 80 plus psu
8 gb ram(4x1+2x2)
and 23'' led

@bassnut:yes i dont like this option too.i dont want to go 5ghz.i'm thinking 4.3 ghz should be ok

i tried crysis 3 mp on a 16 player server and im able to use 95%+ of gpu allmost all time-sometimes drops to 70%usage.(3.8 ghz)

i tried on bf3 48-64 players and my gpu usage wont go than 60 and im getting 40-50 fps

now i tried bf4 with medium settings i get 20 fps lol(this is maybe due to low optimization but again it wont go than 40+fps)

u suggesting intel but i have no money for this :| and i'm sure that was bottleneck!!

Last edited:
I don't see how the 1090 could be holding you back, I can play BF3 with my [email protected] and my 580 slightly overclocked. albeit @ medium to high settings without a problem on 1080p.

i dont like this option too.i dont want to go 5ghz.i'm thinking 4.3 ghz should be ok
4.3 on air on that chip is a longshot at best.

You say you have 8 gig of ram what speed and timings?

600w PSU, make and model?

I do suspect one issue, the motherboard. I have an older motherboard, as well as a M5A99X Evo Am3+. When trying to run my 955 on the older board it is significantly slower in benches, gaming and all around computing then the AM3+ board, at the same clock speeds.

I see two choices here:

One, take a shot, get a newer AM3+ motherboard and overclock the 1090 on it. Also if you're not running DDR3 1600 Mhz ram I would invest in some and see if the 1090 will run those speeds on it.

Two, save your money and buy an Intel rig down the road that is worthy of running that 780 card.

Do what?

i am willing to buy ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD 990FX/SB950 AM3+ motherboard and oc my 1090t(i have hyper 212 cooler)(how many ghz i can make with this motherboard?) = As Mandrake says above, there is no way to know how much more than 3.8Ghz your 1090T can go. Most really good ones on good boards with super cooling can do 4.0 to 4.1Ghz. But if you have only a fair 1090T as a few guys are discussing in another thread right now; then you might only see 4.0Ghz and 200Mhz more cpu speed is not going to fix your bottleneck problem and you have paid our money for a mobo for nothing really. IMO.

or buy cheap motherboard and buy fx 8350(this is impossible for now cuz i dont have enough money) = One a cheap motherboard and 8 core FX processor NEVER makes any sense if you wish to overclock the processor for increased gaming performance. AND you say you do not have enough money to make this purchase as a cheap motherboard and FX-8350 so if you have no money for that purchase, you certainly do not have enough money to buy a good motherboard and the FX-8350.

Now I am going to tell you an actual truth. I saw you say you might just trade down in video cards in the other thread you had about this bottleneck thing and I wondered what the heck. So did the other posters in that thread. You mean you would trade down from a high performance video card just to see percentages show up better in the usage monitors? I cannot believe that.

All that cpu bottlenecked means is that the video card maybe waiting on the cpu to hand off to the gpu. No way in heck I would trade down in video card just so the percentage of use monitors become more equal. CPU to GPU.

The situation you are in is really a head game. You bought a for sure performance video card and matched it with other subpar components. So now just because there seems a bottleneck based on use percentages you want to fix that so-called bottleneck. But you have no real money to do it. In the case of n0 money, I would just wait until I could completely upgrade the rest of my system to match my high end video card. But you cannot do that because your mind is dwelling on those cpu vs gpu percentages.

So you want us to say that the purchase of an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 which is a better board, should be purchased so you can push the 1090T about 200Mhz faster and that will remove your cpu bottleneck. NOT!

Save your money and build a system for your high end video card.

ok i decided to sell my asus hd 6870 directcu card and m4a87td mobo and 1090t processor.

now which processor and mobo should i buy?

fx 8350 or intel i5 3570k or 3330

i never used intel so idk which is best.

also i need mobo not more than 100$(if possible 50-70$)

ok i decided to sell my asus hd 6870 directcu card and m4a87td mobo and 1090t processor.

now which processor and mobo should i buy?

fx 8350 or intel i5 3570k or 3330

i never used intel so idk which is best.

also i need mobo not more than 100$(if possible 50-70$)

oops,sorry i dont wanted to make quote

You need to give a budget then we can tell you if it can be done or not. In addition:
say you have 8 gig of ram what speed and timings?

600w PSU, make and model?
Having these questions answered will help. Do not cheap out and buy sup par parts and expect miracles. If you truly want a good gaming computer then you may need to have patience and save up for one.

You need to give a budget then we can tell you if it can be done or not. In addition:
Having these questions answered will help. Do not cheap out and buy sup par parts and expect miracles. If you truly want a good gaming computer then you may need to have patience and save up for one.

İdk model but its huntkey 600 watt 80plus psu

my budget is around 300-360$

if u mean that i think they are 9-9-9-24 and cl9 1x4 gb is 1600 mhz and 2x2 is 1333 but im setting them to 1333

edit:if i can sell my processor quickly budget can up to 400$ but i dont think i can sell quickly

btw i'll play bf4.

Last edited:
i am willing to buy ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD 990FX/SB950 AM3+ motherboard and oc my 1090t(i have hyper 212 cooler)(how many ghz i can make with this motherboard?) = As Mandrake says above, there is no way to know how much more than 3.8Ghz your 1090T can go. Most really good ones on good boards with super cooling can do 4.0 to 4.1Ghz. But if you have only a fair 1090T as a few guys are discussing in another thread right now; then you might only see 4.0Ghz and 200Mhz more cpu speed is not going to fix your bottleneck problem and you have paid our money for a mobo for nothing really. IMO.

or buy cheap motherboard and buy fx 8350(this is impossible for now cuz i dont have enough money) = One a cheap motherboard and 8 core FX processor NEVER makes any sense if you wish to overclock the processor for increased gaming performance. AND you say you do not have enough money to make this purchase as a cheap motherboard and FX-8350 so if you have no money for that purchase, you certainly do not have enough money to buy a good motherboard and the FX-8350.

Now I am going to tell you an actual truth. I saw you say you might just trade down in video cards in the other thread you had about this bottleneck thing and I wondered what the heck. So did the other posters in that thread. You mean you would trade down from a high performance video card just to see percentages show up better in the usage monitors? I cannot believe that.

All that cpu bottlenecked means is that the video card maybe waiting on the cpu to hand off to the gpu. No way in heck I would trade down in video card just so the percentage of use monitors become more equal. CPU to GPU.

The situation you are in is really a head game. You bought a for sure performance video card and matched it with other subpar components. So now just because there seems a bottleneck based on use percentages you want to fix that so-called bottleneck. But you have no real money to do it. In the case of n0 money, I would just wait until I could completely upgrade the rest of my system to match my high end video card. But you cannot do that because your mind is dwelling on those cpu vs gpu percentages.

So you want us to say that the purchase of an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 which is a better board, should be purchased so you can push the 1090T about 200Mhz faster and that will remove your cpu bottleneck. NOT!

Save your money and build a system for your high end video card.

+1 to all.

OP: stop being stubborn and take the advice here. Or stop asking for it. It's basically that simple.

@Mandrake4565:
gigabyte gtx 780
asus m4a87td/usb3(cheap mobo and has lack of power control gives 1.47v on stock speed so for 4ghz it requires 1.536v otherwise it gives error,lol)
standart 1tb hdd
600 watt 80 plus psu
8 gb ram(4x1+2x2)
and 23'' led

@bassnut:yes i dont like this option too.i dont want to go 5ghz.i'm thinking 4.3 ghz should be ok

i tried crysis 3 mp on a 16 player server and im able to use 95%+ of gpu allmost all time-sometimes drops to 70%usage.(3.8 ghz)

i tried on bf3 48-64 players and my gpu usage wont go than 60 and im getting 40-50 fps

now i tried bf4 with medium settings i get 20 fps lol(this is maybe due to low optimization but again it wont go than 40+fps)

u suggesting intel but i have no money for this :| and i'm sure that was bottleneck!!

A gamer I am not ...... but have you ever thought that possibly your GPU is able to run your game without needing 100% of its capabilities?

If you really think that the Cpu is bottlenecking the system, which I don't, sell it and buy an I5 4670k, Z87 motherboard and some DDR3 1600 or 1866 Ram.

features on your mobo are: ASUS Xtreme Design :
ASUS Hybrid Processor - TurboV EVO :
- Turbo Unlocker
- TurboV
- CPU Level Up
ASUS EPU :
- EPU
ASUS Hybrid Switch :
- Core Unlocker
- Turbo Key
ASUS Exclusive Features :
- MemOK!
- Express Gate
ASUS Quiet Thermal Solution :
- Stylish Fanless Design Heat-sink solution
- ASUS Fan Xpert
ASUS EZ DIY :
- ASUS O.C. Profile
- ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
- ASUS EZ Flash 2
- ASUS MyLogo 2
- Multi-language BIOS . you should be able to OC your cpu

@rustylivz .... This is not a case of not being able to OC more that either he is limited in his OC by cooling or has a so so chip to OC. I have not had the time today to go read through the old post but am sure RGone and his posts above are completely accurate.

@rustylivz .... This is not a case of not being able to OC more that either he is limited in his OC by cooling or has a so so chip to OC. I have not had the time today to go read through the old post but am sure RGone and his posts above are completely accurate.

there are two ways

Thanks

The spec on that mobo shows he can oc

Last edited:
Hi.Recently i opened another topic about this but still i cant solved problem. i have phenom ii 1090t processor and i have gtx 780.and my cpu is bottlenecking my gpu.

there are two ways

i am willing to buy ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD 990FX/SB950 AM3+

motherboard and oc my 1090t(i have hyper 212 cooler)(how many ghz i can make with this motherboard?)

which way should i choose?

Thanks

By all means, start with the Sabertooth upgrade. You may find it will allow you to overclock your current CPU to the point where you are satisfied with the performance increase. With a Hyper 12 Evo cooler and good case ventilation (don't take the latter lightly) I'm guessing you can get to about 3.8 ghz.

But even if the overclock did not give you what you need, you have at least laid a good foundation for upgrading to an 8 core FX CPU in the future. Without a good motherboard foundation, don't even think about it.

By all means, start with the Sabertooth upgrade. You may find it will allow you to overclock your current CPU to the point where you are satisfied with the performance increase. With a Hyper 12 Evo cooler and good case ventilation (don't take the latter lightly) I'm guessing you can get to about 3.8 ghz.

But even if the overclock did not give you what you need, you have at least laid a good foundation for upgrading to an 8 core FX CPU in the future. Without a good motherboard foundation, don't even think about it.

while I agree with the mobo upgrade it would be more beneficial for you to get a 4570k or other i5 processor that will be about 300-350 $ that would relieve the bottleneck without major overclocking and you would have opportunity for a quick upgrade to a 4770k if you so ever please

Back