• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New custom AMD Energy plan from 1usmus might bring in an extra 250 MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/n...g-in-an-extra-250-mhz-on-clock-frequency.html

"AMD has been hard at work locking down the Turbo bin issue and recently releasing AGESA 1.0.0.4 offering even faster boot times. But wait dave, there's more. Not from AMD though, but from a 3rd party. It seems he will out a new energy plan that plan can bring in an up-to 250 MHz extra on the clock frequency for Ryzen 3000."

"The news was provided and posted on twitter by DRAM Ryzen Calculator programmer and Guru3D forum member Yuri "1usmus" Bubliy."

1usmus Custom Power Plan for Ryzen 3000 - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-download.html

I read it as some cores will boost higher as long as they actually can run higher so for most CPUs it's totally useless as they hit a hard wall at the clock which is their max turbo. On the best chips, it can be +200MHz as long as you compare it to the stock CPU settings, not manually overclocked.

This is hit and miss over at TPU. Some people gain nothing, some gain 25-50 MHz (that is what 1usmus said in the thread there). I don't think a soul gained 250 MHz. I'm still waiting to see some performance testing that is greater than margin of error/run variance. Too many people jumped on this bandwagon not knowing what it can do it or, seemingly how little it does if you simply enable the proper power plan and have the right BIOS + version of windows.... the basics.

We also don't know if there are any improvements when you are past 3abba or whatever the agesa is before 4b that is out now... Seems like those who gain the most leave things on the native balanced power plan (which AMD says to use theirs) otherwise it doesn't do anything measurable outside of clocks.

Most mobos don't even have beta 1.0.0.4, not to mention 1.0.0.4b. I have 3 mobos right now and only one has beta 1.0.0.4 and it's ASUS CH8 Impact. ROG usually gets full support quick.
As I said, can only read the description and take a look at screenshots and it's clear it only bumps cores that actually can run higher at given voltage/temps. News is easily manipulated and people expect impossible while they are clueless about the architecture. Anyone who was overclocking more of these chips sees how cores are overclocking and it's not possible to pass that regardless of BIOS or settings in the OS.

I'm waiting on new AGESA as performance improvements and some more were promised while I see pretty much nothing on beta 1.0.0.4.

Right... the point, however, was that if you are using the latest BIOS, whatever version that may be, chances are this does very little to nothing for you.

Slight boost from 1003abba to 1004b (no difference with or without custom power plan) on my 3600, used to have 4 cores 4125mhz + 2x4066mhz, now I have 4x4200mhz + 2x4166mhz. I can try to see if I can manually OC higher with the new BIOS but somehow doubt it :shrug:

EDIT: no dice, I'm stuck at 4.2ghz, so boost is actually doing its job by maxing out my CPU at stock settings (albeit at much higher voltage than a manual OC) :rain:

Last edited:
Slight boost from 1003abba to 1004b (no difference with or without custom power plan) on my 3600, used to have 4 cores 4125mhz + 2x4066mhz, now I have 4x4200mhz + 2x4166mhz. I can try to see if I can manually OC higher with the new BIOS but somehow doubt it :shrug:

EDIT: no dice, I'm stuck at 4.2ghz, so boost is actually doing its job by maxing out my CPU at stock settings (albeit at much higher voltage than a manual OC) :rain:

I had the same on 2x 3600. It was going up to the max boost clock on ASRock and ASUS mobos with 1.0.0.3/1.0.0.4 AGESA. Manual OC was about the same but I could make it on all cores. On 3600X and 3700X I could make also max turbo clock so 4.4GHz but manual OC on all cores was 4.3GHz. Max for benchmarks but unstable was 4.4GHz. On the 3900X is higher difference, up to 200MHz between cores but also boost is 4.6GHz.

Edit:
CH8 1.0.0.4b BIOS was just released. I will check it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well since I got pretty much the pinnacle of 3900x's on water I gave these a shot.

Gained nothing. Cpu has no problem running 4.5ghz all day and I been as high as 4.7 on water soon as my 3950x gets here I'll bust the 1.42v barrier and push higher. But it's not giving me anything most then what I can get with the normal power plans.

This 3900x is a beast tho. Haven't really maxxed it out yet. When I was pushing it I had about a 85-90 deg ambiant in Georgia but when my 3950x gets here I'll push it since it's now around 68 deg in this room. But decided my daily driver oc would be 4.45 @ 1.33v software but 1.32v on the DMM what is a great daily clock.

But glad some people got a few MHz out of this. I did a bunch of tests and got absolutely nothing. But the latest bios offer a nice improvement in terms of taming the voltages for the Ryzen 3000's.

I guess it's more for auto settings, not manual settings as when you set it manually then it actually works as you want it to. In theory, it let to boost higher these cores that can but it's automatically adjusted and turbo/boost doesn't work when manual overclocking is enabled. It also depends on the motherboard and additional settings as you can set "mixed" mode.
If you manually reached the max of your CPU then there is no magic that will let it run higher. Many people thought it's some soft that OC processors higher but there is no way to pass hardware limitations.

Back