• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New fan recommendation - TRUE Black Copper Rev. C 120mm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Parad0x420

Hey guys, been a while since I've last been on here posting.. just been quietly lurking in the shadows lately lol. :sn: :chair:

But I've come looking for a recommendation to replace the Coolermaster R4 fans I've got on my TRUE Black Copper Rev. C. A while back one of them decided to stop spinning for no apparent reason, I tried cleaning it up and still could not get it to power up.. so it got pulled out and is sitting in a box of 'spare parts'. But just 2 nights ago, I began hearing a whirring/clicking kind of noise which I noticed was my other R4. When I pulled it off the TRUE i noticed the plastic holding the fan to the pin in the middle broke off. I tried super-gluing the piece back together, but of course it's not spinning very well after its repair lol.

So I ask you all, what do you recommend looking at for 2 replacement fans to go on my TRUE? Keep in mind the fans have to have the open corners to be used with the fan mounts that come with the TRUE.

Thanks in advance! :D

Whats up ATM? That was a quick response. Yes, my board's fan headers are all 4-pins. Looks like a good fan, do they make any with red LEDs? And any idea if those are found on Newegg? Money's tight, but I have a Newegg preferred card so I can get what I need from there without worrying about the cost right away.

Looking around Newegg, I found those fans you linked ATM.

Also looking through the Corsair stock and I found these, but I'm unsure if the corners are open enough to use the TRUE mount clips.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181023

Also found these Corsair ones, they're open in the sides, but aren't 4-pin PWM.. but they have red LEDs lol.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181054

Thoughts on those vs the Noctua? Cost wise.. the Corsairs win me over, but if there's a good enough reason for the Noctua, I might pick those.

If money is tight, just replace the CM R4's and go your way.

I reviewed the Nocuta iPPC fans here. Good fans.

I have a pair of these on my True extreme 120 they aren't led but they do move a good amount of air for the money.

For the moment, I think I will be going with the twin pack Corsair fans I last linked above, and looking at a couple new case fans, I think a pair of Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm PWM fans look pretty nice and should move quite a bit more air than the stock Corsair fans in my 700D.

If these look like solid choices, I wouldn't mind a little agreement, or continue throwing up other options. If all goes well I will be pulling the trigger on purchase later tonight.

Thanks again to any feedback, it's all greatly appreciated.

I would steer clear of Corsair fans, personally. They don't typically perform up to spec, and the PWM ones cause issues with PWM splitters.

Good to know, I'll continue my fan digging and post back again. On a side note, I like the Noctua fans, but hate the colors... do they make anything in black?

Good to know, I'll continue my fan digging and post back again. On a side note, I like the Noctua fans, but hate the colors... do they make anything in black?

The Noctua IndustrialPPC fans are black.

At 53dBa? :eek:

Anything can be throttled. Get AFB1212Ms off of ebay for $9 each and undervolt them. You can use 2 on a header and they push quite a bit of air through restrictions.

PM me if you want to know what seller to use, as ive used a handful.

Anything can be throttled. Get AFB1212Ms off of ebay for $9 each and undervolt them. You can use 2 on a header and they push quite a bit of air through restrictions.

PM me if you want to know what seller to use, as ive used a handful.

I'm well aware, as I have five AFC1212D-PWM fans on my radiators in the Air 540.
They run ~23% and I have to be benchmarking for them to turn up.

My point is that 99% of users have zero need for a 38mm thick 3700RPM Delta screamer.
A 2000RPM fan gives finer control than a 3700RPM fan on a PWM header.

I'm well aware, as I have five AFC1212D-PWM fans on my radiators in the Air 540.
They run ~23% and I have to be benchmarking for them to turn up.

My point is that 99% of users have zero need for a 38mm thick 3700RPM Delta screamer.
A 2000RPM fan gives finer control than a 3700RPM fan on a PWM header.

This is true, but an AFB1212M is a 2200rpm 25mm thick fan that Ive gotten to undervolt to 600rpm. I can run 2 off of a single mobo header as well, so its not much of a screamer.

EDIT: How do you even stand those, the AFCs have a really wonky PWM curve. Arent they at like 1200rpm at 0% duty cycle?

If money is tight, just replace the CM R4's and go your way.

I reviewed the Nocuta iPPC fans here. Good fans.

How much did they pay you for that review...

How is a $30 fan a value to the average consumer? Anyone willing to spend that much on an "industrial" Noc would be better off buying from a "real" industrial fan supplier like Sans ace, Nidec or Delta.

Its a bit unsettling though that the 140mm magically has more static pressure than the 120mm at the same RPM. Generally 120s push harder. Hopefully Martin's liquid lab will test those and give us an accurate review.

How much did they pay you for that review...

How is a $30 fan a value to the average consumer? Anyone willing to spend that much on an "industrial" Noc would be better off buying from a "real" industrial fan supplier like Sans ace, Nidec or Delta.

Its a bit unsettling though that the 140mm magically has more static pressure than the 120mm at the same RPM. Generally 120s push harder. Hopefully Martin's liquid lab will test those and give us an accurate review.

You know why they're that much? THEY'RE WATERPROOF.

The ones that aren't waterproof are cheaper.

You know why they're that much? THEY'RE WATERPROOF.

The ones that aren't waterproof are cheaper.

Regular Noctua fans are $28 each...

I did forget to add that they would only really appeal to people who needed waterproof and dustproof fans.

Regular Noctua fans are $28 each...

I did forget to add that they would only really appeal to people who needed waterproof and dustproof fans.

And for good reason. Noctua actually stays completely silent at lower RPMs, unlike the fans you mentioned.
There's a place for each type of fan, this one is better with silence than a screamer.

Only the IP67 are waterproof and dustproof, which is what ehume reviewed.

Back