• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

haoleflip719

Registered
Hello! I built my rig a few months ago and I think it's time to do some overclocking. I come here because I am pretty much new to it and I have a lot of questions. I want to OC my AMD FX 4100 processor and my NVidia GeForce GTX 550ti. I really hope this forum is a helpful place and not full of trolls

Anyhow, I know I said I am new to overclocking, but I am not new to computers and technology. I'm a little technology-savvy. I am good at following directions and doing things right the first time. This computer is my 4th build. I am a cellular phone technician. Ummmm I don't know what else to say lol. But yeah, like I said earlier, I hope I can find the help I need!

Most of your bios setting should be fairly similar though terminoligy is different from manufacturer to manufacturer. It would help if you post the specs for your rig or even better create a signature with your rigs specs in it ...... this way when ever you post looking for help people will know what parts are in your system. This really saves allot of back and forth posts. You will find a link up top in quick links to edit your signature.

Oh ok, I guess I need 3 posts for signature option, so here's my 3rd lol...

Here's how to put a Signature.
And :welcome:

I only have Edit Details and Edit Options.

Anyway, here are my specs..

CPU:
AMD(FX) 4100 Quad Core 3.6 GHz
Motherboard:
Asus M5A97 EVO
PSU:
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS500-PCARD3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply
Memory:
8GB
Graphics Card(s):
Nvidia Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor(s)/Displays:
Asus 22"
Screen Resolution:
1600x900
Hard Drives:
500GB
Cooling:
Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Mouse:
Razer Deathadder
Internet Speed:
40↓ 6↑ | 4/10/12
Other Info:
Belkin n52te Nostomo Gaming pad

Last edited:
I believe you have to be a member for at least an hour also to update a sig. What PSU do you have?

Ok so now you should download the following programs, CPU-ID-CPUZ, HWMonitor and Prime95. Then open them all and run prime95 for 20 minutes so we can have a baseline of where you're at. Then post individual pics of the HWmonitor, The following tabs in the CPU-z, CPU,SPD,and Memory.

Please add your case make and model to your Sig. Having a case with good ventilation is important to successful overclocking. Also, I'm afraid you will find that your CM Hyper TX3 cooler will really limit your overclocking.

I am assuming you want screenshots of all those things after prime has been running for 20 mins, correct? If so, here they are....

To add...I feel like I'm getting mixed readings from each program I'm running. Mostly in temps. Is this normal?

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Untitled4.png
    Untitled4.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Untitled5.png
    Untitled5.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Please add your case make and model to your Sig. Having a case with good ventilation is important to successful overclocking. Also, I'm afraid you will find that your CM Hyper TX3 cooler will really limit your overclocking.

Signature updated. That's weird, I was looking it up in other forums and stuff and people have had no problem getting to 4.1ghz or even 4.4ghz. How do you figure it's not possible?

Last edited:
It's certainly possible! I never said it wasn't. Please read my post again. But you have to have to keep it cool in order to get those good overclocks. High temps are one of the chief limiting factors in overclocking. Look at your temps already in HWMonitor. Your CPU (socket) temps are already at 64c and your package temps are already at 51c. And your core voltage is only 1.296 under load. To get higher overclocks you will need to increase the CPU core voltage, aka, "vcore" and as you do your temps will elevate. You don't want your package temp to exceed 60c and your CPU socket temp to exceed 70c. You have a little temp headroom but maybe not enough to achieve your goal if that is 4.4 ghz.

It's certainly possible! I never said it wasn't. Please read my post again. But you have to have to keep it cool in order to get those good overclocks. High temps are one of the chief limiting factors in overclocking. Look at your temps already in HWMonitor. Your CPU (socket) temps are already at 64c and your package temps are already at 51c. And your core voltage is only 1.296 under load. To get higher overclocks you will need to increase the CPU core voltage, aka, "vcore" and as you do your temps will elevate. You don't want your package temp to exceed 60c and your CPU socket temp to exceed 70c. You have a little temp headroom but maybe not enough to achieve your goal if that is 4.4 ghz.

My goal is 4.0 or 4.1. And sorry, didn't mean to misinterpret what you were saying. :D

Am I wrong in saying it looks like his fsb has been tweaked more than the multi? And would I be wrong in saying try putting the fsb back @ 200 and to try upping the multi first to see what happens? Would that have anything to do with the temps?

I would like to think if he did that, he should be able to hit 4.1 on almost stock volts and it would be way cooler than it is now.

If I'm wrong and off base please forgive :D

From all the times ive watched Trents do AMD OC i would go 100% in what he is saying OP he can help you. And others i know as well in this section so if he makes a comment its for your own good. Now at a good guess from the temps i see you may have 3 things to concider. Up grade your Hyper TX3 and making sure you use and apply the right TIM and last is how many case fans you have! And do you have good cool airflow in your case, if not add some more or better fans with higher air flow. AJ. :thup: ;)

1, http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/mainboards-und-arbeitsspeicher/43809-hilfe-es-piepst-nur.html

P.S. Please scroll down and click on post no 3, is this your case one front 120mm fan and one 120mm fan at the back?

Also try running the PC with the door off and see if the Temps drop down, If they do then you need more air flow!

Last edited:
From all the times ive watched Trents do AMD OC i would go 100% in what he is saying OP he can help you. And others i know as well in this section so if he makes a comment its for your own good. Now at a good guess from the temps i see you may have 3 things to concider. Up grade your Hyper TX3 and making sure you use and apply the right TIM and last is how many case fans you have! And do you have good cool airflow in your case, if not add some more or better fans with higher air flow. AJ. :thup: ;)

1, http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/mainboards-und-arbeitsspeicher/43809-hilfe-es-piepst-nur.html

P.S. Please scroll down and click on post no 3, is this your case one front 120mm fan and one 120mm fan at the back?

OK sounds good and yes that is my case. And I need to upgrade my TX3? I just got it a couple days ago because I saw reviews and threads in other forums where people have used it to get to 4.4ghz.

Back