• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK good while you are waiting for Trents to come back just try a quick test, by running the PC with the door off! Then look and post the results for Trents to see if it makes any Difference in the Temps. OK you could run it for 20 mins that should be enough to heat up the CPU. AJ.

P.S. Then you can say to him what you have try to do!

Ok here are the new readings when case is open and prime running for 20 minutes...

Attachments

• 1Untitled.png
    1Untitled.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 2Untitled.png
    2Untitled.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 3Untitled.png
    3Untitled.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 4Untitled.png
    4Untitled.png
    36 KB · Views: 55
Haole, Trents is one of the more knowledgeable people here on the AMD front, he taught me a lot of what I know so you're in good hands with him. Now looking at both of your posted pics I can see that you are not getting enough airflow in your case. That is why your temps dropped 5c, unless your ambient temp was lower during the second test. How long have you tested this overclock to see if it is stable? For me it's 2 hours Prime.
Am I wrong in saying it looks like his fsb has been tweaked more than the multi? And would I be wrong in saying try putting the fsb back @ 200 and to try upping the multi first to see what happens? Would that have anything to do with the temps?
This is a good point that Osnaps, brought up. I have found, along with others on this forum. That on these FX chips, a combination of multi increase and fsb increase leads to the best OC's. Overclocking is more finesse then it is brute force if you want to get it to the best speeds for everyday use. After a certain clock speed the gains become negligible. I have found with my 8350 that after 4.7ghz the increase in V Core vs the gain in benchmarks really isn't worth it. The only way of figuring this out is by playing with your clocks, ht link, nb frequency and dram timings to see what the gains are. That is down the road though, so lets get a stable overclock first and then the fun begins.

How many case fans do you have installed, it says it has one 120mm in the rear and one optional 120 for the front. I would at least get another 120mm for the front if you do not already have one.

Haole, Trents is one of the more knowledgeable people here on the AMD front, he taught me a lot of what I know so you're in good hands with him. Now looking at both of your posted pics I can see that you are not getting enough airflow in your case. That is why your temps dropped 5c, unless your ambient temp was lower during the second test. How long have you tested this overclock to see if it is stable? For me it's 2 hours Prime.

This is a good point that Osnaps, brought up. I have found, along with others on this forum. That on these FX chips, a combination of multi increase and fsb increase leads to the best OC's. Overclocking is more finesse then it is brute force if you want to get it to the best speeds for everyday use. After a certain clock speed the gains become negligible. I have found with my 8350 that after 4.7ghz the increase in V Core vs the gain in benchmarks really isn't worth it. The only way of figuring this out is by playing with your clocks, ht link, nb frequency and dram timings to see what the gains are. That is down the road though, so lets get a stable overclock first and then the fun begins.

How many case fans do you have installed, it says it has one 120mm in the rear and one optional 120 for the front. I would at least get another 120mm for the front if you do not already have one.

I don't have anything overclocked just yet. I was told to just run these programs to "see where I am at" before I overclock anything. The first post of readings was from my computer being on and idle for a couple of hours already. The readings I posted this morning were done right after I turned on my computer this morning. I am new to this whole thing so I have no idea what you are saying when it comes to osnaps post and your reply, sorry lol. I do have 2 120mm fans though. One in front and one in back.

Looks like you guys are getting OP lined out well. I appreciate your kind words, Mandrake. Sorry, I've been kind of inconsistent, in and out the last few days. I've been in the hospital all week and there have been some ups and downs after prostrate surgery but today there have been some encouraging events and hopefully this thing is getting turned around. Merry Christmas, everybody!

Trents get better buddy and Merry Xmas from me and the Family here. Philip.

Guy's just asked the OP to try a quick 20 min Prime95 with the door off to see if the Temps Drop from 49c to 35c at idle, 64c to 61c load and yes they did.

Last edited:
I don't have anything overclocked just yet.
I'm confused now, if you look at your CPU-Z your processor is overclocked to 4154mhz, 3.6-3.8 default and your FSB has been upped from the default 200 to 230. So it is overclocked, did you not realize that?

I am new to this whole thing so I have no idea what you are saying when it comes to osnaps post and your reply, sorry lol.
Sorry I got a little ahead of myself with that whole statement I wrote before. We'll take it one step at a time.

Now If you look at your 2 HWMonitor pics what we are looking for are your "Temperatures Cpu" and "Temperature package". If you look at the two pics there is a 5c difference in the package temp and 3c in the Cpu temp. The drop in temp is can be because of the difference in ambient temps or lack of case air flow. I am thinking that it is the lack of fans in the case. This is going to be one of the limiting factors in your overclock. Does it mean you will not be able to get to 4.4, we don't know right now. It all depends on how much more voltage you will have to use to get it there.
Right now at your 4.1 Oc you are about 6c away on the CPU and 9c away on the cores from where you may start finding instability due to temps.

As of now all I really want to know before we take any more steps is, sis you know the cpu was OC'ed? You should also have a read of this thread, it's the same cpu and mobo as you.

Last edited:
I'm confused now, if you look at your CPU-Z your processor is overclocked to 4154mhz, 3.6-3.8 default and your FSB has been upped from the default 200 to 230. So it is overclocked, did you not realize that?

Sorry I got a little ahead of myself with that whole statement I wrote before. We'll take it one step at a time.

Now If you look at your 2 HWMonitor pics what we are looking for are your "Temperatures Cpu" and "Temperature package". If you look at the two pics there is a 5c difference in the package temp and 3c in the Cpu temp. The drop in temp is can be because of the difference in ambient temps or lack of case air flow. I am thinking that it is the lack of fans in the case. This is going to be one of the limiting factors in your overclock. Does it mean you will not be able to get to 4.4, we don't know right now. It all depends on how much more voltage you will have to use to get it there.
Right now at your 4.1 Oc you are about 6c away on the CPU and 9c away on the cores from where you may start finding instability due to temps.

As of now all I really want to know before we take any more steps is, sis you know the cpu was OC'ed? You should also have a read of this thread, it's the same cpu and mobo as you.

That is REALLY weird. I bought all pieces brand new from newegg in May of this year. I have not even thought about overclocking until I got this new heatsink a few days ago, so I have no idea how it could possibly be clocked already? I do have UEFI BIOS and on the main screen in does give me 3 settings: Quiet, Normal and Optimal. I have it on Optimal settings right now since I do a lot of gaming. Could that be the reason?

Trents get better buddy and Merry Xmas from me and the Family here. Philip.

Guy's just asked the OP to try a quick 20 min Prime95 with the door off to see if the Temps Drop from 49c to 35c at idle, 64c to 61c load and yes they did.

Thanks, Philip. You as well.

Merry Christams trents ...... hope all works out for you too..... cheers

I do have UEFI BIOS and on the main screen in does give me 3 settings: Quiet, Normal and Optimal. I have it on Optimal settings right now since I do a lot of gaming. Could that be the reason?
It's possible, I believe I have a similar BIOS as you I'll have to check when I get a chance to see if that is what is doing the OC.

I feel you have two avenues here, you could leave it as is and test it for 2 hours to see if it's stable at these over clocks. My issue with that is, you RAM is underclocked and your rated fsb is lower then it should be. I believe that the 4100 processors like the NB and Rated FSB around 2400. These are things we can work on though. Another option is to set everything back to default vales and start the overclock from stock settings to see what we can achieve. Up to you.

It's possible, I believe I have a similar BIOS as you I'll have to check when I get a chance to see if that is what is doing the OC.

I feel you have two avenues here, you could leave it as is and test it for 2 hours to see if it's stable at these over clocks. My issue with that is, you RAM is underclocked and your rated fsb is lower then it should be. I believe that the 4100 processors like the NB and Rated FSB around 2400. These are things we can work on though. Another option is to set everything back to default vales and start the overclock from stock settings to see what we can achieve. Up to you.

Well, I've had it on Optimal setting pretty much since I got the computer and haven't changed it, so I know it is at least stable on those settings. I am thinking I'll put it on Normal and start my OC from there? How do I fix the underclocking of the RAM?

You have to either raise the fsb more, which will also increase your nb frequency and rated fsb. This will also raise the overclock so you will have to lower your multiplier to keep it at these clocks. The second option is to return the FSB to 200 and then set the RAM to 1333 in the bios. You may have to manually set the timings also.

EDIT: I just checked on the BIOS and by hitting Optimal it does overclock the CPU so that is why yours is OC'ed

Last edited:
You have to either raise the fsb more, which will also increase your nb frequency and rated fsb. This will also raise the overclock so you will have to lower your multiplier to keep it at these clocks. The second option is to return the FSB to 200 and then set the RAM to 1333 in the bios. You may have to manually set the timings also.

EDIT: I just checked on the BIOS and by hitting Optimal it does overclock the CPU so that is why yours is OC'ed

Ok would you please kindly guide me through this? :eh?:

haole, I will be more then happy to guide you though either returing it to stock and the overclocking it or getting it squared away from where it is at now. I will be busy with Christmas starting today, I have 40 relatives coming over my house today. I am also going on vacation with the family as of Thursday. I will be back on Wednesday, so if someone else doesn't step in to help you, I will next Wednesday the 3rd. Happy Holidays.

haole, I will be more then happy to guide you though either returing it to stock and the overclocking it or getting it squared away from where it is at now. I will be busy with Christmas starting today, I have 40 relatives coming over my house today. I am also going on vacation with the family as of Thursday. I will be back on Wednesday, so if someone else doesn't step in to help you, I will next Wednesday the 3rd. Happy Holidays.

OK sounds good! Thank you.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS "Mandrake4565" to you and your family. RGone :)

Overclocking GPU's are easier than Cpu's imo, I have a EVGA 550ti thats kinda maxed i think?
Kinda sucks because its stuck at 999mhz core clock, anything over and it'll just underclock. i think i can help you with the Graphics oc'ing?

Overclocking GPU's are easier than Cpu's imo, I have a EVGA 550ti thats kinda maxed i think?
Kinda sucks because its stuck at 999mhz core clock, anything over and it'll just underclock. i think i can help you with the Graphics oc'ing?

That would be great! I have EVGA precision x and furbat to stress test. What do you use? What are your settings at?

Are you ready for me Mandrake4565? lol

Last edited:
Back