• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rad for cold weather

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
The plan is to have new case finished before the snow hits.
I already have some tubing and 3 1/2" ball valves to act as bypass valves.

All i do is switch off the bypass valve and open the other 2 and voila! the loop will flow to the rad outside my window, bypassing the one in my case which would only add heat since it's colder outside than in my case.

Anyway, all I need to know here is what rad I should get for hanging out my window?
A small 120? 240?? :shrug:

I currently have a Blackice GTX 280 (?) (it's either 240 or 280... I threw out the box but Bassnut will know, I bought it off him) and from what I can measure, it's not really enough. I have about a 19C delta from ambient to load temps, so I'm thinking the same size rad will do best out my window.
I'll try and measure my fans tonight to confirm the size of the rad.

Thanks guys :thup:

<.< you people and living places where you actually have a fall and winter.
I need to move back to Iowa...or at least Missouri.

When I get into water.......I swear.....Steampunk casemod, w/ nautical valves for the system

The bigger the better SP just get the biggest rad you can afford, here's on in the classifieds. I use a ThermoChill PA120.3 and my water temps will be within 2-3c of the outside ambient temps. On thing to note, if the window your hanging it in, is in the sun, it will increase your water temps to ambient +8-9c so you may need to build some type of shading device. My rad is facing South so I have this issue, solved with the addition of a cardboard box.

Alphacool XT45 360mm rad - $70 $60

<.< you people and living places where you actually have a fall and winter.
I need to move back to Iowa...or at least Missouri.

When I get into water.......I swear.....Steampunk casemod, w/ nautical valves for the system
Build log for sure!!!!! :thup:
The bigger the better SP just get the biggest rad you can afford, here's on in the classifieds. I use a ThermoChill PA120.3 and my water temps will be within 2-3c of the outside ambient temps. On thing to note, if the window your hanging it in, is in the sun, it will increase your water temps to ambient +8-9c so you may need to build some type of shading device. My rad is facing South so I have this issue, solved with the addition of a cardboard box.

Alphacool XT45 360mm rad - $70 $60
East facing window here :D

Nice find in the classies manny thanks :)
So as they say, "bigger is better"?

Keep in mind that your loop may cool below the point of condensation in your home. That would be bad.

Cant you just wrap the loop in hockey tape or something? Pipe foam? Do they have hockey tape in Canada?

Cant you just wrap the loop in hockey tape or something? Pipe foam? Do they have hockey tape in Canada?
You need to worry about the water block dripping on the components but I believe Silver already knows this.

you need to show him some pics of your prep manny, that's why I don't go sub ambient.

You need to worry about the water block dripping on the components but I believe Silver already knows this.

I was concerned with the pipes and never considered the block. Im sure there's ways around that though. Plastidip come to mind. Certainly will be tricky to get the painting done while still leaving the contact surfaces clean, but Im sure thats a topic for another thread. I dont know nothing bout radiators....so mouth closed fer now :)

all you really have to know is that bigger in every direction is better, my super nova and mora are better than my g changer every time on every rig.
colder is always better, unless you do what I did, and it becomes an epic FAIL..........

Back