• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rad for cold weather

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Isn't dielectric grease that stuff you put in your headlight sockets to make sure they conduct properly and hold in there well enough?

Yes it is but it's also a good water barrier, I use it in my PCIe and memory slots, CPU socket, when going really cold.

Well obviously it doesnt do what I think it does because to my mind it would bridge connections and short circuit things! :) When I grow crazy enough for sub ambient Ill be sure to remember this thread :)

Last edited:
If that where the case then you lights would short out too. It's a liquid barrier and an anti-corrosive.

EDIT: From the all mighty WIKI

dg.JPG

Speaking of cool water hows the geothermal loop working out?

Working great. Clocked to the max and I don't even think about it. Quiet to the point that I can barely hear the pump run unless I'm playing Frycry3 or some other CPU/GPU demanding game. The pump never runs over 40%. I'm starting to plan my next itineration. Using the Geothermal system to cool an A/C condenser and compressor. Using the A/C evaporator to sub zero cool the closed loop system that I have now; and dropping the computer into a tub of 70 weight mineral oil to eliminate any condensation issues. The added benny would be the water blocks would cool the oil which would in turn cool the "unblocked" motherboard components. I have pretty much all of the parts. Just have to wait till next summer when I have the time.

And now we return you to the regular scheduled programming

Last edited:
I would think that with an oil submerged, sub ambient cooled rig condensate would still be an issue as any condensate that formed along the tube would make it to the oil bringing crud with it and making it conductive at some point.
water is non conductive, it's the crap in it that makes it conductive.

I would think that with an oil submerged, sub ambient cooled rig condensate would still be an issue as any condensate that formed along the tube would make it to the oil bringing crud with it and making it conductive at some point.
water is non conductive, it's the crap in it that makes it conductive.

The tube insulation can extended down into the oil bath. Right now my geo tubes have 1/2" wall closed cell foam (A/C line) insulation with a foam core radiant barrier wrap on them. Switching the insulation to a silicone type right before it enters the oil will eliminate any hose condensation concerns. a silicon mat seal on top of the oil bath will eliminate any air contact condensation. If there should be any condensation it will migrate to the bottom of the oil bath and collect in the water separate drain located in the bottom of the bath. I've been planning this for a while Caddi :D

Finally had the time to sit down and look at the pics you guys gave us.
Thanks for them by the way! :)

So for this loop, since it's not LN2 or anything the like, I don't have to protect as much?
Just do like Johan has done with the precise cut foam around the socket and insulate the hoses?

Maybe do what Blaylock does for the back and put some foam covering the back of the socket too?
But then, if I do that how do I cool the back of the socket with my fan?

Hopefully I don't short the board out doing this in the winter lol.
Though, I'd love to upgrade my setup to and FX 8xxx or grab another FX 63xx one day and a saberkitty. A shorted board is sound reason to upgrade :D Me likes AMD much better than iNTEL now hehehehe

Well, you really don't want the fan. Adding a it to a sub zero board will create condensation. If your waterblock is cold enough it will keep the board plenty cold. I've had ice form under mine.

Well, you really don't want the fan. Adding a it to a sub zero board will create condensation. If your waterblock is cold enough it will keep the board plenty cold. I've had ice form under mine.
Oh?

I figured the fan would blow the moisture away... But I guess not since it would be blowing warm air onto a cold socket.

Ice? Powerdown and just let it melt away right?

Just go phase changing. Haven't seen those around but I hear you might need a straight connection to the power plant. :p

could always get a wet/vac, rig a custom attachment to go around the block, and have it constantly sucking moisture away via a long hose lol
lol soooo loud though :p
Just go phase changing. Haven't seen those around but I hear you might need a straight connection to the power plant. :p

lol as if my power bill wasn't high enough :rolleyes:
My dad has a PTAC unit sitting around too

Back