• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rad for cold weather

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
weeeeellllll, I live in the chicken and meth capital of the world, gainesvegas Georgia.
after that chicken is plucked, chopped, pumped full of more water than you can cook out of it, packaged and boxed, it has to be shipped, before it can go on that big train car ride out of meth heaven it has to be "fresh", not "frozen", frozen for chicken and meth is below 27f.
A friend of mine runs a frozen chicken and meth warehouse.
I took one of my rigs and we put it in there at -40f, let it set a good while and went to try to boot it up, guess what, fried a few fans as they tried to make speed and the friggen gpu would not keep contact in the pcie slot!!!!!!!

the other good one was the zalman reserator, V2
guess what slips right in the center of it, 2 frozen water bottles!!!!!! this worked pretty good and much better than just freezing the whole rig!!!!!! right up until the waterbock dripped condensation all over gods creation...........

Oh dear friggin gods CD.

So, with the first one, everything froze together, cept for the cards which shrank due to cold........

and the second............how much did you drink/ingest/inhale before doing THAT?

Ugh.......Georgia....I do not know any reason why I would go there.

Note to all: never move back in with parents....even though I am clearly over 30, I still am treated like I am two.

If you have 120mm fans on it its 240mm. If you have 140mm fans then it's 280mm. 120x2=240...140x2=280 see how that works? :)
:facepalm:
Cant you just wrap the loop in hockey tape or something? Pipe foam? Do they have hockey tape in Canada?

You need to worry about the water block dripping on the components but I believe Silver already knows this.
I work with foam everyday and we have a large supply of defective material. Most will know it by it's market name "Armaflex" by Armacell. Great stuff, soft like a cloud. Makes a great bed to nap on :chair:

Couple of pieces of that or other stuff and I can shove that around the pipes and block and I think that'll do. Though TBH, I never considered the condensation....
all you really have to know is that bigger in every direction is better, my super nova and mora are better than my g changer every time on every rig.
colder is always better, unless you do what I did, and it becomes an epic FAIL..........
Big fat rad? Sounds good :thup:

Does your mishap involve crazy vcore???
weeeeellllll, I live in the chicken and meth capital of the world, gainesvegas Georgia.
after that chicken is plucked, chopped, pumped full of more water than you can cook out of it, packaged and boxed, it has to be shipped, before it can go on that big train car ride out of meth heaven it has to be "fresh", not "frozen", frozen for chicken and meth is below 27f.
A friend of mine runs a frozen chicken and meth warehouse.
I took one of my rigs and we put it in there at -40f, let it set a good while and went to try to boot it up, guess what, fried a few fans as they tried to make speed and the friggen gpu would not keep contact in the pcie slot!!!!!!!
lol maybe not directly Vcore but I bet it's a part of the reason why you put the rig in the warehouse :D

send me some foam? I need a new non-allergen-filled pillow ROFL.

Aside from the block condensation. One could always put the coolant tubes, inside of bigger tubes, to collect said condensation.....drain it elsewhere. as we all know, everything.......is a collection of tubes.

you have to do that also, but the block itself is then the issue.
Vaseline in the cpu socket, lots of stuff to absorb the water coming off the block and airflow to blow it away.

- - - Updated - - -

with the zalman, I just wanted the thing to actually cool something.
I still have it and enough everclear and I'll drag it out and try some more.

- - - Updated - - -

you can talk about taking heat out of the cpu all you want, but, sub ambient is all about hitting that block with all the cold you can muster!!!!

send me some foam? I need a new non-allergen-filled pillow ROFL.

Aside from the block condensation. One could always put the coolant tubes, inside of bigger tubes, to collect said condensation.....drain it elsewhere. as we all know, everything.......is a collection of tubes.
Ehhh, I'd be more concered about the additves in the foam than allergens. Some of the stuff smells real bad. Some smell real good. Real good smell'n stuff has Epichlorohydrin in it. Smells like erasers. *looks up ECH on Google* oh great! Prolonged inhalation may cause lung irritation or cancer! :thup:

you have to do that also, but the block itself is then the issue.
Vaseline in the cpu socket, lots of stuff to absorb the water coming off the block and airflow to blow it away.

- - - Updated - - -

with the zalman, I just wanted the thing to actually cool something.
I still have it and enough everclear and I'll drag it out and try some more.

- - - Updated - - -

you can talk about taking heat out of the cpu all you want, but, sub ambient is all about hitting that block with all the cold you can muster!!!!
Uh what? Vaseline IN the CPU socket??

Anyone got some pics to explain what I'm getting into?
lol didn't think it would lead to rodeoclownville :thup: Sweet!

Are we sure we are not heading into CaddiDaddi kinkiville?

I mean..........sure petroleum jelly would protect against moisture getting into the socket and ruining your day.......but
There has to be something....I unno.....more kosher? does that word fit there?

- - - Updated - - -

What doesn't cause cancer these days?

Couple of pieces of that or other stuff and I can shove that around the pipes and block and I think that'll do. Though TBH, I never considered the condensation....
For my cold loop SP I use pipe insulation on the tubing, Armacell on the board around the socket as well as the backside of the board, with a layer of shop towels and as CD mentioned Vaseline in the socket, yes hes not kidding. You can also put Vaseline in the Pci'e slot and ram slots but isn't usually necessary when only using cold water, it's really for Ln2/Dice. I also have a shammy I wrap around the water block to catch any water. If you really want to ensure against condensation you can use Liquid electrical tape or Nail Polish on the board and also on the back, I do this for DICE/Ln2. You should have seen the look my wife gave me when I asked if she had any clear nail polish. :D If the water is below freezing it's better because the condensation will freeze on the block. If it isn't you will likely have water droplets forming on the water block so you'll need to soak that up. Last year the best water temps I saw were around -15c, I pulled an all nighter benching that night because of it. Living where you do I assume you'll have Johan like temps which are usually much better then mine.

For my cold loop SP I use pipe insulation on the tubing, Armacell on the board around the socket, with a layer of shop towels and as CD mentioned Vaseline in the socket, yes hes not kidding. You can also put Vaseline in the Pci'e slot and ram slots but isn't usually necessary when only using cold water, it's really for Ln2/Dice. I also have a shammy I wrap around the water block to catch any water, if the water is below freezing it's better because the condensation will freeze on the block. If it isn't you will likely have water droplets forming on the water block so you'll need to soak that up. Last year the best water temps I saw were around -15c, I pulled an all nighter benching that night because of it. Living where you do I assume you'll have Johan like temps which are usually much better then mine.
Ahh okay. I'm wondering if my current vertial setup has advantages over a horizontal setup in terms of water droplets falling?

Just put some foam and towels under my block and some vaseline in the cpu socket and i'm good? :shrug:

As for temps, yeah similar to Johan or better. Gets pretty cold up here!!

Ahh okay. I'm wondering if my current vertial setup has advantages over a horizontal setup in terms of water droplets falling?

Just put some foam and towels under my block and some vaseline in the cpu socket and i'm good? :shrug:

As for temps, yeah similar to Johan or better. Gets pretty cold up here!!
This is what I'd do SP, get a square of artist erasure, put it around the Cpu socket, then put foam on top surrounding the socket to the ram and vrm and shop towels on top. Make sure you can get it where it seals up against the water block, less air meeting the block the better. Vaseline in the socket isn't a must but it helps. A rag around the block and foam around the tubing.

Here are some pics of the 2 methods I have used and still do.

Method #1 (For sub ambient water or Controlled temp DICE-i.e. maintain around -17c for CB CPU's)

Liquid Electrical tape around the CPU Socket (top side and bottom side)
Closed Cell foam (old mouse pad cut up) sandwiched with Sham-Wow around CPU socket
Closed cell foam under MoBo at CPU socket
Vaseline (not KY!) in CPU Socket, Ram Slots and PCIe1

20150410_113445.jpg

20150410_172507.jpg

Method #2 (For LN2 or full pot DICE runs)

Eraser around the CPU socket
Closed cell foam under MoBo at CPU socket
Vaseline (not KY!) in CPU Socket, Ram Slots and PCIe1

20150516_113338.jpg

Like Mandrake said, The key is to keep the air away from the cold components. Eraser works best.

Last edited:
Oh dear friggin gods CD.

So, with the first one, everything froze together, cept for the cards which shrank due to cold........

and the second............how much did you drink/ingest/inhale before doing THAT?

Ugh.......Georgia....I do not know any reason why I would go there.

Note to all: never move back in with parents....even though I am clearly over 30, I still am treated like I am two.

Do a search in the AMD section ....... Bone Pile ....... heheheheheh

I read elsewhere that you can cover the board in PlastiDip to help. You gotta tape the vrm and pci slots first (probably the north bridge and Southbridge as well) I'll dig up the actual post if anyone wants to see it, but that's the basics of it

I read elsewhere that you can cover the board in PlastiDip to help. You gotta tape the vrm and pci slots first (probably the north bridge and Southbridge as well) I'll dig up the actual post if anyone wants to see it, but that's the basics of it
You can coat it with conformal as well. As Blaylock said difficult to RMA after that though, also time consuming. You can also just cover the whole board with Dielectric grease or Vaseline.

Silver, you won't need to go all out for your loop as we would on LN2. What I do is put some vaseline on the back of the board in the socket area to protect against any condensate. Then I have cut some foam to fit snugly against the board and bottom of the block. This takes some trial and error. Too tight = bad contact and too loose = water problems. Remember you'll likely have fans in the are so the pressure is a bit higher because of that. So a good seal is very important. The hoses are wrapped in insulation and when all connected I use a dish rag to wrap the top of the block.

P1210892.JPG

image_id_1318411.jpeg

Back