• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Rig for $1000 w/ questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JavaJon

I recently built a new rig and have a few questions.

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R
MB: Gigabyte Z87-D3HP
CPU: Intel i5 4670k clocked to 4.4
PSU: Corsair CX600M
GPU: XFX R9 270X
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4g DDR3 1600
PCU Cooling: Antec Kuhler H2O 650

A. Did I do decent for specs/cash spent ? Roughly $1000
B. Would adding a twin card in crossfire be beneficial or would I have more problems like bottle necking my CPU ? (I may drop my OC to 4.2g as I am locking up sometimes in Battlefield 4 although all my other games seem to run with ease)

Off to work I go and I will check in from my phone this evening for replies. All help is appreciated as this is my first custom build.

Go for a better cooler than that.
Cheap AIOs are worse than good air coolers, check out the NH-D14.

This was a budget build. Got that cooler for $55 and it works like a charm. I have ZERO heat issues.

To answer your Crossfire question, I wouldn't do it on that PSU, and its not worth it with a 270X.
I would get a better single card and sell the 270X before doing Crossfire.

To answer your Crossfire question, I wouldn't do it on that PSU, and its not worth it with a 270X.

Thanks I was considering stepping up to a 750 psu. Alternatively I am planning my next build already and may give this to my son when he comes home from school this year as is.

I may drop my OC to 4.2g as I am locking up sometimes in Battlefield 4 although all my other games seem to run with ease
This was the only thing that concerned me, if you're locking up you're probably not stable at that OC. What did you use to test for stability?

How long did you run it for? I find that if I can pass 2 hours Prime Blend my computer will take anything I throw at it without a hiccup. Is the 270x overclocked?

How long did you run it for? I find that if I can pass 2 hours Prime Blend my computer will take anything I throw at it without a hiccup. Is the 270x overclocked?

Yeah I did it for a couple hours with no problems. I did forget to mention I did overclock the card too. I will put the card back to the factory OC settings and see how she handles it.

What he said.

:cool:

This was a budget build. Got that cooler for $55 and it works like a charm. I have ZERO heat issues.

Granted if it makes you happy go with it guess, long term durability might be an issue.

Last edited:
Yeah I did it for a couple hours with no problems. I did forget to mention I did overclock the card too. I will put the card back to the factory OC settings and see how she handles it.

It's probably the Gpu overclock not being stable for that game. Some games are just harder on the Gpu.

Generally did good, except the video card. Due to mining bonanza, I paid close to $100 more than it is actual MSRP. It is not wise to buy second ATI card, since they are overpriced at the moment due to being out of stock most places.

Generally did good, except the video card. Due to mining bonanza, I paid close to $100 more than it is actual MSRP. It is not wise to buy second ATI card, since they are overpriced at the moment due to being out of stock most places.

So $239 for an overclocked DD R9 270x was bad ?

And I got 4 free games totalling $160 value with the card actually. Best Buy ftw !!!

Back