• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkVirusVx

I have a D-link DI-604 and well it just sucks. It will randomly disconect one or all four of the ports and the only way to fix it is to unplug it. The network is 3 computers( 1 internet only, 1 game and internet, and the last 1 FTP) and a PS2. I have recently read reviews on newegg and people were having the same problem.

I bought the D-links on a whime with no research. Once I learned alittle networking it was easy. But it getting old and I think I can do better.

So with my networking needs in mind can someone point me to a router that fits my needs,is reliable and dosnt cost an arm and a leg?

My computer also has "Gigabit Ethernet" so anything that can take advatage of that would be nice. :D

The linksys routers that I have played with have has lots of different configuration options and been very reliable. I can't name one in perticular that I would say is better than others, but that has been my experience.

And I have a USR router at home here, which has been very reliable, but configuration is limited.

find an old computer at a dumpster. somthing a little faster than 90mhz

You don't need 90MHz, any 486 will do for a good floppy router (lrp,fli4l,freesco). What you do need is 16MB RAM. So basically any PC with 16MB RAM, a floppy (or any other mass storage) and 2 network cards will work. And with the exception of WRT54G is a better router than any store bought one

Well I do have a open computer to use but I'm alittle unsure about smoothwall. Do you ger a network card for each of the computers you want to have on? And do you need to know Linux very well?

Back