• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Setup, Need council on OCing. Am I maxed out or can I try diff settings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
aweaver255,

Would you add the Memory and SPD tabs to your CPU-z pics next time please?

Yeah like I said I'm surely gonna give it a shot! :) I'm actually very interested to see the results. Before this build I had researched the RAM capacity for the FX 8350 and haven't ever come across any specs. I'm clueless there. Lol

I'll test actually see what I can get for a stable clock with 2 sticks, I think I have a 80mm fan kicking around I can put on the VRM too.

- - - Updated - - -

Will do! :)

Well then.... Here's my findings. I wasn't able to do any better with the 2 sticks of RAM removed! Went thru the same process using only the multiplier and had the same issue, voltage needed to be up to 1.55 for a 4.5GHz clock. I'm quite certain the ram capacity has to do with the motherboard and not the CPU. I'll do a little research on that but from this test alone it shows it doesn't make any difference.

So it seems my particular CPU needs more voltage and yet runs cooler than most. Hence my question before, does anyone know the regulations for this particular CPU? Like I said, AMD has RECOMMENDED a 1.55v MAX, AND yet they also RECOMMEND we don't overclock. For some reason I'm inclined to just throw 1.6v at it lol just kidding. I'm happy enough with the 4.5GHz

Yeah I've done the research, the board supports 2133 but the QVL doesn't show it. Updated BIOS version was required. I had it running with optimized defaults before with the sticks at 2133 and it was fine. Regardless, they were run at 1600MHz and not 2133MHz. I didn't even monitor the temps or stress it. When I was finally able to get past BSODs and get into windows, it failed the tests within a few minutes even at 1.52v so I grabbed the conclusion that there wasn't going to be any difference by removing the 2 sticks if I'm up in the 1.52's for voltages.

Just because it ran the sticks at lower than their rated speeds, doesn't mean it can run it at the faster speed. ;)

If a bios update added those sticks, then the QVL list would be updated. ;)

Ahh a leaky chip like my FX 6300.

Well I will tell you now, hitting it with more Vcore won't help. I've gone up to 1.75v on AIR trying to get it stable at 4.7Ghz. No dice. Tried this again, hammering the voltage but this time on WATER. Still no dice.

There is a point where more Vcore doesn't make it stable, in fact it makes things worse. More heat..

In the end, I settled with the FX 6300 at 4.6Ghz @ 1.6v. Any less voltage and it fails prime95.
I love Vcore, so I take the risk running the 6300 at 1.6v all day, and I can confim that my chip has degraded becasue of the repeated hammering of voltage and the extreme temps I let it get to (85C package, 96C socket!)

My advice is to find a clock that doesn't need more than 1.55v which for you seems to be 4.5Ghz.
The only other option is to roll the dice with a new CPU, but honestly, unless you can get the new CPU to 4.7-4.8Ghz it's not worth the money preformance wise. :)

Sucks having a crappy chip, I know what it's like but hey, buying a CPU is like playing the lottery. You never know if you are going to win. Win as in a good high clocking chip anyways!

Agreed. As an added note, the 2133MHz was added to their list of rated speed for that stick. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-ballistix-elite Here's their speeds: 1600 MT/s, 1866 MT/s, 2133 MT/s, 2400 MT/s. It's actually an 1866MHz, the 2133 is OC, same as the 2400. Which is why they aren't on the list. That's why you see 2133(OC) and 2400(OC). http://www.crucial.com/wcsstore/Cru...x/productflyer-crucial-ballistix-elite-en.pdf it isn't even a listed product lol

The BIOS update was for supported memory, I'm guessing for speeds above 1866?

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta agree with you there, just gonna stick with the 4.5GHz at 1.55v and I'm well under temps. I am comfortable with this and it won't be run 24/7 anyways. I'll boost it when I need it and run it stock when I don't. :)

Ahh a leaky chip like my FX 6300.

Well I will tell you now, hitting it with more Vcore won't help. I've gone up to 1.75v on AIR trying to get it stable at 4.7Ghz. No dice. Tried this again, hammering the voltage but this time on WATER. Still no dice.

There is a point where more Vcore doesn't make it stable, in fact it makes things worse. More heat..

In the end, I settled with the FX 6300 at 4.6Ghz @ 1.6v. Any less voltage and it fails prime95.
I love Vcore, so I take the risk running the 6300 at 1.6v all day, and I can confim that my chip has degraded becasue of the repeated hammering of voltage and the extreme temps I let it get to (85C package, 96C socket!)

My advice is to find a clock that doesn't need more than 1.55v which for you seems to be 4.5Ghz.
The only other option is to roll the dice with a new CPU, but honestly, unless you can get the new CPU to 4.7-4.8Ghz it's not worth the money preformance wise. :)

Sucks having a crappy chip, I know what it's like but hey, buying a CPU is like playing the lottery. You never know if you are going to win. Win as in a good high clocking chip anyways!

Bios update was compatibility... maybe for faster speeds, definitely for other tested sticks.

The issue is not whether the motherboard will support the high speed memory. The issue is the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on the CPU in any kind of a stable fashion.

The issue is not whether the motherboard will support the high speed memory. The issue is the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on the CPU in any kind of a stable fashion.

Which is why I kept them at 1600MHz. I've actually put a support ticket in to AMD asking about RAM in this situation. We'll see what they say.

So the next question from here is:

Can I put the power saving features back on like Cool 'n' Quiet etc with it OC'ed? I'd assume that it would jump around with voltages and speeds according to the load I ask it to do. Never done it before but it is a question I've had. Keep it set on High Performance settings or Balanced or Power Saving?

Yes I bought 4 sticks, each 8GB each, all separate. I hear what you're saying DNRDustin, they're designed to run "up to" 2133MHz. By saying "stock" I mean they're set to 1600MHz at default voltage of 1.5v. They're designed to go run "up to" 1.65v. Hope that clears that up for you.

So to make sure I understand you correctly you bought each stick individually and not as 4x8gb kit. If this is the case these things may not play nicely together even at stock speeds.

Which is why I kept them at 1600MHz. I've actually put a support ticket in to AMD asking about RAM in this situation. We'll see what they say.

So the next question from here is:

Can I put the power saving features back on like Cool 'n' Quiet etc with it OC'ed? I'd assume that it would jump around with voltages and speeds according to the load I ask it to do. Never done it before but it is a question I've had. Keep it set on High Performance settings or Balanced or Power Saving?

A few years ago we always turned that "green" stuff off because it could cause instability at higher clocks but I'm not so sure it's a problem any more, at least not at a modest overclock.

Typically, you leave it off while finding a stable overclock, then, if you choose, you can enable it. The point in disabling was never for incompatibility, but to eliminate variables that could cause instability. It was ok to do a few years ago too. ;)

yes, after you find a very stable overclock turn the green stuff back on, no reason for it to idle at high clocks and voltage.
be sure to go into windows, advanced power management and set minimum processor state to 10 or 15 percent and when it's waiting for you it will idle down to 1400 or so and the vcore will reduce to around 1 volt.

- - - Updated - - -

A great link to some stuff by our very good friend Rgone>>>>>>>>>> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...s-gt-gt-Using-the-AMD-FX-Bulldozer-Piledriver

Back