• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New socket to replace LGA1366 due in 2011

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingman99

So much for the people that said LGA1366 is a upgrade path over the 775 there both dead sockets, I had my doubts back then. If your a encoder or run a farm I sure you still could be happy. If your a gamer I would not be to happy with such a small return in performance from the 775 to 1366.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/04/12/new-socket-to-replace-lga1366-due-in-2011/1

QUOTE:Here’s a quick bit of overheard info for you – Intel’s replacement for its current high-end Core i7 CPU range will arrive in Q3 2011, so if you’re planning an LGA1366 upgrade now (perhaps with a Core-i7 930) then it’s still got plenty of life left in it.

The bad news is, there will be no compatibility between current LGA1366 Core i7s and the new socket. Intel is planning on launching a new socket for every new major CPU revision as it’s continuing to incorporate more and more features into future CPUs, which means pin-counts and sockets will inevitably change.

Our sources in Taiwan also told us that the new chipset that will accompany this socket - inevitably being called "X68", although this is far from being an official name - will feature four DDR3 DIMM channels. It will only support one DIMM per channel as this maximises memory bandwidth, but memory density will be overall lower than current LGA1366, Core i7 systems as there will only be four sockets versus the six you see on current X58 boards. The chipset will include more PCI-E lanes of some description, either 2.0 or 3.0.

No details on the socket pin-count or size are available yet, however we do know the first CPUs will be a native eight-core, 16-thread design (as seen in the just launched Xeon X7650), based on the upcoming Sandy Bridge architecture.

Sounds like a $600 motherboard and $1500 CPU. I'm sure they'll fly off the consumer shelves :p

So much for the people that said LGA1366 is a upgrade path over the 775 there both dead sockets, I had my doubts back then. If your a encoder or run a farm I sure you still could be happy. If your a gamer I would not be to happy with such a small return in performance from the 775 to 1366..
Q3 2011.. Thats still 1.5 years away and 1366 came out 11/2008... ~3 years on one socket isnt enough?

Lets also not forget that this news JUST came out, and regardless, 1366 is still the best upgrade path available so..............

if intel will be changing sockets every 2-3 years AMD has a chance to catch up on them if they can keep their sockets available longer.. sure new features are great, but for most home users the 1366 is still well beyond what they need.. for gamers.. there will be no use for a native 8core processor since most games don't even use 4 let alone 8+..

though maybe this will drive the prices down on the 980x so people with a family and kids and cars and a sub 6figure job can afford em :p

Q3 2011.. Thats still 1.5 years away and 1366 came out 11/2008... ~3 years on one socket isnt enough?
3 years is note enough just look at the old 775 and AMD CPU history with the cpu path upgrades galore on the same socket. it's not about the 3 years. It's that there is no cpu upgrade architecture for the price you paid on the board and memory.

Lets also not forget that this news JUST came out, and regardless, 1366 is still the best upgrade path available so..............
I'm speaking for gamers, you buy the most expansive motherboard and 6 gigs of memory that you don't need now and a CPU that will be outdated in gaming in 3 years.

If you already have a dual core 775 get a Q95xxx for gaming becase the 1366 is insignificantly better at the same clock speed in gaming, with a single video card and a dual GPU. For the same objective, if your buying a gaming rig and you want to save allot of money buy a 775 quad system, the 1366 is a dead socket to.

Last edited:
I still run a couple 939 rigs. I have ZERO complaints with them and they do everything I throw at them.

939 was fazed out how long ago?

The ONLY reason I have an I7 is solely because of my laptop.

/typing on a tri core AMD
//staring at an E5400, Q6600 and a Pentium 1 daughter board.

I don't know if i am happy about this, but not for the reasons you may think.
Sure the Socket is going to live for 3 years, and 3 years is a good amount of time....

What i don't like is that CPU's just are not getting faster anymore.
I got my Socket 1366 in Nov 08 with a Core i7 940.
I can run it at 4.4Ghz stable, this is a CO, not the new DO.

Now 17 months later, what can I upgrade to?
I can wait a few more months and see what the up and coming core i7 970 32nm shrink can do. But that is about it.
I get what for this wait? 2 extra cores (4 threads) and maybe if i am lucky 200Mhz?

If you want to talk about a good socket and the good old days, its not socket 775. Its slot1/socket 370 with the BX Chipset.
My Abit BF6 (slot1) took my from a P2 333 @ 420Mhz all the way upto a Tualatin-128 1.1GHz CPU @ ~1.5/1.56Ghz (11x137/142) if memory serves correct.
With many CPU's in between.

That is talking about a single CHIPSET, 1 motherboard.
Over a 4 year spawn (1998-2002)
We went from 233Mhz (P2) to 1400 (P3-S Tualatin), that's without overclocking.
You can also look at it as a 6x increase in speed.
Or 1.5x speed increase a year.
I wont touch on the P4 as their MHz don't count, as clock for clock they only do 3/4 the work.

I don't know if i am happy about this, but not for the reasons you may think.
Sure the Socket is going to live for 3 years, and 3 years is a good amount of time....
That is not a socket living for 3 years it has one upgrade to 32nm 6 core 12 threads, that's a dead socket now in 1.5 years it has 1.5 left.

775 started February 1, 2004 The Prescott and Cedar Mill Pentium 4 cores, as well as the Smithfield and Presler Pentium D cores, used the LGA 775 socket. Core 2 Duo (codenamed Conroe)E6700-E8400 which also uses this socket, as does the subsequent Core 2 Quad Q6xxx-Q9xxx . it's now 2010 that is 6 years, and 6 generations of total revolutionary and evolutionary die changes as upgrades.

Last edited:
Glad I sold my 920/x58/6gb for a little more than I paid for it and went with a cheaper 1156 setup, i see no diff and we all know I will go sandy rofl.

That is not a socket living for 3 years it has one upgrade to 32nm 6 core 12 threads, that's a dead socket now in 1.5 years it has 1.5 left.

775 started February 1, 2004 The Prescott and Cedar Mill Pentium 4 cores, as well as the Smithfield and Presler Pentium D cores, used the LGA 775 socket. Core 2 Duo (codenamed Conroe)E6700-E8400 which also uses this socket, as does the subsequent Core 2 Quad Q6xxx-Q9xxx . it's now 2010 that is 6 years, and 6 generations of total revolutionary and evolutionary die changes as upgrades.

For Socket 1366, we still have CPU's yet to be released.
Also like I said, 3 years and not having to change my motherboard, I am ok with that. The Fact Intel or AMD cant make a faster product for me for at least 3 years, I am not.

Also 6 Generations have not passed in Socket 775
P68 aka P4 is a 7th Generation CPU
Core 2 is a 8th Generation
Core i7 is a 9th.
I have no idea how you are getting 6 generations.

Also, How many Chipsets/ Motherboards for Socket 775 are still supported or work with Prescott all the way to a Core 2 Quad?
I think you are over ratting the platform.
A 6 year old motherboard/chipset will not be cutting it today.
Current Chipsets that will not work would be
8XX series
9XX series are hit and miss, but giving the benefit of doubt we will say a
945 or 965 board is still relevant, so a 2006 release, thats 2 years off your timeline right their.

Intel didn't have a choice, AMD jumped them with the quad channel server memory, they HAVE to make a new socket for quad channel.
How many generations depends on what you call a generation. If it's major architecture, 775 only saw two.
Prescott, and Core2. Core2duo and Core2quad are the same architecture. As are Prescott and Pentium D.

Agreed Bob, plus AMD and Intel seem to be diverging server and mainstream sockets.

I think Intel is ready to dump Itanium too, their new Nehalem EX 8 core monster is said to be totally canabalizing the mainframe market. Does the same thing for a fraction of the cost, in a well known x86 environment

i find future proofing a funny term in computing hardware. Its only ever gona be future proofed for around a year or two. apart from my PSU and Case, hopfully those will last me a while XD.

Intel didn't have a choice, AMD jumped them with the quad channel server memory, they HAVE to make a new socket for quad channel.
How many generations depends on what you call a generation. If it's major architecture, 775 only saw two.
Prescott, and Core2. Core2duo and Core2quad are the same architecture. As are Prescott and Pentium D.
No there not, the core2 was based on the pentium 3 no net burst see link below, there is so much more if you want I will keep going on all the changes in architecture.

And I base generation by revolutionary and evolutionary die changes as upgrades. that means a new chip with with a new number or or name with a change in architecture of some sort.

Here is the link.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Colwell

Prescott and Core/Core2 are the two architectures.
Note the period between "Core2" and "Core2duo".

Core2 was based closely on Core, which was based loosely on Pentium M, which was based on P3, if you want to be exact.

Geez, another new socket.

CPUs are getting so far ahead of current game engines it's now officially comfortable to say "Every newer gen of CPU's will not be for gaming anymore". 4 threads are only just recently starting to get used in some games.

Pretty much everything from the i7 on is mostly for work-related tasks. It's looking like even the next gen of consoles will be outdone by newer PC hardware faster than ever before.

Back