• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Strix x299 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seems as solid as the others at first glance. Not sure what the changes are (I think the Asus website has a compare feature?) offhand.

I surely wouldn't buy it if I had the Apex and it served my needs though. ;)

Last edited:
The advantages of this board as far as I can see are the 12+2 power stages (4 more than the Apex) and it's ready for cascade lake 48 lane CPU's, the 10000 series. It also has 2x 8 pin CPU connectors.

What is that going to yield for you, though? Are the VRMs better? It isn't all in phase count. ;)

The Apex will handle your CPU overclocked without flinching.

Your board will support the new CPU with a BIOS flash I believe. So since you already have a CPU, you can update to the BIOS which supports the new chips and be good. I believe it is already out (version 2002?). The Apex also has 2x 8-pin EPS connections.

Before going out and getting it, I would wait to see what the flagship Cascade Lake CPUs will need before buying a board for little to no reason. But if you just want a shiny new thing, DO IT! :)

This has more "goodies" on it:

- 2.5 GbE port
- 3x USB 3.2 Gen 2 (that's the old USB 3.1 Gen 2...or USB 3.1...but hey, it's the 10 Gbps USB interface)
- WiFi 6 802.11.ax (yay...another "fast" short range WiFi protocol)
- 3x PCIe 4.0 ports (it says it on the Amazon page, but PCIe 3.0 on the Asus site)

I wouldn't change from Apex to Strix. It's like a downgrade even though there are some new controllers... that you probably won't use anyway. All X299 mobos get new BIOS with new CPU support. Also, don't look at power phases as even much weaker design is able to handle 10-16 cores at 4.7GHz+.

The Apex has a new bios out now; it's 2002. But will that give support for 48 lane cpu? Thanks.

Back