• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED New System Build. Looking for your feedback. Starting with CPU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh, running at 1920x1080. I don't plan to use dual or triple monitors.
I currently use a 46" 3D Samsung TV. One of the cheaper ones, I've not been able to play any games at 1080p in 3D, I always assumed that was the TV and not the old graphics card I had.

Do you think that a 670 is worth just about twice the price a 660 is?
660's here are coming in at £185 while 670's come in at £300

Some brand are more expensive than other.
Don't know where do you live but here ASUS and EVGA would be top price, MSI and Gigabyte would be a bit cheaper, Zotag would be cheapest.

You have no need for SLI/CFx at that res, note. Personally, I would get a 7950. Its as fast as a 670, more vram, and costs less in the states.

Well.. if you go CFx, NOT the Asus. Single card be damned, I'd choose any really. Asus, giga, msi, sapphire.. all solid.

Ok, so ASUS is off the board, thanks EarthDog.

ASUS ROG, I have two questions.
The first being about the card, do you rate that one the best card of the 7950 series there?
I'm not concerned with the games, I've already bought and completed Tomb Raider (Awesome game) and probably won't play Bioshock Infinite until I complete number 2.

Also, the PSU you suggested. It's really expensive, coming in at £140.
Would one of the gaming series PSU's by suffice? They are cheaper by £50...
Here is the page containing all the PSU's by Corsair.
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupplies/corsair/

My apologies for asking so many questions, but I am very grateful :)

Xfx I wouldn't put at the top of my list. I believe those cards are voltage locked... Hard to ID these days though. I don't think the msi is.

As far as power supply, if you want 2 cards you can use gs600.

The GS800 is only an extra £15, and at £85, that is still £55 cheaper than the one you first suggested. Which is ideal :)

I'm confused when it comes to the card. I know I'm going to get a 7950, I've already read it overclocks almost to the level of a 7970.
As far as I can see, the best 3 makes, not including the ASUS, are the XFX, MSI and Sapphire. I know you already said the XFX is your choice, but is it still if it is voltage locked? And will that make a major noticeable difference in the overclocking process?

If I'm getting on your nerves, feel free to ask me to shut up for a while, no harm done lol.

That is my maximum budget, I wouldn't like to actually hit that mark.
If I was told that spending $2200 would give me the difference of 3 years jump on the market, or a major difference in performance, I would spend that much. But from what I've seen on here, on YouTube and read about the place.
Pretty much everyone isn't using anything better than a 7950, or a GTX 680. Since I'm only playing at 1920x1080, I wouldn't really need it, nor would I see much of a difference.
If it's a case of an extra 5fps for £80, I don't think that is worth it...

But yea, that is why I put my max was $2200, and my comfort zone would be $1500. My apologies, I should of been clear at the start of my post.

Yea, I absolutely love that game. But I was constantly being killed due to FPS drops. It was a bloody nightmare. I couldn't hold more than a steady 25fps, even in unpopulated areas.

Oh man... That is intriguing... Do you think an overclocked 7950 would handle it maxed out?

Also, what empire did you join? Freedom fighter myself. New Conglomerate.

SWEET! On the GPU.

I play games in realistic ways, if I lose the realism, I stop playing...
So I play games, choosing what I would actually choose in real life and I'm struggling with not moving over to the Vanu. As much as I like freedom, I agree with the Vanu on many points...

Aren't the Sniper Rifles held by the New Conglomerate better though? I love sniping...
What are the US servers like? I play on the EU ones, while there are a lot of people, playing usually, no one really ever talks...

That sounds pretty awesome. I may have to come over there once I have my new Pc.

I'm getting off topic.

While my question still holds on the GPU for EarthDog "I'm confused when it comes to the card. I know I'm going to get a 7950, I've already read it overclocks almost to the level of a 7970.
As far as I can see, the best 3 makes, not including the ASUS, are the XFX, MSI and Sapphire. I know you already said the XFX is your choice, but is it still if it is voltage locked? And will that make a major noticeable difference in the overclocking process?"

I know Ram is Ram, but is there a specific type anyone suggests?
I also know nothing about Water Cooling Systems, what should I be reading or what do you all suggest?
I'm also looking for a Case and a SSD then I'm done and can order.

A quick revision of everything that has been chosen so far.
Processor: i5 3750k 3.4GHz
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Intel Z77
Graphics Card: XFX AMD Radeon HD 7950 Double D Black Edition 3GB GDDR5
Power Supply: Corsair Gaming Series GS800 - 800 Watt 80 PLUS 2013

GPU may change, depending on EarthDogs reply.

Back