• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to folding: Some questions/issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
I'm folding on 3 different machines, username godman114 and obviously Team32. They are all dual-core machines with WinXP Pro SP3. No, I'm not changing the O/S so please never mention that. I'm very happy with XP.

Here are my machines:
  1. My HTPC - 3.0GB DDR2-800 (512mb shared video), AM2 BE-2350 @ 2.8ghz brisbane @ stock volts/cooling (I wonder if I should upgrade the cooling since I'm running it 100% 24/7)
  2. My Home Server - 2.0GB DDR2-800, AM2 4000+ X2 2.1ghz stock brisbane (maybe I'll OC it someday)
  3. My Gaming/Main PC - 2.0GB DDR3-1600, Intel Core2 4.0ghz watercooled E8500 E0 @ ~1.35v

Now with that said, I installed the systray version and I love how easy it is to use. Problem is systray runs on one core, so what I did was copy the FAH folder in program files and pasted it somewhere else, renamed the folders to Folding2@home and Folding2@home-x86. Then I renamed the 2 application files (exe files) to [email protected] and viewer2.exe, so that I can tell them apart in task manager.

I then made shortcuts to [email protected] and [email protected] and put them in the startup folder for windows, so that they should automatically start when I turn on the machines.

Few concerns/questions:
  1. Do I have to use a different machine ID on every single machine, or is that just for each machine? For example, can I do machine ID 1 and ID 2 for each core on each machine, or do I have to do ID1 and ID2 for the first PC, then ID3 and ID4 for the 2nd PC, and ID5 and ID6 on the 3rd PC??
  2. Kaspersky is awesome but I can't stand how annoying it is. I have it on my MAIN/Gaming machine (see specs above) and I thought I got to the bottom of the issue with Kaspersky. It kept putting FAH to sleep!! Anyway, I almost want to get rid of Kasp b/c of all the problems and I can't seem to understand it too well, but I thought I fixed it last night b/c FAH started working again. What I did was add FAH and FAH2 to the exclusions (I really hate how Kasp will warn you that something was blocked and when you hit to see the report it doesn't let you UNDO the blocking)... anyway, today (and right now) I get on the machine to see both FAH systrays are on (and not sleeping) but my CPU usage is at 0%!!!!!!!! What should I do? I saw in the log file this here (just copied the bottom-most part):
    [19:56:20] + Attempting to get work packet
    [19:56:20] - Connecting to assignment server
    [19:56:21] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.139).
    [19:56:21] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [19:56:21] Loaded queue successfully.
    [19:56:21] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
    [19:56:21] + Could not connect to Work Server
    [19:56:21] - Attempt #8 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.
    Is it Kasperksy messing it up again? I just tried PAUSING the protection and closing the systrays and re-running it... to no avail.
  3. Is it stupid to run the systray twice the way I did? Is there anything else I should be doing?
  4. Can I fold with onboard video or is that dumb to even ask?
  5. Can I fold with an HD4870/4890? I'm sure these questions are answered somewhere but I really don't have the time or patience to read everything. Yes, I'm feeling lazy as usual.
  6. Should I make a password? I'm just connecting as godman114 and team32...

Last edited:
i'll try and help out the best i can here, mostly because I like to lord my knowledge onto you :D

1. machine id's are for using more than 1 core on a single computer, you can use the same machine ID on the HTPC as the server.
2. did you set exceptions in kapersky for F@H all of the different .exe's? that could be it, and it could just be that it's looking for projects, it sometimes take 5 or 6 retrys for me.
3. try and run the console only version and install as a service, or even the SMP clients.
4. Im unsure about onboard video, however it may be possible on newer higher end onboard gpus
5. yes you can fold on the 4870/90, on my 4850 i get about 3k PPD, however, i dont know about having 2 in 1 system running for ATi, as ive tried and got nothing but problems.
6. there is really no need, if someone else wants to fold for you, i say let them.

i'll try and help out the best i can here, mostly because I like to lord my knowledge onto you :D

1. machine id's are for using more than 1 core on a single computer, you can use the same machine ID on the HTPC as the server.
2. did you set exceptions in kapersky for F@H all of the different .exe's? that could be it, and it could just be that it's looking for projects, it sometimes take 5 or 6 retrys for me.
3. try and run the console only version and install as a service, or even the SMP clients.
4. Im unsure about onboard video, however it may be possible on newer higher end onboard gpus
5. yes you can fold on the 4870/90, on my 4850 i get about 3k PPD, however, i dont know about having 2 in 1 system running for ATi, as ive tried and got nothing but problems.
6. there is really no need, if someone else wants to fold for you, i say let them.

AWESOME!! Thanks for following my list and answering it that way. :) That really helps.

What other EXEs should I add to the exclusion list? I have FahCore_7c.exe, FahCore_78.exe and FahCore_a0.exe in C:\Documents and Settings\Garo\Application Data\Folding@home-x86.
Does it make newer EXEs and always change the last 2 characters? If so, that means I'll have to exclude that entire directory from Kaspersky I guess... I don't want a virus getting into that directory, being excluded and then owning my machine!! =/ Or am I just being paranoid. :D

*Edit*
Just excluded the directory in "application data>fah" (not word for word you get what i mean) and still CPU usage 0%.
When I go to the log file, and I scroll all the way to the bottom it's got me on UTC time at 20:39 lol... can I fix that? :) Anyway, it's still not conneting to the server.

Last edited:
AWESOME!! Thanks for following my list and answering it that way. :) That really helps.

What other EXEs should I add to the exclusion list? I have FahCore_7c.exe, FahCore_78.exe and FahCore_a0.exe in C:\Documents and Settings\Garo\Application Data\Folding@home-x86.
Does it make newer EXEs and always change the last 2 characters? If so, that means I'll have to exclude that entire directory from Kaspersky I guess... I don't want a virus getting into that directory, being excluded and then owning my machine!! =/ Or am I just being paranoid. :D

*Edit*
Just excluded the directory in "application data>fah" (not word for word you get what i mean) and still CPU usage 0%.
When I go to the log file, and I scroll all the way to the bottom it's got me on UTC time at 20:39 lol... can I fix that? :) Anyway, it's still not conneting to the server.

Those are the core names, and that's not what you want. Only the client does the communicating, not the cores. Your firewall exclusion table (On XP it's in Start >> Control Panel >> System Security >> Firewall and click on the Exceptions Tab

The names you need are:

mpiexec
smpd
fah6.exe (if you renamed the fah client as per the recommendation of Stanford)

Save that, and you'll be good to go through the WindowsXP firewall. While you're in there, click the box that tells the firewall to alert you if it blocks a communication attempt. Always helpful.

The video has to be CUDA or Stream enabled, and on-board video is not (so far). So no, you can't fold with on-board video.

Kapersky is not putting FAH to sleep. You have your "green" power-saving features still enabled in your BIOS, and possibly in your WindowsXP.

For WindowsXP they are found in: Sltart >> Control Panel >> Display and click on the "Screensaver" tab. Set your screensaver to come on "Never". Then click on the lower "Power" button.

Turn off monitor:
Turn off HD
Turn off System

Set your monitor to shut off as you like, but set HD and system, to "Never".

Every BIOS is different, so you'll have to sort that out, but look for power saving or green, features, and shut them off. Remember to write down what you change, just in case.

I've never used a password, but if you want one, get one. No harm, no foul.

Edit: I see you've changed your FAH filenames, so every FAH client filename will need to be added to your exception list for the firewall.

Last edited:
Those are the core names, and that's not what you want. Only the client does the communicating, not the cores. Your firewall exclusion table (On XP it's in Start >> Control Panel >> System Security >> Firewall and click on the Exceptions Tab

The names you need are:

mpiexec
smpd
fah6.exe (if you renamed the fah client as per the recommendation of Stanford)

Save that, and you'll be good to go through the WindowsXP firewall. While you're in there, click the box that tells the firewall to alert you if it blocks a communication attempt. Always helpful.
Windows firewall is disabled. I always disable it when I use Kaspersky.
The video has to be CUDA or Stream enabled, and on-board video is not (so far). So no, you can't fold with on-board video.
Okay, just curious. Thank for the answer. :)
Kapersky is not putting FAH to sleep. You have your "green" power-saving features still enabled in your BIOS, and possibly in your WindowsXP.

For WindowsXP they are found in: Sltart >> Control Panel >> Display and click on the "Screensaver" tab. Set your screensaver to come on "Never". Then click on the lower "Power" button.

Turn off monitor:
Turn off HD
Turn off System

Set your monitor to shut off as you like, but set HD and system, to "Never".

Every BIOS is different, so you'll have to sort that out, but look for power saving or green, features, and shut them off. Remember to write down what you change, just in case.
I'll just turn off the screen saver. I always have HDD and whatnot to "never", but didn't know the screensaver could mess things up.
I've never used a password, but if you want one, get one. No harm, no foul.

Edit: I see you've changed your FAH filenames, so every FAH client filename will need to be added to your exception list for the firewall.

I just added the FAH folders in program files to the exclusion... that's not enough?

I am good to go on everything and still this isn't working... :( Will have to check back later cuz I gotta jet... helping my brother pick up a mattress at Costco (they have the Sealy for like $500 after coupon!!) I bought that same bed for like $800 cash over a yr ago. Anyway, I'll hopefully check back later if not tomorrow afternoon/evening. THANKS!

At least I can still fold on the other 2 machines right now. :)

I just added the FAH folders in program files to the exclusion... that's not enough?
LOL, Yeah! That's enough!! :D :D

If you're still unable to communicate, copy and paste your client.cfg file for the affected system, please, and also the first 100 lines of a new start in your fahlog.txt file.

Is Kapersky set to tell you whenever it blocks a file from communicating? Please set it up that way, if it isn't already.

LOL, Yeah! That's enough!! :D :D

If you're still unable to communicate, copy and paste your client.cfg file for the affected system, please, and also the first 100 lines of a new start in your fahlog.txt file.

Is Kapersky set to tell you whenever it blocks a file from communicating? Please set it up that way, if it isn't already.

Still can't get it to work, but still messing w/Kaspersky... it's gotta be that.

I wish there was some "global exception" list. I can't tell if I have to exclude in system security, proactive defense, and such... not sure which it gets blocked in.

[*]Can I fold with onboard video or is that dumb to even ask?

It depends. Here is a list of all Nvidia GPU's that have the CUDA support needed for F@H, there are a lot of integrated and mobile chips that are supported.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html

The only information I could find on ATI support was this

To run the CAL/Brook+ SDK, you need a platform based on the AMD R600 GPU or later. R600 and newer GPUs are found with ATI Radeontm HD2400, HD2600, HD2900 and HD3800 graphics board.

So I guess if your chipset is based on the R600 or better than you can run F@H.

The only real problem I see is that you may not make the deadlines for the GPU client if the GPU isn't fast enough. I assume you are asking because you have a mother board with an integrated GPU already, so I say if they fall within the supported types then give it a shot and see if it makes the deadline.

Still can't get it to work, but still messing w/Kaspersky... it's gotta be that.

I wish there was some "global exception" list. I can't tell if I have to exclude in system security, proactive defense, and such... not sure which it gets blocked in.

Simple test of it would be to turn off your Kapersky for a minute, and start the FAH client. First thing it will do is contact Stanford for work. You'll know if Kapersky is the problem in 15 seconds, max.

Don't forget to turn Kapersky back on after you get the WU, though! :soda:

Alright, so I was really busy this weekend and just got home about an hour ago.

I turned on my machine maybe a half hour or so ago and the damn thing is folding again. It's in my STARTUP folder, so it fired up 2 systray clients by itself.

Hmmm.... if it screws up again I'll try to figure out why again, but right now I could care less... :)
Thanks all for your help. Will check back here in case I have more questions or run into more problems. My next move is to fold with my 4870/4890, but I'm not 100% sure if I will just yet. I've no job so folding on 2 machines is already going to raise my electric bill. I told my gf I was doing it and so far she's cool w/it. Obviously, we split the bills. :)

Back