• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OC - where to start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
!!! Looking good !!! :thup:

Glad to see the new BIOS is working out well. Don't sweat the cpuNB thing, all of us were a little confused when we first started OC'ing - and most of us had fewer settings to deal with ... ;)

!!! Looking good !!! :thup:

Glad to see the new BIOS is working out well. Don't sweat the cpuNB thing, all of us were a little confused when we first started OC'ing - and most of us had fewer settings to deal with ... ;)

Thanks Q.I. !

ran OCCT CPU for 2 hours last night at 3.8 seems solid.

question : do I need to bump the NB multiplier above 12 now ? or not

is there some math behind this ? now I'm over the fear factor I'm keen to learn the science behind it so I can "tweak" it a little

and lastly any benefit now to changing these ?

HTRef (CPU frequency): 200 MHz

HT Link multiplier: 10X

--------------

I'm at work today so gonna spend some quality time looking at RAM OC.

any links that are relevant reading material for DDR3 ?

Thanks again

Once you're past the 3.8 GHz mark it's all speculation - different things work for different combinations of hardware. If you can run a higher cpuNB then I'd do it because it increases performance. Both the L3 cache and the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) run at cpuNB speeds. Have you read through Dolk's Phenom II thread?

The jury is still out on the HT Link v the X6. There's no performance reason to change it, unless maybe you were running 5870's in Crossfire, but it's possible a higher HT Link could provide stability at higher clocks. Again, this is speculation - the CPU is still "new" so no overall behavior has emerged yet.

The HTRef is simply one more tool you might want to use in the future. For example, at 200 MHz your RAM speed is limited to 1066/1333/1600 but with the HTRef you can hit those in-between speeds or push above 1600. You can also make those in-between-200-speeds for the HT Link and cpuNB. Having a high HTRef by itself does nothing but it can be used in combination with those multipliers to get to speeds you can't run with a 200 MHz clock ... :)

Unfortunatly my Guide was created on a DDR2 Board. It will apply to DDR3, but here are a couple suggestions I've found out with the Thuban.

Keep the timings tight. Since you have Cas 6 Doms, keep them at Cas 6 with a high RAM frequency.

hit 4ghz tonight.. stopping for now as that seems a good stable speed

200 x 20 multi 1.425v cPU 1.2v HT

posted in the RAM forums to start on the DDR3 .. feel free to pick on me some more .. I'm a n00b I deserve it :)

I'll necro this thread at some point and increase the clock once I know more about things

Thanks again for the Amazing help ... QuietIce and Dolk and etc. you guys are awesome !

hit 4ghz tonight.. stopping for now as that seems a good stable speed

200 x 20 multi 1.425v cPU 1.2v HT

Could you please post up the rest of your settings used to get to 4ghz? I'm in a similar sort of boat to where you were and have found this thread invaluable. Got a 890FXA-UD5 and 1090t but having trouble reaching 4ghz (currently stable at 3.8ghz) and could use some help myself.

What were the rest of the voltages and settings used? Did you use 10x HT link or turbo?

(the images you posted don't seem to be working for me)

Thanks in advance!

All images are working for me as well. Can you see the image in post #12??? That image is hosted by Overclockers.com instead of Photobucket so if you can't see it something in your computer settings is blocking images ...

Yeah I can see the images now, thanks. I was at work at the time too - must have been the sonic wall blocking them :p

Yeah I can see the images now, thanks. I was at work at the time too - must have been the sonic wall blocking them :p

no worries .. let us know how you get on .. I'm gonna puch mine some more past 4Ghz tonight .. the missus lets me have wednesdays to play ! :chair:

I'll be lowering the multi to 17 and increasing HT to 220Mhz

trying to match my RAM into the over all system OC .. hope it works

My Thanks to QuietIce

I followed your instructions and they worked great. I got my AMD 1090T to 4 GHZ very quickly and the 2 hour stress test topped out at 45 degrees C. Your instructions were perfect for my GA-890FXA-UD5 motherboard and easy to follow.

Thanks for your expert advice and help!

I followed your instructions and they worked great. I got my AMD 1090T to 4 GHZ very quickly and the 2 hour stress test topped out at 45 degrees C. Your instructions were perfect for my GA-890FXA-UD5 motherboard and easy to follow.

Thanks for your expert advice and help!
Looks like you got great results with really good temps! :thup:

As a part of collecting data on these CPU's would you please post your overclocking results in this thread? Thanks! :)

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642015

My New Computer Build

I have posted my data and I thought you might like to see some photos. Thanks again QuietIce for your input and great insight into over clocking. Please look at my data and make any suggestions you might have to further improve performance. I have not really tweeked the memory, GPU, and NB very much and I am sure that there is a lot left I can do to get even better results.

Attachments

• Side cover off.jpg
    Side cover off.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 264
  • Power Wiring.jpg
    Power Wiring.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 263
  • Cooling system with dual fans.jpg
    Cooling system with dual fans.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 262
  • drive wire routing.jpg
    drive wire routing.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 262
  • Side view with cover on.jpg
    Side view with cover on.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 262
I have posted my data and I thought you might like to see some photos. Thanks again QuietIce for your input and great insight into over clocking. Please look at my data and make any suggestions you might have to further improve performance. I have not really tweeked the memory, GPU, and NB very much and I am sure that there is a lot left I can do to get even better results.
You really should start your own thread and, since you're already registered here, it's quite easy. Just go here or here and click the "New Thread" button on your right. ;)

Pics look good but the case manufacturers make it WAY too easy to do wire management now. :p

I would gladly look at your settings but I don't see any ...???

Here is the data I posted in the AMD forum

Data from my build

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Model............: Phenom II X6 1090T
CPU Speed............: 4027MHz
CPU Revision.........: Not Shown in CPUZ
CPU NB Speed.........: 2200MHz
CPU Vcore............: 1.4750v
CPU Multi............: 20
HT Link Speed........: X10 2000MHz
RAM Configuration....: 4x 2GB
RAM Speed............: 1600MHz
RAM Timing...........: 9-9-9-24
RAM Vdimm............: 1.65
MB Chipset...........: 890
MB Socket............: AM3
CPU Cooling..........: Corsair H50 with Push/Pull dual fans
Temp.................: 18 C idle and 45 C after 2 hour Stress at 100%
Amb. Temp............: 22C
OS...................: 7 Home Premium
32bit/64bit..........: 64bit
Stable…………………………………… : Very Stable

----------------------------------------------------
My Computer Build:
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case
ULTRA X4 750W POWER SUPPLY MODULAR
Corsair 8GB DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz (4x2GB) Class 9
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB TOXIC Ed. DDR5 PCIe
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2Ghz CPU
Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 AMD 890FX Socket AM3 MB
Corsair Hydro H50 CPU Liquid Cooler
Seagate 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G
ASUS 24X DVDRW SATA OEM 2 installed
Seagate 2 TB Serial ATA HD 2 installed and 2 more ready to be installed
LOGISYS Computer CLK12BL2 12" DUAL COLD CATHODE KIT - OEM

Northbridge setup

My Northbridge is set at 1.1500 V.

You hurt my feelings when you said that the new cases really let you improve your wiring. It doesn't mean that most n00bs do it or understand what the effect can be on air flow in a case and its cooling effect. (just kidding) I was proud of how this turned out.

I didn't start a new thread as I didn't know if you you would see my thank you for your help in any other post location.

Back