• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OC - where to start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cpuNB (not the NB chipset) should be running 1.175-1.250v (that's for the X4 and I think we're all assuming it's the same for the X6). If you make sure it's the cpuNB voltage (sometimes labeled with VID or VDD) you can raise it to 1.20v and you should be able to increase your cpuNB speed up to that 22-2400 MHz.

I wasn't dissing what you did with cable management - not at all - I just saw all those nice, neat holes in the backplate and "fondly" recalled the taping/zip-ties, routing, and hole drilling I did with my first big build. And you're very right, a LOT of new people just sort of let the cables run where they fall, so-to-speak. You did do a good job not only routing the cables but having the forethought to buy the right case to begin with ... :)

NBvid

Votage at 1.2 V. I just didn't raise the clock speed any higher. I guess that would help the memory operation and FSB speeds and PCIe function.

I am just building toys. I am a retired CEO and former Engineering VP with the need to do something to keep my mind active. Still young, (retired early) at least in heart and a real computer geek. I have 10 computers and 3 servers in my home. Thank God my wife is patient with me!

CPU Voltage

By the way, my CPU volatge is set at normal and ramps from 4X to 20X as the need arises. The max at Normal is 1.4750 V but I could override it.

custom water cooling

You know I was going to but I wanted to try the H50 first. I felt that it was getting a bad rap. I am running at 45 C at 100% for 2 hours. I can even go up to 4.2285 GHZ at 45 C. I don't know whether it is worth the effort other than looks for the extra time and money.

I don't like that the coolers don't have a flowmeter to monitor their performance and if I do something else I will install someting really unique.

The only reason I went custom water was I had a bit of a windfall and decided to treat myself to

a) a new rig with the best of current breed kit to satisfy my own purposes

b) a minor engineering project to keep me occupied with something other than gaming for a change

the results were satisfactory considering my lack of initial experience, to be frank it was a real thrill making some of the parts fit and work.

The only thing I miss is having access to the machine shop + tools .. the one joy I had in the military was free access to unlimited resources as long as I provided the raw materials ... don't miss trying to bend copper tubes though .. or welding fibreglass ! :p

if Time is on your hands then go custom, take time and enjoy the time spent. then you have a reasonably high platform to jump into the world of overclocking ...

bringing us back on topic .. I still haven't had the time to change from a CPU multi only OC to a full board + RAM HTL OC.. Dolk and QI, I'll be picking your brains again soon.

Aiming for 4.5Ghz on water for 24/7 use (stable / safe ?) whilst bringing the RAM up the full potential within safe parameters and see where we get to,

GL
OCD

You're like me, always looking for something to keep you challenged. Keep me advised of your progress of going to 4.5 GHz.

At 4.2 I had a hardware notice but I only had the voltage set at 1.475 for the CPU. I also haven't changed many of the clock speeds for the buses to allow them to keep up with a faster working CPU.

Back