• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to overclocking and need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dunning3075

Registered
So I am ready to talk about attempting to overclock my cpu. I have a new gpu(hd6850) and psu (cx600) comming on the 22nd. I have absolutely no experiance with this so will need all of the help I can get. I beleive this is what you guys need to advise me.

Attachments

• athalon 2 before oc.PNG
    athalon 2 before oc.PNG
    18.2 KB · Views: 28
  • before oc2.PNG
    before oc2.PNG
    15.5 KB · Views: 71
  • beforeoc5.PNG
    beforeoc5.PNG
    15.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    38.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Welcome, dunning3075! Great to have you on OC Forums.

Thanks for the CPU-z pics. Generally, we only need three tabs: CPU-z, Memory and SPD as long as your "Sig" contains most of the general hardware information. More on the Sig below.

Just so you'll know, we'd prefer full size attached images to thumbnails. There is a built in forum tool to attach images but first crop and and save them to disc using the Windows screen capture or better yet, Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories if you have Vista or Win 7. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window and when the Advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip icon at the top. This will load the file browser/upload tool and the rest is obvious.

You have access to the Sig tool within about one hour of making your second post. Go to Quick Links at the top of the page and click on Edit Signature. You can use my Sig as a guide for the kind of info we like to see if you wish. If you don't have access next time you try it, wait awhile and try again.

Also, if you have not done so, download HWMonitor and Prime95. You already have CPU-z.

That Regor core CPU should overclock well as they run quite cool. When you get the software tools in place we'll get it on with that.

ok will do. I went ahead and included my new memory,psu and gpu in my signature since they will be here wed. so if you notice only 2gb memory in the pic or hd4350 that is why.

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice pics!

First, turn off Cool N Quiet and C1E in bios and then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. This will turn off all the "green" power-saving, down-throttling stuff that is evident in the CPU-z "CPU" tab. As you can see, at idle your CPU core frequency and voltage are much less than you would expect. The "green" stuff also messes with stability in the higher overclock ranges.

And oh, you forgot to attach one of the CPU-z tab pics I requested. We also need the "Memory" tab to look at since that is the one that will give infor about your current ram frequency and timings. The SPD tab gives manufacturer information about recommended voltages and timings for your ram but the memory tab gives what they currently are set to.

Back