• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkSn

Registered
Hello everyone.

Since I have only stock cooling, is OC worth trying?
But, isn't OC worth it if even then just some instead of a lot?
I do not know what utility to use for my AMD CPU.
I know so little about this, and would like to learn. Is my CPU core speed very slow?

Can anyone get me started? I'd love to OC for gaming (StarCraft2), as my GPU is great but system still needs a little extra nudge as I can feel it lag sometimes.

THank You

382135_10151981068002662_990452418_n.jpg

while you can Overclock your cpu without much issue, the thing you have to think about is something you already mentioned: the stock cooling solution. The stock HSF is fine for running the CPU at stock speeds. However, if you truly want to overclock, that is the first thing that I would change. Upgrade the cooling to a good aftermarket cooler (they don't have to be expensive, one of the best on the market, the Hyper 212+, is only about $35 or so I believe). I would also clean off the stock TIM (thermal interface material - the gunk helping 'seal' the connection between the heat spreader and the base of the heat sink) and replace it with some good aftermarket TIM that is rated for better heat transfer. Again, not very expensive, and 1 tube will last you many applications.

while you can Overclock your cpu without much issue, the thing you have to think about is something you already mentioned: the stock cooling solution. The stock HSF is fine for running the CPU at stock speeds. However, if you truly want to overclock, that is the first thing that I would change. Upgrade the cooling to a good aftermarket cooler (they don't have to be expensive, one of the best on the market, the Hyper 212+, is only about $35 or so I believe). I would also clean off the stock TIM (thermal interface material - the gunk helping 'seal' the connection between the heat spreader and the base of the heat sink) and replace it with some good aftermarket TIM that is rated for better heat transfer. Again, not very expensive, and 1 tube will last you many applications.

THF, thanks for response. I would be happy with a mere 15% increase of Core MHZ. I need to learn the basics of voltages and core speed increase and all that. Could you link me to a tutorial on basics of OC for this?

Please add a pic of the CPU-z tab: "Memory" to your trilogy in post #1. The other thing you really need to do is check temps of the cores and the CPU socket under full load. That will give an idea of there is any room to overclock with your present cooler. We know from experience what the maximum temps (within a range) that the cores and CPU socket can tolerate before heat-related stability typically sets in with AMD CPUs. So what we need you to do is to download two programs: Prime95 and HWMonitor. Have HWMonitor open on the desktop and then run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. At the end of the test, post back and attach a pic of the HWMonitor interface.

OK, getting those programs now.

I'm still trying to get Prime95 to work because for some reason my system keeps crashing while
running.

Do you recommend a site to download Prime95, I got an annoying virus (snap.on) from it and there are so many add-on programs
that come with it. I am looking for just the Prime95 raw program (and do I need the 64-bit version)?

Last edited:
155474_10151986606707662_323480847_n.jpg

Hey again.
I just updated my RAM to 8 MB despite this picture.

I ran Prime95 like you suggested and the temperature at about the 15 minute mark was at 149 degrees Fahrenheit, and then the computer restarted without warning.

I wanted to tell you that what I'm wanting is not a dramatic CPU speed increase (if even my comp is capable at ALL of OC). I see that my Core #0 Clock Speed is 800MHZ. Would 1600MHZ work with this machine? Isn't 800 mHZ pretty slow, and just any increase of 200+ even might make a difference as my machine is running StarCraft 2 very well, but I can feel that the machine is not on a whole working cooperatively - - my video card is fast (Geforce GTS 250), and/or my cpu/mobo are not so fast.

Last edited:
8350 and sabertooth

Hello everyone....I just installed the 8350 in my 990fx sabertooth from asus and wanted to try some over clocking but i have no idea...Can someone give me some bios settings to get started..thought i would go to like 4.6 or more......I have a H80 water cooler installed.....
thanks
Rob

Hello everyone....I just installed the 8350 in my 990fx sabertooth from asus and wanted to try some over clocking but i have no idea...Can someone give me some bios settings to get started..thought i would go to like 4.6 or more......I have a H80 water cooler installed.....
thanks
Rob

Hey Rob,

I Just started posting in this site too. I don't know if you realized it but you posted your thread in mine. :) haha

Ok, I'm a bit new at this platform, but is your multi set at x4 ?? I think the default multi on that chip is x15.5.

If this is your board http://www.manualowl.com/m/Biostar/N68S3B/Manual/271149 then you may have limited options to overclock, but I still don't get why you're at a x4 multi.

If you have an option in BIOS to restore defaults, do it. Do not understand why you are at a x4 multi.

edit- It could be that your settings are the 'fail-safe' defaults. Unlikely, but I honestly don't know. A comp will sometimes revert to these if there's an abnormal shutdown. Too much heat is one of *many* reasons that can cause this. Anyway, don't use these. If you have an option to just 'restore to default' or some such, do that. Then post a screenshot of CPU-Z.

(Another edit-You said you are new to this. So hold down the DEL key next time while the computer boots up. You'll get to a blue or grey screen. If you don't know what any of it means don't change anything. Hit F10, it'll ask you if you want to exit without saving. Hit Y and then Enter. I'm not trying to be patronizing , I just don't know where you're at.)

We'll walk you through it.

And :welcome: to the forums.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm a bit new at this platform, but is your multi set at x4 ?? I think the default multi on that chip is x15.5.

If this is your board: http://www.manualowl.com/m/Biostar/N68S3B/Manual/271149 then you may have limited options to overclock, but I still don't get why you're at a x4 multi.

If you have an option in BIOS to restore defaults, do it. Do not understand why you are at a x4 multi.

edit- It could be that your settings are the 'fail-safe' defaults. Unlikely, but I honestly don't know. A comp will sometimes revert to these if there's an abnormal shutdown. Too much heat is one of *many* reasons that can cause this. Anyway, don't use these. If you have an option to just 'restore to default' or some such, do that. Then post a screenshot of CPU-Z.

(Another edit-You said you are new to this. So hold down the DEL key next time while the computer boots up. You'll get to a blue or grey screen. If you don't know what any of it means don't change anything. Hit F10, it'll ask you if you want to exit without saving. Hit Y and then Enter.)

We'll walk you through it.

And :welcome: to the forums.

Hi FlailBoy,

Great, thanks for helping, I hope that even the "limited" options I have will still give my computer a moderate CPU boost as it needs a little boost, I can feel it when I use the computer, especially the web.

Yes, the default is x15.5, I've seen that after crashes - when the comp goes back to default.

I'll go into BIOS (I know BIOS fairly well I suppose). I'll restore defaults and then screenshoot CPU-Z again. Which tabs of CPU-Z? I'll assume to do CPU, MEMory, and the other which I will try and remember lol.

I don't know what multi- is. I will look for it here.

197831_10151986830167662_672980755_n.jpg

Flail, the 4x multiplier must have been a sort of synonym for value of 17.5, because now the CPU multiplier is 15.5 and NOT x4 as it was.

I know that you said that my setup is going to limited in terms of OC; would you say that my only option really just to change the multi to 17.5?

Flail, the 4x multiplier must have been a sort of synonym for value of 17.5, because now the CPU multiplier is 15.5 and NOT x4 as it was.

You just multiplied your CPU speed by about 3.8. LOL

Ok, play Starcraft II for a while. :attn:

Other posters have suggested you may have cooling issues and the retail cooler is really pretty crappy. Again, many things can cause a comp to crash/restart. Suggest you post as much info about your rig as possible and sig it: CPU, PSU (especially on a MATX), RAM, Vid Card, etc. Also suggest that when you start changing things, you change only one thing at a time.

edit-(beat me to it...)

Actually what I said is that you should play SC2 for a while. LOL

Seriously, don't make any changes until you/we can figure out why the comp is defaulting to fail-safe (which now *does* seem likely). PSU is a good guess, but not the only one.

Last edited:
Flail, I just played a game of Starcraft for 10 minutes and it runs well.

My comp reverted to defaults because of blue screens because I was OClocking without knowing what I'm doing . lol

That's why the comp was restarting. One time I had to pull the CMOS cap dealie to get the comp to restart because I fiddled too much in the BIOS. THe comp, to my recollection, has never restarted without my messing with it.

I'll go get my system specs.

Video Card: NVidia Geforce GTS 250 - 512 MB 256 bits

RAM: 8GB DDR3 Dual Channel DC Mode Ungauged
NB Frequency: 1607.3 MHz

Mainboard: BioStar N68S3B

Windows Ultimate 64-bit

Flail, I just played a game of Starcraft for 10 minutes and it runs well.

My comp reverted to defaults because of blue screens because I was OClocking without knowing what I'm doing . lol

That's why the comp was restarting. One time I had to pull the CMOS cap dealie to get the comp to restart because I fiddled too much in the BIOS. THe comp, to my recollection, has never restarted without my messing with it.

I'll go get my system specs.

We'll be here. :cool: And by 'limited options' I only meant that low-power CPUs, MOBOs (e.g. laptops, some MATX boards) are designed for low-power consumption so the BIOS options aren't as robust. Doesn't mean you can't do anything with it. If you are getting regular crashes/restarts, please also post the make and wattage of your PSU. We have some serious gurus out here that can tell you a lot more than I can.

Last edited:
PSU Stats:

Cooler Master
Extreme Power Plus 550W
ATX 550
RS-550-PCAR-E3
12V - v2.3

12V - 16A

PSU Stats:

Cooler Master
Extreme Power Plus 550W
ATX 550
RS-550-PCAR-E3
12V - v2.3

12V - 16A

Hmmm...

Not a particularly highly-rated PSU. 550w would typically be more than enough to run a single GPU and a Phenom, but not all PSUs are created equally. Still need to see your complete system specs; but once you get all of that info together, you may wish to also start a thread in our power supply subforum.

Your multiplier is so low because you have not disabled Cool N Quiet. Cool N Quiet lowers the multiplier and voltage of the CPU at idle but "releases" it under load. Generally, we tell would be overclockers to disable it because it makes it hard to tell what the multiplier is set to in bios and confuses those trying to help you - and also because it can cause instability in the higher overclock ranges. We also tell people to disable other "green" stuff in bios like C1E. Then you should go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it for High Performance.

After that the first thing you should do is to download and install Prime95 and HWMonitor. Open HWMonitor on the desktop and then run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes with all frequencies and voltages at stock levels. Immediately after running that stress test, attach a pic of the HWMonitor interface so we can look at temps and tell you if you have any room for overclocking from a temp standpoint.

With that CPU you can sometimes unlock one or two of the disabled cores but with the stock HSF it would probably not be advisable.

trents, I wasn't able to find Cool 'N Quiet in my BIos, nor C1E,

I did go into Power Options within Win7 Control Panel and set system for High Performance.

Are there settings while in Windows which will change what options are in BIOS? In other words, do I need to awaken Cool N Quiet within the BIOS?

SHouldn't it be in there?

Edit: OK, I just saw online that with Power Settings set to High Performance that CnQuiet will be disabled?

Last edited:
Back