• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Video Card (PCIe 2.0)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fcomstoc

Hello everyone, I have a quick question, I purchased a Dell Optiplex 780 yesterday just to mess around with. I need to get a video card for it, I want something that is decent for gaming, but it has to be compatible with a PCIe 2.0 slot (no PCIe 2.1 or 3.0) Does anyone have any recommendations (around $100 preferably)

Thanks in advance.

The PCIe specifications are all interchangeable, so there's no need to use that to filter your search.

I think the best new GPUs in that price range would be a HD7770 or GTX650. With the $100 budget, I would probably look at the used market first though.

What resolution will you be running?

I will be running one at 1920x1080 and a small second monitor at 1280x1024 I am not doing eyefinity on this one. I wasnt sure if PCIe was backwards compatible, I had some issues with that a while ago, I tired putting a 3.0 in a 2.1 and it didnt work (I guess it could have been a bad slot or something).

Yep, as Matt said... If you can find a HD 7770 for $100 that's pretty much the best you can get new. I doubt it will play the most recent games in 1920x1080 with anything but settings at low. Look at the classifieds for a used card. ;)

I will try it out, I am not expecting it to be great, I am just hoping that it will be better than my laptop.

We have one HD7770 review that shows it gets in the low 30s FPS in Batman: Arkham City and BF3 single player using maxed settings at 1080p. So, it should do pretty good with mid-range graphics settings, and will definitely be better than a laptop.

Unfortunately, we don't have any GTX650 reviews for comparison...

I have never owned any Nvidia cards, I have always gone ATI/AMD, I was thinking of trying one but I think that I will get the 7770 for this machine, the bottleneck is the 3.0 ghz Core 2 duo, and there is nothing I can do about that.

I was getting about 5-10 FPS in WoW on my MBP hooked up to my 1080p monitor, I suppose anything is better than that.

Folllw the Matt suggesgion : you can cet a very decent used gpu in the $100 range. Andost of the have a owner transferable 2/3 years warrantly.

I agree with the assessment, and I have found this to be true in the past. So I tried a 7790 that I got a great deal on - it doesn't fit due to the fact that Dell uses upside-down MBs and so there is only one slot available for PCIe. Also the card that I got was too long so it would not fit.
I got a refund and bought a GT 620 instead (Single slot and short). So the GPU is sorted. I am having many other issues now though - basically it wont boot from my SSD, I keep getting CPU Thermal errors and I think there is something going on with the RAM. I took the SSD out and I am trying it again later.

Back