• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb OC needs some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xanther

Newb OC needs some help( more help needed)

Hola, Im a new person to the forum and to OC in general. I put together a new computer recently using the ASUS P4C800- E deluxe, a Pentium 4 3.0c, 2 sticks of 512 Corsair DDR 3200C2PRO / XMS 3200 memory, and a new Zalman Heatsink fan combo CNSP7000A-Cu. I am using a Xaser III case with its stock 7 fan setup. My PSU is a Thermaltake Silent PurePower Butterfly 480 Watt.

I have tried using the onboard OC feature and from what I have read on these forums, its better to manually input in OC settings. I could use some help on what to try setting the bios at for a stable consistant OC speed. I dont need to push the computer to its limits and would just like to squeeze some stable performance out of this setup. Any help on what I should set the board to would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
well to do a manual OC go into the BIOS under Advanced menu under jumper settings set AI Overclock to manual then your FSB should be where it says 200...your divider which enables the memory to run insync & async with your CPU is label'd DDR Freq and that will be set to Auto you can set it to 400 which is 1:1 divider...lower you will see things like Vcore and DDR reference voltage thos ethings you can leave stock unless you have instability while your OC'in.....if you have Adobe Acrobat installed you can go to www.asus.com and get the PDF manual for your board and it will give you in details where and what EVERYTHING is on that board but you can skip str8 to the bios section...hope this helps

Update: and I have a new problem.

I noticed that by default the bios was setting the timing for my memory at 3-3-3-8 and disabling performance mode. I went to the corsair website and it listed the following settings for my XMSC2PRO as 2-3-3-6 with 8 burst. I went in and manually set those numbers and turned off the spread spectrum, turned off the legacy USB suppport and set the AGP freq to 66.66/33 ( as I have seen suggested for OC using this mobo). I turned on the performance mode on the memory. IF these settings are wrong, please post and let me know. I set the CPU voltage to 1.6, the vdimm to 2.85 and the AGP volt to 1.6.

I noticed after doing all this that I ran higher benchmarks than I did before, so I was happy. But when I try to go in and begin to OC the CPU more than even a tiny, tiny bit, I totally fail. I can get it to run with the CPU external clock set to 207 but any higher and the OC fails and I have to reboot the computer to get back to bios. It also does another thing which worried me. WHen the OC fails, the bios resets itself so that the date and time on it is changed back to an incorrect date, Jan 1 2001. It also enables the onboard sound and the RAID driver controller. I had those items turned off. Is it normal for the bios to do this when a OC fails?

Can anyone suggest what do to get the CPU to overclock and function? Id appreciate any help and list what voltages ect and other settings I should try with my P4 3.0c.

Last edited:
Your Bios is automatically reset to default settings by the Asus CPR function (cpu parameter recall) This is normal and is a good function that avoids opening the case and taking the battery out to reset everything.

When it happens, just go into bios and set things as you want them. As for the failing OC freq: I think that's due to the memory timings.. probably yr memory can't handle those timings at that freq.

Generally speaking, first set the slowest memory timings available, and see how high an fsb yr cpu can handle being stable (try going higher at 5 MHz intervals), than go back and see how tight you can set yr mem timings.

If you want the details, get CPU Z, and use the memory SPD tool. It prints the spd settings of yr memory to a txt file. In that file you can see what mininmum timings yr ram can handle at various speeds. This info is not 100% precise, each stick of mem has it's own limits.. depends a bit on yr luck :)

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

Ciao.

Back