• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newer motherboard time maybe, thinking smaller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Ok ok... so recently (3 months ago roughly) i got a ASRock Extreme6 motherboard with my i7 6700k CPU (see sig). All is fine an dandy with it, works wonderfully actually.

Though recently I've been thinking about getting a new case. First was a direct replacement with improved features, then thinking about getting rid of the optical drive in the case (going external) thanks to some good suggestions in another thread. Now thinking of the possible idea of even just going to a smaller case overall which would require a smaller motherboard.

That being said I really don't have much in my case currently, GPU, wifi card (which I can actually remove) and 2 ssd's. Nothing spectacular.
I really doubt I'll consider going dual cards again, was fun a while ago when I had it but really just having a single powerful card seems to be my liking these days.

Motherboard wise, still like nice features, though curious if I could still get wifi and or even bluetooth onboard would be a cool feature. Ability to utilize a m.2 Ultra ssd eventually. A few SSD's and USB 3.0 ports and overall good make up on the board for over clocking. My CPU doesn't overclock extremely well by any means, but it does average/above average and would like to keep it that way.

Motherboard maker, really guess opening it up this time just curious.

Last edited:
Well sounds like a mitx build would be right up your alley

Like I said in the other thread Phanteks makes an awesome mITX case

While it is big for an mITX case it does have some cooling and accessory advantages over the really small ones

Found the thread of a build I did for a guy a years or so ago

I can vouch for the board and your CPU and memory would drop right in

Forget if it had BT though ?

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/769391-Client-mITX-Gamer?highlight=Client+Build

Very nice build. Yeah it does have BT on it. M.2 SSD slot though is questionable with larger drives, but motherboard looks good, and the case actually is another one eyed up as well. Looks very nice.

yea the Phantek's cases are nice for just about any form factor

I will probably use one for my next build, but that is not going to happen until 10nm chips

I've been impressed with my Hadron Air. The big thing to watch is just that you can fit a full size GPU in.
Some use different PSU sizes than other cases also, watch to make sure it's ATX unless you want to change PSU's as well.

I'm waiting for Strix Z270I Gaming. It's ITX board with WiFi/BT, high frequency memory support, 2x M.2 slots / both PCIE with RAID etc. I don't think it's available yet but it will be soon. Other option can be MSI Z270I Gaming Pro which is ~$30 cheaper but has 1 M.2 slot. Everything else should be the same.
On the other hand high end ITX cases are not much smaller than mATX or mid tower ATX like Corsair 400C. I mean it will be smaller but at the end only by ~10cm while ITX boards are quite expensive comparing to mATX or full ATX.
I have my daily rig in Corsair 400C where I put 2x AIO ( just because I got for tests and later didn't want to sell it cheap ). I had ITX and mATX builds before but I just can't have the same rig for longer, it never works for me and I change too much. All of my rigs were taking similar space.
I wish something really small with space for graphics card on back of the motherboard and SFX PSU which is more than enough for good gaming rig while takes less space than a regular ATX. I don't think that anyone designed case like that. If I had more time and better access to required tools then I would make it myself but it won't happen soon.

Back