• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noctua D15 and newer models

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mousegolf

Registered
These are huge fans, especially the Noctua D15. They create a hurricane in your case, which is great! But..they are quiet as a mouse at 800-900 RPM/s. You can hear them wind-up a little when they reach 1000 to 1200 RPMS but it's nothing compared to the shrill high pitch sound of 120MM fans. The D15 model has two 250MM fans.

I have three Noctua case fans. One 120mm and two 240mm fans that are replacing the fans that came with my case. Rugged, quiet, sound dampened (rubber corner pads) and can be used any way you want to set them up inside your case. I have two setup to run off the case switch levels: low, medium and high and one connected the to the mobo.

I have no love for the LED RGB marketing and these fans do not have LED. I like Christmas lights once a year! :rofl:

Last edited:
I think big fans aren't the problem unless you're trying to push air through things like rads.

120mm are ideal for rads while 140mm might not have enough push (static pressure) or will need to be sped up to the point the audibles surpass your liking. I think the 120mm R/D has been done well and that's why they are pretty popular still and benched the most for custom water cooling.

As for just case and just air cooling in general, I think any fan will do well, of course that performs well under low audibles. Then again, to each their own I guess as some might like the 80mm/90mm screamers I used to use, long... long ago. (Gasp!)

I'm testing couple of Noctua coolers right now and all of them are great. It's just hard to say anything bad about them even if you really try. Even coolers with 92mm fans are quiet and I'm testing it on 12 core CPU.
Noctua is not releasing many products and as you can see, some coolers are on the market for long years. Sometimes get new mounting kit, sometimes new and improved fan.
There is no reason to replace already good products, especially when on the market is nothing better so coolers like D15 are in not much different form for couple of years.

Wait..what? 120mm = shrill and high pitch? 250mm fans on a D15???

Ive heard 40mm fans at 5k rpm+ be called shrill and high pitch...

D15 has 140mm fans.

I just ordered a Noctua D15s after using my Venomous X for going on 9 years now. Only reason is... they don't make a mounting bracket for the 2066. I am hoping for another 9 years of cooling with my Noctua.

I hope I have room to get to the components. :)

Back