• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not sure if my overclocking Phenom II X6 1055T is okay or not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

honam

Hi all, I am new to overclocking and this forum as well.. so hoping if I can get some help.
I did my overclocking for the first time today. I OC'ed my AMD Phenom II X6 1055T to 3.5GHz. The PC seems to be running fine so far, then I ran the Prime95 stress test, and my cpu temperature rises to around 57C!! During idle time it runs around 34C. So the question is do I have to worry about this and reverse back my overclocking or I should be fine?

My spec:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8 GHz (OC to 3.5 GHz now)
MB: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6950 2GB
RAM: Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz
Power: Antec TP550 watt
Using standard CPU cooler

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

The Tj.Max of your processor is 99 degrees (According to CoreTemp)
I guess it's fine. But you should consider getting an aftermarket cooler if you want to do some overclocking.

I don't think TJ Max is something you should rely on with AMD CPUs. It's more meaningful with Intels.

Honam, if you are able to get a stable Prime95 stable overclock of 3.5 ghz on on a 1055T using the stock cooler with temps only hitting 57c that is pretty remarkable. But by stable I mean passing a Prime95 blend run of at least 2 hrs. Most people get the temps you quote at stock frequencies and voltages. Have you increase the CPU core voltage any?

But I agree with avok95 that an aftermarket cooler would be a good investment. What make and model case are you using? Choice of coolers may be limited if the case is under 7.5" wide.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok I will need to run the stress test longer (2hrs) tomorrow. No, I have not tried to increase any voltage, should I?

All I did was change the following:
FSB: 250 MHz
Clockspeed: 3500 MHz (x14)
NB & HT: 2000 MHz (x8)
DRAM: 1332 MHz (x5.53)
RAM timing manual 9 9 9 24

Only increase your CPU core voltage when necessary to make the system stable again when overclocking. Increasing the CPU core voltage or what we call "vcore" drives up temps.

But I should have asked, with what software are you measuring temps? If you were using CoreTemp it would be reporting only the core temp which is not very reliable with the Thubans as generally their core temp sensors are poorly calibrated and tend to report core temps 10-15c too cool. If you use HWMonitor it will give both core and CPU socket temps so that you can compare and contrast both. HWMonitor is a free utility and I suggest downloading it and having it open on the desktop as you begin your Prime95 stress test.

We know from experience that with most AMD CPU families, once you begin to exceed core temps in the mid 50s c range (accurate readings, that is) you begin to encounter instability. And you probably don't want to exceed 70c on the socket temps for safety sake.

The rest of your frequencies look appropriate. One thing we would ask you to d is to make a "Sig" so that your system information (the parts details you included in post #1) travels with every post you make. To create a Sig, go to the top of the page and click on Quick Links and then Edit Signature. You will have access to that feature (supposedly) within an hour after your second post. If you try and you don't yet have access, please try again later.

Hi trents, again thanks for the response.

Yes I am using HWMonitor to check the temperature. I ran the stress test for 2 hours today, my computer does not encounter any issue, but the max cpu temperature goes up to 61C
Attached is my HWMonitor screenshot when the stress test happens.
Do you think with the current setup this is okay, do you reckon I need to buy another cooler? Which one will be a good buy, I am not too familiar with CPU cooler. My case is Lancool PC-K58 which is a mid tower size.

Attachments

• CPUID.png
    CPUID.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 341
The 61c temp is actually your core temp, not what we call the CPU temp. The CPU temp as most of us use the term around here and as it is implemented by most software reporting programs refers to the temp reported by a sensor in the motherboard socket area. The one exception to that convention I know of is the program "CoreTemp" which uses "CPU" temp to refer to core temp. Core temps are sampled not from the motherboard socket area but from the processor die itself and are to be preferred if they seem to be accurate. Your CPU temp would be found in one of the "TMPINx" lines in HWMonitor. When the program is unable to specifically identify the motherboard CPU socket temp sensor it gives it a generic label like that. As you can see, they are all quite high, being in the 80s. I would not overclock your system anymore as those temp are borderline dangerous. What is the ambient temp in the room where the computer is located? Do you live in a hot climate?

I would definitely advise you to buy a good aftermarket cooler. Your case is nice and wide so it will take the largest aftermarket coolers. No limitations in that respect but what country are you in? Availability and pricing of products varies tremendously from one part of the world to another. Perhaps the best approach would be for you to post back with some links to vendors you might use where you live. How many fans do you have installed in your case? Where are the fans located and please explain which ones are pushing air into the case and which ones are exhausting air from the case. Good case ventilation is essential to keeping temps down.

Oh, and please create a Sig as I requested back in post #6.

Hi Trent,

Quick q. What does TMPIN2 represent in the picture (80 Celcius all the way)

and I haven't got any readings on the core0 through core5 for temps any longer. I used to have them but they are all 0 celcius nowadays. Is it likely that I damaged the therm. reader by OCing?

I use the same 1055t btw.

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Deniz

We cannot say for sure which TMPINx line represents CPU socket temp. My guess in honan's case would be TMPIN1 since it's readings correspond most closely with the core temp readings across the spectrum from min to max.

You lost your core temp readings, Deniz, because you turned on core unlocking in bios. When you do that it interferes with the ability to report core temps. This is well known. If you do not have any cores to unlock you might as well turn that feature off. What processor are you running?

Honan, I would not use your computer intensely until you can get better cooling.

Hi Trent,

I live in Sydney Australia, attached below is the list of CPU cooler from the shop I normally go to, can you recommend me a good one?
I have created the sig too as per request.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 351
If your budget will allow it, go for the Noctua NH-D14. If you cannot afford that, go for the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO.

Thanks for the Sig. I must be off to work now.

Thanks trents,

I have been using AMD Phenom ii x6 1055t at 3.5ghz OCed and you are right I was playing with my bios and I have modified "unlocked enabled " for no obvious reason. It sounded like more freedom may be thats why =)

Ok so I OCed to 4ghz with some core voltage increment to 1.475v . What is the highest recorded stable speed with air cooler for AMD phenom ii 1055t if I may ask?
I want to use it daily. I use Noctua 14 so I have no issues with long run of cooling and temps are below 50 with stress for 2 hours straight for 4ghz.

Ok so I OCed to 4ghz with some core voltage increment to 1.475v . What is the highest recorded stable speed with air cooler for AMD phenom ii 1055t if I may ask?
I want to use it daily. I use Noctua 14 so I have no issues with long run of cooling and temps are below 50 with stress for 2 hours straight for 4ghz.

I have no idea what the record overclock for this CPU is on air. I can tell you most do not get to 4.0 on air with the 1055T. 3.7-3.8 is pretty common though. Temps are the most important thing but I still would not exceed about 1.525 CPU core voltage for 24/7. You also have to consider the strain on the motherboard of high voltages when pushing overclocks to the limit.

Deniz, be careful that you do not hijack the OP's thread. A question here or there is fine but it's not good forum etiquette to take it over. If you need very much help yourself then please start your own thread.

Hey Trents .... This quote from another thread was confirmed by BeepBeep2 with his UD5 MB for TMPIN1 and 2 by BeepBeep himself .....

Confirmed, TMPIN1 is socket temperature.
TMPIN2 seems to be VRMs, reached 80c in no time with CPU under load. (Phenom II in this machine)

However the socket temperature reads between 5 and 10c low. My 965 hit 68c load on cores, and the max reached for TMPIN1 was 63c.

This CPU is on the stock cooler, which is the reason for high temps.

Bassnut, can we be sure those TIMPIN1 and 2 assignments that you quote from Beepy will hold true from board to board just because it was tested and found to be that way on the particular board Beepy was using?

Your probably right trents .... though I have heard many many refer to TMPIN1 as socket temp. Mostly with reference to the Gigabyte boards. BeepBeep was the first refference I can recall for TMPIN2 and I have heard as much speculation as well.

Back