• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC beginner. Have some questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know anything about the heatsink you have, but your temps sure seem to be high (70C). My Q9300 @ 3.5 GHz (467 FSB) @ 1.30 volts only runs about 50-55C. You might try replacing the thermal paste on that heatsink, or possibly replace the heatsink with a better one.

well i just raised my cpu fan speed and the load temps are are in the mid 60s now

I don't know what your goals are for overclocking, but you could probably hit 4GHz with that CPU and mobo. I just don't know if that particular heatsink is going to be good enough. You might be able to lap the heatsink and apply some good thermal paste and reduce your temps enough to go higher.

Yea for now I think this OC will do, but I plan on getting water cooling in a bit to push it further

tweaked my OC up a bit, from 400 to 425 FSB, left the voltage alone but i did increase the cpu fan speed, I ran prime for about an hour and it seemed fine, temps were only mid 60c compared to the mid 70 i had before. I dont think i need to worry about the temps other than when im stress testing, when im playing crysis it runs mid 50s

Back