• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC help, first time overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mortabis

Hi all, I recently got a 8120, 990fx Crosshair V and 16gb of 1866 Corsair Vengeance ram to upgrade my PC. I have a 5850 that I will be replacing once the 7970's go down in price on or around the 10th of may. Anyways, to make a long story short; the Crosshair V is such a friendly board for overclocking, I decided to give it a go. Running prime95 at stock settings produces no errors at all.
==========
CPU ratio is set at 21.5 this gets me to 4.3ghz.
CPU volts is at 1.487500
This is stable, I have ran Prime95 for 4 hours without any errors, with temps 61c at full load.
==========
RAM OC'ed at 1866.
RAM timing is 9-10-9-27.
RAM volts 1.5 stock.
This RAM is designed to run at this speed. BUT I have encountered problems in both prime95 and memtest86. In prime95 I experienced this error
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
At first I thought it was the processor so I reset the ram's OC to default and ran Prime95 again. This time I received all pass after running the test for 4 hours.
Now I suspect the ram is at fault and ran all 4 4 gig sticks threw all 8 test memtest86 has for 4 hours with the ram OC'ed at 1866 this was about 2 complete test at which one passed and one failed. After receiving the errors I decided to run each stick threw the 8 test individually without the ram being overclocked 2 times with no errors.
Then, I overclocked only one stick of ram and ran it on just test 8 for 4 hours, again. No errors.

And last but not least, I plugged all 4 sticks back in at overclocked speed 1866, ran test 8 and received 2 errors and 1 pass after 3 runs. Adjusted the voltage on the ram to 1.6 re ran the test and got 2 more errors.

Next I am going to run all 4 sticks at 1333mhz and see if I get more errors or not.

Now for the question, Is this An issue with the ram, and issue with overclocking, or an issue with a bad DIMM slot?

I would give your ram a tad of over voltage, maybe .025 or .05. I would also give the CPUNB a small bump in voltage.

I would give your ram a tad of over voltage, maybe .025 or .05. I would also give the CPUNB a small bump in voltage.

Ok will give that a try once I get back from school. I ram memtest last night with stock settings on my ram with no errors, so I now know its just the overclocking and not a bad DIMM slot. Thanks for your help :)

I bumped up the NB voltage as well as the ram voltage a bit and so far I am not getting any errors on prime95, of course it has only been running about 10 minutes. Hopefully this is it. I have been working on this for 4 days now.

Back