• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCF takes out the US leg of the Gigabyte Overclocking Events

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ranger, all I can say is, I'll try my best :beer:

G, don't sweat it, *I* know you can still kick my benching butt almost any day of the week and that's what counts ;) Mark's right, it wouldn't have been the same. I am really glad that I got to meet everyone.

Pic from Sat. night (L->R): sno.lcn, toddm27, Maxi, me, Collin from Gigabyte

giga19.jpg

Oh I wouldn't have missed it for the world, it was awesome meeting you guys, and you know I was having a blast the whole way through.

I'm just getting sick of all the inquires. No one else outside of the top 3 is having to hear it.

Don't sweat it, this format could make anyone look bad. Thats probably why Vince didn't go :D

Anyway, it's only a matter of time till you remind everyone of your abilities.

Second that, it was tough, especially if you have a chip/board/mem that won't anywhere near what you're used to, but it kind of levelled the field in a way. I (and I imagine most) had to pretty much feel the system out during the benches. I never got to play with GTLs, skews or mem for that matter. At least Mark got to PL=7. I put it on 8 and left it there all day. Heck, I set primary timings to 7-7-7-22 and everything else was on auto.

I wish we had like an hour to prep (or prep the night before) and an hour or more to actually feel out the individual systems or swap procs prior to benching. Clocks definitely would've been higher across the board and things would've been a lot different (like I would've come in 8th ;)). I felt like it was a mad rush to get everything set up with about 10 min. left to see where it would clock to. It was probably longer than that, but it felt I like only tried and rebooted about 3x before it was time to run.

I guess it kept things interesting in a different way, but all the scores produced there could be totally blown by within a couple hours at home. With the exception of 06, I guarantee I can beat all my scores on an E8500 with DI. I guess I am going to submit mine from the event since they're probably still top 5 for hwbot ATM.

So when you get you board G, fire it up and show everyone what you could've done :beer:

It was an awesome weekend, I was expecting nothing more than to just put faces to screen names after all these years and have some LN2 fun :D

LOL, I'll probably get my a$$ handed to me there. There will be more competitors I think and definitely more benches, so it will be tough one no matter what. The benchers worldwide are just outstanding, I'll just be happy to have benched in the same room them even if I come in last place ;)

I think maybe it won't be just me going to Taiwan, but I don't want to jinx anything yet, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed!

LOL, the way this competition was run, it was pretty much a quick draw. I, and I am sure anyone there, could blow their scores away with time to play, but try putting together a brand new system for the first time with completely untested h/w straight for LN2 on the first boot and the second you turn it on bench with a strict time limit :beer: It's not really conducive to highest clocks or best scores. With a couple of days or even a couple of hours, they would be higher for sure, but 20-40 minutes to clock and finish benches is not much, especially on 3Ds. Even if you practiced on the identical h/w that would be used at the event, there was no telling how the same h/w there would respond.

h/w was QX9650, Gigabyte X48T-DQ6, Corsair DDR3-2000, Gigabyte 9600GT, WD SATA HDD, Gigbabyte 1200W PSU, monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Stations were drawn by randomly picking cards and procs were picked at will. I don't think anyone picked any specific one, but they were all the same batch (Q744?) and week, except for 2-3 that were the same batch only a different week IIRC.

sno, yeah, that definitely stunk up the place, I was so happy I was sitting next to you for that :beer:

Ah I see only a 9600GT..well those are good scores for that card....

What a blast that was I bet...

Performance under pressure separates the men from the boys.

Ranger, all I can say is, I'll try my best :beer:

G, don't sweat it, *I* know you can still kick my benching butt almost any day of the week and that's what counts ;) Mark's right, it wouldn't have been the same. I am really glad that I got to meet everyone.

Pic from Sat. night (L->R): sno.lcn, toddm27, Maxi, me, Collin from Gigabyte

giga19.jpg

Wow Maxi's short in height.... looooooong in overclocking skills. ;)

Yeah those guys are all actually even tinier in reality lol. I had a splitting headache and jet lag at that time cuz it felt like 4 in the morning to me so I guess I missed the pic...but I think the only one in that pic taller than me is Todd, maybe Jeremy, and I'm only 5' 9".

Yep, that part was really nice actually. The hard drives had a fully configured windows installation ready to go. We just had to plug them in. :D

LOL I think you caught some guy picking his nose in your video Mark :)

3/4 of the way to the end, an big asian guy in a red shirt sitting down to the right of the screen :)

Not 100% sure its a nosepicking, but it looks like it could be!

Gautam, dont sweat it man. This seems like it was more of a social benching session than a true competition.

Your reputation here, and other OC forums is among the best. Everyone knows you as an accomplished, knowledgable computer/OC expert. Just enjoy the time you had down there and let the rest roll off your back like water on a newly waxed car :D

I finally got back home a few minutes ago. Meeting and benching with everyone was incredible.

Haha I was messing with something and either Gautam or Chris was like "Hey! Your board is smoking!" They cleared the room out to let wait for the smell to go away. I definitely should have changed the CPU when I got a new board because it ran like crap after that and I couldn't even get an 06 score worth posting :bang head I wonder if anyone got a picture of the smoking board? :D

I think what happened was when I got a cold bug I was warming up with a hair dryer, whick melted the ice and I guess some water got in somewhere, even though the board had a good bit of vaseline :rolleyes:

I didn't take many pics (and only like 2 with someone in them and I think they may have both been of Chris) but I'll get them up soon :)
Your board looked like it was soaked to me lol.

The roasting smell was more golden than any 06 score coulda been. :p

I wish someone got a pic of the smoke, all I got was the box they put it in.

I posted these on XS too.

Bringing the LN2.
pict0191sr2.jpg

Gom with the LN2.
pict0192ya4.jpg

pict0195kb2.jpg

pict0213fs6.jpg

The pile of some of the hardware we got to play with.
pict0197vr9.jpg

pict0198gj5.jpg

pict0209sz3.jpg

pict0210tj1.jpg

pict0212yb8.jpg

pict0216dm3.jpg

Your board looked like it was soaked to me lol.

The roasting smell was more golden than any 06 score coulda been. :p
It scared the crap out of me because we were at the same table...I thought it was mine :) I vaguely remember the Gigabyte videographer getting there in about 2 sec. to get that on tape :D We do get a copy of the vid from there, right? That's going to be so cool to see...youtube will have a bandwidth outage when it's posted.

Unless I am shrinking, I was 5'9" too the last time I checked G.

Great pics Jeremy...that "fry board" box is priceless :D

Maybe it's because you were always kinda hunched and had that solemn, depressed look as you proceeded to own all of us. I clearly remember being able to see past Mark's head while standing directly behind him.

I wish every weekend were as fun as that one. :-/

Maybe it's because you were always kinda hunched and had that solemn, depressed look as you proceeded to own all of us. I clearly remember being able to see past Mark's head while standing directly behind him.

I wish every weekend were as fun as that one. :-/
Hehe, my wife always yells at me for sitting and standing like that. I am probably 6'1" and just don't know it :beer: No doubt, we need a sponsor to do a bench competition with free h/w and LN2 like once a month!

19x QX9650s! :drool: .. Can't wait to see this vid
There were actually 20 of them :)

congrats to you guys again, it was great meeting all of you, and especially watching Jeremy toast a board :D

Back