• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing and Unlocking the 960T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mathius

I'm doing a first time build.

I was considering getting the Asus M5A78L-M lx v2 but realised that the USB3 version was slightly better for Overclocking.

Saying that mATX boards (in my budget) are pretty much no good...

960T (3ghz)
I intend to overclock upto around the 3.4ghz clock speed (on stock cooling) and not really bothered about the hex-core unlock (gaming system and not video editting) but would be nice to have that option as well as Unlock...

I've done a lot of research into motherboards and as a result, am selling my mATX case to replace it with one that can house both ATX and mATX boards...

I know that for a good board that can safely Overclock and Unlock the 960T it needs to have certain things:
8+2 Power Phase
Heatsinked VRM's (or the fall back option using MOSFET Coolers)

coupled with that I need it to have
At least 4 usable SATA ports (after I instal my HD 4870)
4 RAM Slots (preferably - but 2 will do)

As well as in my budget £40 - £80

The board I was looking at was the Asus M4A79XTD-EVO but amazon has put its price back up to £90 :(
This is my next choice Asus M5A97 but i'm not sure on the power phase it.

Finally this board - Asus M4N75TD.

Anyone offer up any other alternatives ?

Many Thanks
M@

Asus M5A97 is a solid board I build a workstation for my brother based off this board. It is a 6+2 phase for the Cpu power which is plenty for the 6core.

Back