• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing FX6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oysti82

So I'm now oc'ing my FX6300.

Posting my results about 20 mins into Prime95.

Loaded the preset overclock setting in UEFI.

Turned mutiplier to x23 (4,6) and set the voltage to 1,425.

Locked the NB at 2400, and HT Link is at 2600. Rest is stock settings and auto.

C1, C6 etc is disabled. Only APM is at Auto.

Any suggestions ? Seeing it's running at just a bit higher temps than I'd prefer, I'd like to lower the voltage some.

Tried first at 1,4V, but one worker stopped after 10mins.

RAM installed now is from my old setup, as I haven't recived my new G.skills yet.

Attachments

• Snap 2012-12-31 at 17.03.28.png
    Snap 2012-12-31 at 17.03.28.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 582
  • Snap 2012-12-31 at 17.03.36.png
    Snap 2012-12-31 at 17.03.36.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 574
  • Snap 2012-12-31 at 17.03.47.png
    Snap 2012-12-31 at 17.03.47.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 569
  • Snap 2012-12-31 at 17.03.58.png
    Snap 2012-12-31 at 17.03.58.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 573
Having a small problem though.

My SoundBlaster-card is not working.

If i "Load Optimized Settings" in bios, it's there.
Just not when running overclocking-settings. And really can't find any place to turn it on.

Graphics-card is working fine though. Wich is set at a PCIex16, sound card is in a PCIex1.

Okay went back to old posts and I see you now have upgraded to FX-6300 and the CHV-z board. Wanted to make sure where you were.

You write >> Loaded the preset overclock setting in UEFI.

I would write >> Why any preset for an overclock? That just does things in the background that are not easily known or seen. That board is so easy to set up in manual mode that only a real beginner would use a preset. IMO.

Alright, soundcard issue fixed.

Worker #6 stopped after 27mins of Prime95, so lowered it abit.
Loaded Optimized settings, put multiplier to x22,5 (4,5).
And Vcore to 1,4125V.
Turned off C1 etc... Running Prime95 again.

Your core temps at 61c are perhaps exceeding the max for stability. You should not be getting temps that high with that amount of vcore and that cooling system and that case with all those fans. Something is wrong there. Please describe to us how you have your radiator fans and your case fans set up with regard to intake/exhaust. What do you mean by the H70 being "side-mounted"? Can you take some digital camera pics of your set up and attach them with a post? I also wonder if your H70 water block is not making good contact or if the TIM isn't done correctly.

Ye those temps are worrying me some. As I believe they were lower on my FX4300 on same settings.

So guess I'm gonna change the paste between cooler and cpu.

Another thing I'm worried about is the air flow in my case. To me it seems to be a bit full.
Thinking about throwing out the sound blaster card, as the onboard audio is more than enough for me.
Maybe I could seat the graphics card on a lower slot then.

Well, hope you get the idea from the picture.

As you can see the H70 is laying on the case there.
It is mounted to the side of the case-wall, wich is removed on the picture.
Got 2 fans on the radiator, pulling air from outside the case.
Also got another fan on the same "case-wall", also pulling air from outside.

On the back of the motherboard there is another fan pulling air from outside, directly onto the back of cpu.

Right now I'm running Prime95, 4,5Ghz @ 1,375V.
At 4,6 i had to use 1,425V for it to run stable for 30 mins in Prime95.

Temps very high for this voltage though. 54 max on the cores :-/

Attachments

• 20121231_115810(1).png
    20121231_115810(1).png
    341.8 KB · Views: 576
Maybe this shows it better.

Attachments

• 20121231_182052.jpg
    20121231_182052.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 578
Temps have dropped 5celsius now after opening the side of the case.

If your temps dropped 5c after taking the side panel off that is a sure sign you have poor case ventilation. Sounds like all your fans are pushing air into the case. You need to have a more or less balanced push-pull effect. If you are not sufficiently extracting air from the case all the hot air produced by components gets trapped inside. Take a look a this pic which shows good case air flow:

Attachments

• case ventilation.JPG
    case ventilation.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 557
You don't want air just moving into the case you want it moving through the case.

There is a total of 4 inlet points, counting the fans for the h70. And 3 exhausts. But i believe the fans and h70 radiator and the memory-cooler sorta blocks the airflow some together with the graphics card beeing placed that high..?

Btw, how would this aircooler do against my Corsair H70 ?
Noctua NH-U9B SE2:
http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=572572

Installed that one in my wifes computer, but could just aswell run that computer with stock cooling. Running stock settings there. Or just move my H70 to hers computer.

Well just to help out here a bit here is the OP's case in post 1 i think just get him to confirm that first! According to the article i will post any Air Cooler under 170mm in height will fit and not snag the door. That being said then he should if possible go for the Silver Arrow Cooler which is 160mm high and most likely do the Job. After he sorts out his cables and fans first, and improves his airflow. AJ. :thup:

1, http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=431&Itemid=61&limit=1&limitstart=4

2, http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=674&Itemid=62

Good luck with the job in hand! ;)

I think the H70 gotta do the job for now. Not buying any new aircooler, was only thinking of the Noctua cause I already got that here.

Next step is going to be a custom waterloop.

But for now I'm gonna figure out a way to increase the airflow through the case, maybe turn around the airflow. Intake at the back and top, and exhaust it in the front. Then I could fit the H70 at the top or the back. Would make the case more "open" inside.

Though I'm suspecting putting new thermal paste on gonna help some too, guess I've applied it bad. I had everything like this with my FX4100 aswell, and temps were much lower with that...

Gonna play a bit with it tomorrow, if I'm feeling well. Now it's off to a new years party ;)

Happy new year all!

Okay your screen capture of HWMon shows Cpu Temp at 51c and yet the Core Temps are showing 61c.
1. That looks like the temps of a stock cpu cooler that comes with the cpu.
2. Plenty of air coming into the case and keeping the Cpu Temp down, BUT not pushing good THRU the radiator.
3. Heatsink not making good contact with cpu or poor heatsink compound application.
4. Cover/Lid on Cpu is not making contact with the silicon below it.

Ok. Had a quick look at the FX4100. At 4,6Ghz@ 1,5V I had a max at 41celsius. It crashed not long after. But still, over 60 at 1,425ish doesn't sound right...

Okay your screen capture of HWMon shows Cpu Temp at 51c and yet the Core Temps are showing 61c.
1. That looks like the temps of a stock cpu cooler that comes with the cpu.
2. Plenty of air coming into the case and keeping the Cpu Temp down, BUT not pushing good THRU the radiator.
3. Heatsink not making good contact with cpu or poor heatsink compound application.
4. Cover/Lid on Cpu is not making contact with the silicon below it.

Nonetheless, he reports that when he removes the side panel his temps drop 5c. Of course, the radiator is mounted to the side panel so that might have something to do with it.

Back