• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing FX6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nonetheless, he reports that when he removes the side panel his temps drop 5c. Of course, the radiator is mounted to the side panel so that might have something to do with it.

Eyeppers don't doubt it.

Why I wrote this like this >> 2. Plenty of air coming into the case and keeping the Cpu Temp down, BUT not pushing good THRU the radiator. From what I was seeing written it seemed to me the air THRU the radiator was being hindered with everything else blowing into the case. When he removed the side-cover the radiator could blow THRU the radiator easily since the fans on rad are not having to push air into a already pressurized case.

Robert, that makes sense. As I told OP it sounded like he had a lot of fans blowing in but not enough taking it out. Maybe he needs more powerful exhaust fans to create some negative pressure in the case or maybe just to turn some of the existing ones around.

All cases seem to differ in cooling to some degree. In theory I like the side-mounted radiator pretty well it removes the rad from right over the VRMs I would believe. Then the fans from rad could blow in, but I would think the lower front fan should still blow in and the rear upper fan out and the top of case fan out as well. I would believe that most optimal. Of course it will be a case of test and see.

Happy New Years to ALL. RGone...ster.

Guy's i know its not my place to comment but, he has a Rats nest of cables in the way and from what i see also kinks in his pipe lines as well! I think he needs some serious cable management. AJ. :shrug: ;)

I kinda regret I didn't go for the AX-series power supply, wich has modular cables. But anyways, the cables look worse than it is, they are pretty much rounded flat on the bottom of the case. But I'm gonna have a look at those pipe lines.
Just gotta recover some first :)

But also. When I had the FX4300 installed I had much better temps. And the enviroment in the case is exactly the same. So I hope it is mostly badly applied thermal paste. If not, maybe that kink on the pipe lines came while installing the new stuff.

Hey sorry did not mean to hurt anyone, but i looked at the photo and that's what came to my mind! Maybe you could look into getting rid of the HDD Cages or something as it said in the review your case when set up. Has really good air flow you need to step back and think which way to go on this? Here are some photo's of my case to look at. AJ. ;) :thup:

P.S. Sorry you can not see very well my cables, but you can see the HDD Cages have gone. This is to increase airflow front to back as you can see i spent 2 or more days just tidying my cables!

Attachments

• Philip's update Photo's 12.jpg
    Philip's update Photo's 12.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
  • Philip's update Photo's 15A.jpg
    Philip's update Photo's 15A.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Philip's update Photo's 23A.jpg
    Philip's update Photo's 23A.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Hehe, no hurt feelings here. Just typing on the phone :p
Have removed some of the hdd-cage. Used to go all the way to bottom of the cage. Gonna see if I can remove the rest.
Notice you have the AX, guess that gives you a bit fewer cables laying around :p But it sure looks tidy and clean :)
But gonna need to clear the bottom for cables somehow anyways, as I believe I'll place a 240 rad there.

Was thinking of moving the H70 rad to the back of the case. Putting one of the fans on the outside. Thing is, then it's gonna be pulling air from inside the case, and push it out. But guess the air-temp in the case is not going to be that much higher than outside if it helps get the airflow going ?
If there is room I could mount one fan where the H70-rad is mounted now, wich would blow air from outside the case straight onto the h70.

Also, what's left of the HDD-cage is popped. What I could do is lower the fan some, then the hdd-cage won't be that much of an obstruction.

Ok, did some changes in the case.
The fans for on H70 is exhausting air from the inside and out.
Moved the fan in the front a notch down, so the HDD-cage don't get in it's way.

Have 1 fan mounted on the sidewall not showing on the picture, as intake.
Also got a fan at the bottom as intake not showing on the picture.

Intake: 3 fans, 4 including the one at the back blowing on the backside of the cpu.

Outlet: 3, 2 fans at the top and fans on the H70.

Helped a bit at the air flow through the case, but not with the CPU :/

Edit: Just wanna add that the cables at the fan in the front is not obstructing it in any way. They are all laying onto the backwall.

Attachments

• 20130101_191451.jpg
    20130101_191451.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Snap 2013-01-01 at 19.44.48.png
    Snap 2013-01-01 at 19.44.48.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 94
You write >> Have 1 fan mounted on the sidewall not showing on the picture, as intake.
Also got a fan at the bottom as intake not showing on the picture.

I write >> Disable those two fans for a test and see what the result is. You might also try disabling only that fan on the side case cover and see what happens.

Ok, did some tests now with different settings for the fans.
Turned off all the fans, except the front intake and the fans on the H70.
Very little difference really, temps increased with 2-3 celsius.

Guessing the issue here might be the H70 then ?

Ok, did some tests now with different settings for the fans.
Turned off all the fans, except the front intake and the fans on the H70.
Very little difference really, temps increased with 2-3 celsius.

Guessing the issue here might be the H70 then ?

Not necessarily. If there is hot air in your case then your H70 is getting hot air pushed through the radiator. That's not good. Good case cooling is about getting hot air OUT of the case more than it is about getting cool air INTO the case. I would suggest having more exhaust fans and fewer intake fans. The exhaust fans will naturally suck cool air into the case as they blow the hot air out. You definitely want your top fans and rear fans exhausting air out and you should have a front fan and/or a bottom fan bringing cool air in. You'll have to play around with side fans. Sometimes it's better to have them blowing cool air into the case over the GPU and sometimes it's better to have them blowing hot air out away from the GPU. At any rate... you should have more exhaust fans than intake fans. If you have too much intake and not enough exhaust then you'll have hot air just circulating around inside the case with nowhere to go, and that will lead to the H70 getting hot air for the radiator.

One other idea... Check your fan speed on your GPU. If your GPU fans are running slow then hot air from the GPU will be rising up to the H70 instead of getting blown out the back of the case from the GPU exhaust.

Edit: Based on the picture that you showed in your second to last post, I would suggest moving your front intake fan to the bottom of the case or adding an intake fan on the side. The space between the giant GPU and HDD cage is not very big. Your cool air coming in is probably getting trapped under the GPU. If you have the fan on the bottom you might be able to blow that cool air right up past the GPU. A side fan would also bring cool air in above the GPU. I think your GPU is acting as a barrier to the cool air while also producing hot air. Move that front fan/add a side fan and crank up the GPU fans.

I do have the top fans, rear fan exhausting. Same with bottom and front as intake.
GPU is idling at 33 celsius. So not much heat produced there really.

Also I've tried both the h70 rad/fans mounted as intake on the side, while having another exhaust on the back. And now the h70 rad/fans is mounted on the rear as exhaust. Temp were pretty much the same.

The biggest difference I get on the temps is on "CPU" while turning off the fan on the backside of the motherboard, wich is blowing directly onto the the backside of the CPU-socket. Other than that temps are the same.
Air flow is 27ish, same with Mainboard.

What I'm concidering regarding the GPU is moving it further down.
Gonna remove the sound card then.
Right now GPU is placed in top slot PCIe-x16, is there any difference in the performance on the slot called PCIe-x16/8 ?
Might get higher GPU-temps from this though, but we'll see.

juane414 that idea of less in that out seems valid most of the time. I suggested he try the bottom of case innie to off and he has a side fan right beside the Radiator which is also mounted on the side cover and I suggested he turn if off also at same time for a test. Then only the side fan blowing in off.

I smoke and I have used the smoke to show me what fans do to air and it is amazing. As you say a ton of fans in and no more than that out...I have seen the smoke just SIT inside the case. I have seen fans blowing air across each others air flow, make a mini-tornado and smoke sort of stay in place also. Odd crap is air flow in a case.

I think really that it is time to RMA that cpu since it is surely acting an odd-duck.

Looking at the thread were I was trying to OC my FX4100.
Remember all the fan/cooling-setup is exactly the same as then.

Was running the FX4100 on 1,5V
Airflow and motherboard-temps were pretty much the same as I've got now.
But CPU was 37 at max, and cores at 47 max. And that was on 1,5V. I'm only doing 1,375V now.
Is the 6300 supposed to run that much hotter ?

I'm starting to believe I've been unlucky with my appliance of the thermal paste. Just a bit weird getting it wrong 2 times now, especially when I seemed to get it correct when I was using my FX4100.

Edit: Tomorrow I'll do some testing with the FX4100 on this motherboard, and see how the temps go then. Bit late to start with that now.

Your temps definitely seem high to me. I'm hitting max temps of 54c on my FX 8320 @ 4.5GHz 1.475v. The FX 6300 should be even cooler than that. Considering that you have a better cooler than what I have, you probably should be below 50c max.

One other idea is to check the temperature of your room. Not sure where you live, but the temperature in my room is much hotter right now than it was a couple of months ago now that it is winter and the heat is running instead of the air conditioning. There's no way your room temp should be affecting your rig that much but it could make a small difference.

Ok, did some testing with my FX4100. It's getting way higher temps than it did last time i had it in. So I believe that confirms the problem is not with my 6300-chip then.

What I did notice though, wich I'm hoping is the issue. Is one of the 4 screws wich fastens the cooler onto the cpu, had some problems with the threads. So it wasn't 100% screwed into the backplate like it should be, I'll have to adress to this tomorrow then, as I most likely gonna need to remove the backplate etc.
Hope this gonna sort things out.

I am actually about 15 degrees higher now on max temp with my FX4100 @1,45V than I had when running over 1,5V on it.

It actually seems that it was the threads on the backplate beeing messed up. Wich most likely has broken the threads on the screw. Bet'ya they're not gonna be easy to get :p

Back