• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing FX6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes its better sometimes to be more realistic and have a good working system, if you where in a Benching Comp then yeah! But as i said to you before you have to step back and think what do i really want? And do i need to go that far! AJ.

What setting should i keep LLC on ?
It's sat at Extreme now.

I just backed down on the Vcore, to see how long it'll last in Prime95.

Vcore is sat at 1,45V. But CPUID says it's at 1,49 when running Prime95. Wich obviously gives me high temps. Stopped it at 60c.

EDIT: "Ultra High" seemed to do the trick. Vcore stays at 1,45 now under load.

Last edited:
Erm... Doesn't seem like my BIOS-version is compatible with my cpu...
Works though, maybe just not 100% ?

According to CPU-Z I've got version 0704, support for FX6300 came on version 0806.

However, I'm about 60 mins into Prime 95 now.

4,5Ghz @ 1,3875V. Only using multiplier.

NB 2400 @ 1,2875V
HT 2600.

Cores max 54c, mostly at 50-51c
CPU max 47c.

Seems to me 4,5 really is the sweetspot.

Those temps are safe and should not exceed the stability envelope. I would update the bios if I were you to the version that fully supports your CPU. If for some reason the bios update gives problems you can always reflash it with the old one.

Those temps are safe and should not exceed the stability envelope. I would update the bios if I were you to the version that fully supports your CPU. If for some reason the bios update gives problems you can always reflash it with the old one.

Ye, just downloaded the newest BIOS now.

Also, after 1hr 23mins one of my workers dropped out on me.
But I think I'm gonna call that stable for my use..?

Not using my computer for anything work-related. And not using it for rendering etc.
Just gaming and web-surfing.

I have learned a lot perusing the ROG Guides and Tutorials for the CHV mobo. This is from one of their guides written by Raja. I had seen him write he would n0t update the guide unless the -Z board varied considerably from the previous CHV non-Z board.
Cpu Load Line Calibration Options:
1. Auto (Auto normally defaults to Extreme)
2. Regular
3. Medium
4. High
5. Ultra High
6. Etreme (Auto defaults to this setting)

CPU Load Line Calibration: The “Regular” option sets a margin between the user set voltage and the actual voltage to ensure that the real-time voltage level does not breach (overshoot) the set VID by longer than AMD specifications.

Medium and High, set a tighter margin between the idle and full load voltage, so that idle voltage does not need to be ramped excessively to meet full-load voltage requirements when the processor is overclocked.

Ultra-High and Extreme may over-volt past what you’ve set in BIOS in an attempt to ensure that the voltage does not sag below the applied voltage for a long duration (when the VRM is faced with a heavy load). Auto is currently configured to default to Extreme LLC, so it's an idea to set Medium or High manually if you do not want any visible over-voltage.

We prefer to use the Medium setting for most overclocking as it seems to compliment the transient response of the VRM (Vdroop on the Medium setting is around 0.05V on the current BIOSes).NOTE: That statement says current bioses. I read that as it might change in a later bios but not necesarily.END NOTE.

I normally use the HIGH setting so that I know the Vcore set by me in bios is most often the actual Vcore used when running under load. Some are of the opinion that setting a 'low' Vcore in bios and a 'high/er' LLC will keep the voltage lower most of the time when not loaded. I don't like doing that method as if fools me into thinking my *needed* Vcore is less than it really amounts to under load. So there are two schools of thought.

Screenshot of teh CHV non-Z board.
llcscreen.jpg

Just deleted a post i just posted.
Was getting some different results when playing with my fans. But the BIG difference was there due to LLC beeing on different settings.

Felt the urge to play some more with my OC'ing :)

How high have you ever had your HT Link before it starts giving problems ? I'm at 2660 now, and wondering if I need to lower the multiplier on HT Link or leave it be, before i start upping FSB some more.
20 mins into Prime now with 4,6Ghz @ 1,425V. FSB at 204. NB @ 2455.
Core temps maxed out at 60, but stays pretty stable at 57 now. Same with CPU.

Erm... Doesn't seem like my BIOS-version is compatible with my cpu...
Works though, maybe just not 100% ?

It's possible that you need to update your BIOS. A lot of AM3+ motherboards that came out before Vishera/Piledriver can run the CPUs just fine, but the older BIOS might not recognize it properly. I'm not sure how an older BIOS would affect performance. It probably varies by board. I would check if there is an update anyway. My motherboard (in sig) shipped with an older BIOS and I had to update it right out of the box.

It's possible that you need to update your BIOS. A lot of AM3+ motherboards that came out before Vishera/Piledriver can run the CPUs just fine, but the older BIOS might not recognize it properly. I'm not sure how an older BIOS would affect performance. It probably varies by board. I would check if there is an update anyway. My motherboard (in sig) shipped with an older BIOS and I had to update it right out of the box.

Sorry, forgot to mention that. BIOS is updated. Didn't really seem to do much of a difference really.

Hmm... No. 1101. 15/11/2012 actually. Must've gotten out right after I updated.
Also, running Prime with fsb at 205 and 206 @ 1,43V no workers dropped out.
Instead the whole system froze, did not reboot by itself or bluescree, just froze up.
Could that be from the high HT Link or NB ? Think HT Link was 2680 or something then.

Well my friend i am no AMD GURU here just a guy trying to help, you did not mention what OS your running! AND YES its a Stability up date which i myself always do those on my Bios. Because they can include the up date for newer CPU's which your trying to OC and run. I think a quick way is to look yourself i just Googled your Mobo and entered a OS. AJ.

Sorry for butting in here.

Last edited:
I am running Win7 64bit.
Also I was not aware that there was a new BIOS for me.
Updated mine maybe like a week ago, so really didn't thought of looking for a new one as the BIOS I'm using now was the newest one then.

Yep that's the one i posted in no 71 for you maybe time for a think here before you OC anymore! IF so every thing back to "stock first" then up date the bios, its your choice. AJ.

Ah ye, I'm updating my BIOS for sure before bothering with anything more.
Also going to do a clean Windows-install, as there might be some drivers etc left from my old mobo/video-card.

How high should I allow the temps to go btw ?
The highest temps I've dared to have so far is 62 on the cores, and I believe it was 58 on CPU then.
I don't care if it shortens my cpu's life-span some. Don't want it to die after 6 months though...

One thing I've noticed on my CHV-z, is that the LLC might seem to be slightly different than CHV.
Believe I've read that RGone was using "High" on his CHV, as that were giving him the vcore values he has sat in BIOS.

On my CHV-z, "High" gives me lower values. CPU-Z shows me it keeps jumping between 1.3928V - 1.404V, while I've sat it at 1.425V in BIOS.
Though on "Ultra High" it gives me the correct value.
"Extreme" gave me 1.46V while I sat it on 1.425V in BIOS.

Been following this thread closely. Lot of good info here I plan to use in the very near futur as my new FX 6300 machine will be arriving Tuesday.

Back