• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing RAM with XMP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

P A U L

Registered
So I'm a bit confused as to what I can do to overclock my RAM. I have XMP enabled, and I'm not entirely certain what it's supposed to do...or whether there are additional configs I should/could do. THough...I also don't really 'need' to OC anything since I'm not doing anything super amazing with my computer.

Does enabling XMP on BIOS an actual "OC"?

It would be helpful to know what systemnyou have... maybe create a signature we can reference??

That said, XMP is likely overclocking your processors IMC, but not the sticks as they are rated for the xmp setting.

I use my 3200MT/s XMP profile to achieve speeds over 3800MT/s, because I am lazy.. for up to 3800 I set my own timings.. they are fairly tight.

This is with XMP enabled. I don't know what he numbers would be w/o XMP enabled.

And this is the RAM

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM (PC4-19200) DDR4 2400 CL15-15-15-35 1.20V Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15D-16GVR​

Attachments

• 1cpu.jpg
    1cpu.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 2cpu.jpg
    2cpu.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 3cpu.jpg
    3cpu.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 14
So in the BIOS dropdown menu, if I selected say.... 4800 instead of the currently 2400..... will my RAM melt? Explode? Zap?

So, while terribly ignorant of RAM "timing"
...and after many failed bootups

it would appear I have successfully managed to find a stable "overclock" from the pulldown menu.

my 2400 ram is now 3000. 15-15-15-35 2T. i don't know if those numbers are good.

also, i don't know why i overclock my PC when i don't do anything with it

Attachments

• q.jpg
    q.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1
So, while terribly ignorant of RAM "timing"
...and after many failed bootups

it would appear I have successfully managed to find a stable "overclock" from the pulldown menu.

my 2400 ram is now 3000. 15-15-15-35 2T. i don't know if those numbers are good.

also, i don't know why i overclock my PC when i don't do anything with it
You have come to the right place for OCing for unknown reasons....:D

Shes rippin now. What happens when you try 16-16-16-38 2T 1.35-1.4v?
I get fan speed errors when I try to set voltage to 1.40.

Seems the RAM itself is willing to load 3200 16-21-21-40... but the CPU fan speed isn't having it and keeps forcing me into BIOS to adjust the fan. When I reduce voltage to 1.35 then all is happy again.

So I'm back to 3000, 15-15-15-35.

Since you are trying to overclock your ram beyond stock BIOS defaults or your kits particular XMP settings it would be helpful to know the DRAM IC manufacturer as well as the specific IC revision that is spec'd in your memory kit. You can sometimes find the DRAM maker listed in the CPUZ SPD tab. You can also sometimes find the IC revision with Thaiphoon Burner software (freeware).

http://softnology.biz/files.html

G.Skill memory kit with Samsung B-die IC:

Crucial Ballistix memory kit with Micron E-die IC:

Samsung B-die.png

Micron E-die.png

Last edited:
Overclocking with XMP is the best configuration from the RAM manufacturer as a start-up setting at least. In my situation, my DDR4 is on 3600MHz default. With an unchanged 1.35v voltage, it is effortlessly able to be configured to 4000MHz. Was tested both with and without XMP+manual/auto timing+manual voltage, it was able on reaching up to 4400MHz and 4333MHz but they are not the limit yet, hence I used my rig on heavy video editing, this is a very useful OC that need to be done plus adding more RAM capacities is an absolute clever step, depending on your requirements. In my opinion, it is not all about who has the fastest RAM on the planet, in competition, no one is gonna stop when one achievement is obtained and that is why there will be always a new one in a short time, but rather chasing all of that on time, you should know what is your target for achieving it based on your needs

Last edited:
Back