• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd substance on my AMD 8150 3.6GHz CPU not OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jason Webb

Hello,

I got my new chassis today took everything out of my old chassis and put this in my new chassis. well today when I removed the Corsair H100 LCHP Cooler there was what looked like liquid on top of the processor under the LC copper head. my mediate thought was jezus this looks as though its been overheating. But that's the point it hasn't been overheating because has been at a steady 32C but I thought that the MB was on the high side of 34C when its normally at 28C. I've been getting crazy abnormal messages about voltage on the NB and SB since I've updated the BIOS to 1002. I've never seen liquid on a CPU before and I don't know where this come from. the LC is fine there are no leaks which made me think that it was overheating. The MB, memory and chassis are all new. The CPU isn't even 12 months old. not quite sure what the liquid substance was, it was around the outside of the compound. very odd indeed. I have read reports that the 1002 has bugs which will be resold in BIOS update 1004.

Suggestion would be appreciated.

Last edited:
My first thought would be that the liquid is some component of the TIM which has separated out from the solids in the TIM. Were you using the TIM that came with the water kit?

My first thought would be that the liquid is some component of the TIM which has separated out from the solids in the TIM. Were you using the TIM that came with the water kit?

+1. Arctic Silver used to have some kind of liquid, and then the solid/viscous part of the TIM.

It probably does not matter what we think/thought it might have been since he did not take a high-resolution picture and has not even answered back.

It probably does not matter what we think/thought it might have been since he did not take a high-resolution picture and has not even answered back.

It's been less than 24 hours... Cut the guy some slack.

+1. Arctic Silver used to have some kind of liquid, and then the solid/viscous part of the TIM.

The first squirt of the last 3 tubes of AS that I've bought had some of the components seperated-- This led to pools of liquid on any chip I applied that first squirt to. Temps were about 3-5c warmer than if you used anything underneath that first squirt :p

I'm assuming this is the case for him as well. What kind of heat issue would cause liquid to pool on the surface of the CPU that isn't TIM?

The first squirt of the last 3 tubes of AS that I've bought had some of the components seperated-- This led to pools of liquid on any chip I applied that first squirt to. Temps were about 3-5c warmer than if you used anything underneath that first squirt :p

I'm assuming this is the case for him as well. What kind of heat issue would cause liquid to pool on the surface of the CPU that isn't TIM?

Your assumption was spot on with the compound separating. it's something I've never seen before, When I said about the BIOS I was referring to crazy voltages which some people have been experiencing with the latest BIOS for Crosshair V Formula-Z. I spoke yo the manufacturers of the compound and they said it can happen if the compound is out of date...? the chemicals can separate. I didn't know there was a date on compound...?

Arctic Silver recommends storing their products with the tube plunger facing up in the air. I've had that first squirt produce liquid too. If you store it vertically the liquid floats to the top and will be the last thing pushed out by the plunger and then not till all the solids are gone and the tube is empty.

Just about any heat sink compound has a shelf life. Finding the time is pretty hard on most.

Crazy voltages on VHV-z has been a problem. Asus will have to work it out. I understood but not validated that they made the cpu voltages on the CHV-z much finer in control and was causing a problem No real validation.

Back